Natural Disaster

Natural Disaster

• Total voters

leadfoot13

Car(s)
2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T
A little magnitude 4.0 earthquake just hit about 10 miles north of me in California and it got me thinking. How many of you have been affected by a natural disaster?

<resists making jokes about the ex>

Fortunately I've never been affected, either directly or indirectly (i.e. knowing people affected).

Back in Illinois we got the occasional tornado watch in Jackson County - if we were lucky it was a tornado warning in a few neighboring counties, but we never got anything.

I still remember the air raid drills we did in 1st grade alongside the tornado drills: hide in the doorway of the bathrooms, the concrete will protect us from Mother Nature and the Soviets. (Wouldn't that be a fantastic band name? You heard it here first.)

Poll deleted and remade with the ability to select multiple options. You'll need to revote.

Anyway, I've been in earthquakes many times before, but they never caused any serious damage. Do they count? :p

1 block away from tornado does that count?

Being in tornado alley I'm constantly concerned about a tornado when severe weather is in the area. Nothing has hit my house, but been close.

One that isn't listed, but also isn't very common is an ice storm. We had this past winter, broke a ton of branches that hit my house and garage tearing all sorts of things up. I still haven't got all of the limbs/twigs/branches cleaned up...

Well, seeing as I am in California also, I get quakes every once in a long while. We just recently had that quake in Chino, but I don't remember the magnitude.

Earthquakes ... I had my fill of pretty bad ones from the faults at the base of the Carpathian Mountains.
As for floods, I was once at my grandmother's in the countryside when large rain made a dam close to the village rupture. Mind you, my granny's house is right at the edge of the flood plane so the house was not really affected much ... just a bit of water on the ground, halfway to the knee. The house is pretty raised from the ground by blocks, so the rooms were not flooded, but the cellar was done, as well as half of her garden plantation, including a couple of prune trees and half of our considerably large vineyard.

Mind you, that village didn't get hit very hard, the town across the river wasn't so lucky ... 2 meter deep water there ... straight in the flood plane. Unfortunately, floods are still a very real and always occurring problem in some areas of Romania ... and the government never does anything about it ... half the flood dams in the country are damaged beyond repair and they will never be repaired.

I didn't live in my current miserable location when they got the huge flood 12 years ago (mind you, if I had, this neighbourhood didn't get flooded anyways) so the only one I can say is fire. Every summer we used to spend a few weeks in BC visiting my wrinkly old grandparents, and other extended family, and I was there for a couple big forest fires. I remember one time when we went into town to go shopping for something, all I could think of was the fire that was burning on the hill just outside of the town. The flames were huge! I was one ascared little boy.

Yes.

I have been in all of those and volcanic eruptions. One of the benefits of living all over the country.

Nothing bad here, just the occasional Level Three-Stop-the-Stupid-People-From-Driving-in-Deep-Snow-with-Their-Little-Civics-and-Inevitably-Getting-Stuck Snow Emergencies. Those are realllllllly annoying when you're out of alcohol and your vehicle is perfectly capable of driving safely in those conditions to go get more. :glare:

Luckily i live in one of the boring countries, only this country grounds to a complete halt when there is a inch of snowfall :lol: but that really isn't a "natural disaster", that is just stupid.

edit; there has been some flooding in the past (last 20 years), but not in my region.

Last edited:
There are floods, avalanches, landslides and, recently, even tornadoes(!!!!!) around my country, but luckily they have all missed my area. So yeah, I can say I live in a BORING area.

I like northern Germany - never been in any disaster in my almost 28 years of living...

Well, we get tornados quite regularly, last time we had any flooding was in the mid-90s, and we felt the Indiana earthquake earlier in the year, and we actually get many small earthquakes a year, but are unnoticeable. So, I've been through them, but haven't really been that affected by them.

Hungary is a very safe country in this respect.

Us living in the mid west are tough mother fuckers. We have to deal with floods, earthquakes, and tornado's. While my house has never been hit by a flood, I can take a short drive and show you houses underwater. Several tornado's have come very close to my house and caused damage around us. And a few months ago we had several quakes with the biggest being a 5.7.

My area also has a major problem with mine subsidence. This is something that has caused MAJOR damage to my home over the last year. :mad:

Apparently there's a fault line that runs through the Adelaide hills just behind the city, but it's never done anything significant. Our biggest threat are bushfires. There was a particularly bad one 25 years ago that killed 20 people and destroyed hundreds of homes and livestock. It will happen again because the hills are more populated than they were back then, it's dry, and there's plenty of vegetation. A lot of people live in death traps where they havent taken any preventative measures, so they'll be very lucky to escape with anything, if at all. Fortunately I dont live in a particularly dangerous zone, but the ramifications of such a fire will still be far reaching.