Nashville Gas Runs Dry as Rumor Spreads

Censport

Car(s)
Xterra, '63 Corvair, '06 Yamaha FZ6
Nashville Gas Runs Dry as Rumor Spreads

CNN

(Sept. 20) - Call it a self-fulfilling prophecy: An estimated three-fourths of gas stations in the Nashville, Tennessee, area ran dry Friday, victim of an apparent rumor that the city was running out of gas.
"Everybody has just gone nuts," said Mike Williams, executive director of the Tennessee Petroleum Council.

He said he has no idea about the origin of a rumor that there was going to be no gas in Nashville. One reporter called him, saying she had heard that Nashville would be without gas within the hour, he said.

Hearing the rumor, drivers rushed to fill their cars and trucks.

CNN called 13 Nashville gas stations at random. Only two reported having gas, and one said it was almost out. The stations said they were being told they would not get more until Monday or Tuesday.

Katie Givens Kime, visiting from Atlanta, Georgia, was trying to fill up her tank for the trip home when she ran into trouble -- when she was already low on gas.

"We panicked and looked online," she said. "And holy cow, there is no gas in the city. ... It has definitely gripped the city, for sure."

One store clerk told her there was no way she could get gas to go back home, she said.

Williams said some drivers were following gas trucks to see where they were headed, and lines at some stations were a mile long. Fuel was continuing to enter the city, however, as pipelines were working and barges were coming in.
He likened it to Southerners rushing out to stock up on bread and milk when they hear it might snow. As stations began running low, the situation snowballed, he said.

One station reported selling as much gas Friday as it usually does in a weekend, Williams said.

The phenomenon seemed to be isolated to the Nashville area, he said.

Givens Kime said she found a station online that still had gas and waited more than an hour to pump it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Read the rest here:
http://www.walletpop.com/article/_a...s/182147?icid=100214839x1209976384x1200603109

This is the crap I had to put up with this weekend. You'll notice in the pictures how many of the vehicles waiting in line for fuel are SUVs. Same idiot mentality. I had to buy fuel at the track this weekend, at $5.25/gallon. Which was better than sitting in line with these idiots for an hour.

That the young woman working the track's fuel sales was very hot and wearing a low-cut top helped ease the pain. (Sorry guys, no pics.)

Last edited:
:roflmao: it's amazing how dumb some people can be. It was true though, the gas was running out.

Ever notice that this sort of shit only seems to happen in America?

Ever notice that this sort of shit only seems to happen in America?
No, stupid shit happens all the time in Europe. Hell, Adam Carolla has done a bit on Loveline and then his show for many years called "Germany or Florida" where they read a news article (with names removed) about something stupid that happened and then they guess if it's Germany or Florida. It's surprisingly hard to tell.

Stupid is universal. You just hear a lot about it here as we're so big and the media here is always looking for a story.

Yeah, I know stupid stuff happens in Europe. But I'm talking about these oil panics, with huge waiting lines at gas stations. Seems to happen every few years.....

That shit happened here last week. Ike took out a bit of the refineries in Texas so some of the gas facilities started running a little low on gas. No big deal really, but then some ass nugget in the media or just in general goes "OMG WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF GAS!" and all the sheep run out an buy gas when they normally wouldn't have and amazingly the stations run out of gas. Then people bitch about the price, Jesus I hate that, they're the bozo's who caused it to get jacked in the first place.

The biggest acheivement of the green scam is convincing the general public that petrol is going to run out tomorrow.

Allow me to post some relevant, sort-of old Sniff...

PETROL PANIC!

petrolstationqueue.jpg

There was good news for dumb, selfish twats yesterday as reports that a regular tanker delivery was going to be ?slightly late? led to fuel buying panic at one local petrol station.

The mindless, stupid mithering began around 1pm at the Exachell garage near Wretching, in Disgust, when a member of staff was overheard noting that a fresh shipment of petrol ?might be around 15 to 20 minutes later than normal?. The news immediately triggered a petrol buying panic amongst customers.

?As soon as I heard that the main storage tank was down to only 900 litres I knew I had to act,? said garage regular Dave Spooool. ?Although I had already filled my car, and actually I only drive about 70 miles a week, I rushed back to the forecourt and filled the boot, glovebox and door pockets with extra fuel. Mind you, I?m so stupid I once forgot how to use my arms?.

Local cretin Angela Stave was another of those caught in the precautionary buying palaver. ?When I drove onto the forecourt someone told me what was going on and to be honest it scared me. What if there was a medical emergency and I couldn?t get my kiddies to hospital during that vital 20 minute window when my car only had 7/8ths of a tank full? It doesn?t bear thinking about. That?s why I filled my tank with both petrol and diesel, just to be on the safe side?.

Exachell staff say even those who weren?t intending to buy petrol were drawn into the mass panic, such as area fuckwit Irene Mizzz. ?I had spent the morning frigging myself over the memory of Princess Diana and was on my way to buy a second, uncreased copy of the Daily Express when I noticed a commotion at the petrol station. I immediately realised it was the kind of grunting, thoughtless mass hysteria I enjoy and decided to buy as much petrol as possible. Obviously I don?t actually own a car so I had to go and buy one of those first and by the time I got back the unthinking mob behaviour was over. I was so disappointed I decided to fire bomb the place so I could spend the afternoon moaning about Muslims?.

An Exachell sposkesmans was quick to reassure everyone that the tanker delay was a one off and that people should stop being so Christingly fucking thick.

I once stopped at a Hess gas station that was out of regular and premium. People were panicing and some even were filling up their Kias and Hyundais with $4.28 super gas (that was a lot at the moment.. even for super). I just crossed the street to the Shell station.. and got my $3.79 regular there.

And this happened on a weekend, no less. I can see if you need the gas for your commute, but panicking because gas stations are running low on a weekend? Jesus Christ, go on a walk or something. :?

Yeah, I know stupid stuff happens in Europe. But I'm talking about these oil panics, with huge waiting lines at gas stations. Seems to happen every few years.....

At least no fuel truck drivers are being carjacked and killed like they are in...oh wait, England.

Oh, and to the retard with a rep power of 4 who neg repped me anonymously
Ever notice all jackass comments are from Germans?
I'm not German you fucktard, I'm American, and thus fully qualified to make stupid comments about the states.

EDIT: To further increase the offensiveness of my original post... Only in the south of the United states do such things happen.... rednecks fuck yeah!

EDIT2: Spectre: I'm from south of the Mason-Dixon-Line myself, so I've seen the place for what it is, believe me. Anyways, the reason why this is the case, is because only the south gets hit by hurricanes, so there is a reason for this.

EDIT: Another neg rep... pity Atlanta is in the south....

Last edited:
In a way this area almost ran dry of fuel last week when the storm knocked out power. No electricity = no working gas pumps. Only a few stations in this city were open and the lines were crazy long because there was no way of knowing when the others would open again. Fortunately power in many areas was restored fairly quickly so we avoided a crisis.

Er...it's happened a couple times in the UK within the last 5 years alone, so this isn't a very fair comment to make.

In other news, I am quite enjoying the irony of fuel running out because of a false rumour about fuel running out, although I feel sorry for Nashville people. (What are people from Nashville called?).

Guess they'll sit down and have to write some more country music. *shudder*.

Nashvillians.

The mass hysteria has been sad to watch. Although it has provided some insight as to how knee-jerk environmentalism has caught on.

It really has, and I like how we're the only ones that did this. So the rest of the world gets to laugh at the idiots from 'that country music town'. Didn't anyone notice that no where else had the same problem we did?