NBC Late Night woes

The rating always drop after the last guy leaves. Leno started out horribly after Carson left.

Truth.

Thats why everyone keeps repeating "Leno was given enough time to get to the Hugh Grant interview and the OJ Simpson trial, both of which pushed him over the edge and got him his ratings." I believe all that started 18 months after Leno started.

Just saw this on TV IGN

US, January 15, 2010 - Update: And it's done! The Wrap now reports that Conan O'Brien and NBC have come to terms on his departure and O'Brien is getting $30 million as part of his settlement - though other sources say it could be as high as $40 million. The deal still needs to be signed, and of course, everyone is waiting to hear how long O'Brien has to wait before he is free to do a new series.

Also still to be announced is O'Brien's final day on The Tonight Show, but most assume it will be next Friday, the 22nd.

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/106/1061582p1.html

and apparently Coco's last guest will be Barry Manilow singing this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXeIF6Qk7DM

What are they going to do with the studios? They spent so much time and money building Conan's new studio, plus they completely redid Leno's studio to make it not The Tonight Show.

I wonder if they'll just keep Conan's and make Leno do the show from there, it doesn't seem like Leno's studio could handle a full fledged Tonight Show the way it is now.

Well now it is official, NBC really fucked this one up. Must've taken marketing lessons from Rick Wagoner.

Last edited:
The deal still needs to be signed, and of course, everyone is waiting to hear how long O'Brien has to wait before he is free to do a new series.

According to this, he will be free to compete against Leno.

BREAKING NEWS! EXCLUSIVE! 11TH UPDATE, SUNDAY 8:50 AM: Below is Saturday Night Live's cold opening about the festering late night debacle about to end -- now possibly Tuesday after the MLK long weekend -- with NBC's $40 million "don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out" payment to Conan O'Brien that also frees him to compete against Jay Leno immediately.

Link

Some one should make this their avatar, if only for the lulz.
https://pic.armedcats.net/w/wa/watisdis/2010/01/17/fuck_nbc-300x300.jpg

Last edited:
While its nice that he can get back on the air ASAP it is still going to take time to sign a deal with another network, build a studio, and get things rolling. That is if Conan actually wants to get back on the air after all this.

Fuck Jay Leno.

That is all

Apparently NBC is keeping Conan's material, all intellectual property, so he either gave it up for a fresh start or could be retiring from talks shows.

Fuck Jay Leno.

That is all

Now, that's not nice. Jay isn't the bad guy here. It's not his fault the 10pm show got canned, people were just watching other shows at prime time (no talk show belongs on prime time with other hit TV shows on other networks).

NBC could have easily just told Leno to take a hike, but he was with them for a long time, and anyway, Conan isn't exactly getting screwed here; he's getting $40 million PLUS another contract with another studio (FOX probably).

Apparently NBC is keeping Conan's material, all intellectual property, so he either gave it up for a fresh start or could be retiring from talks shows.

How could they keep all of his material? Are they keeping just the bits he would do on the show or his actual comedy? Thats like saying your personality is mine you're not allowed to use it any more.

How could they keep all of his material? Are they keeping just the bits he would do on the show or his actual comedy? Thats like saying your personality is mine you're not allowed to use it any more.

Just the some of the sketches. Presumably somethings like in the Year 2000 when making the switch to the Tonight show had to be changed to the Year 3000 for copyright reasons just as if he moved to another network he could use in the year 4000 or in the year somethousand.

i'll definatly follow Coco to where he goes, just hope its not too long with him off the air. the whole thing has really made me hate NBC, to such a point that im thinking about not watching 30 Rock or The Office.

I think he is competent enough to generate new stuff.

i'll definatly follow Coco to where he goes, just hope its not too long with him off the air. the whole thing has really made me hate NBC, to such a point that im thinking about not watching 30 Rock or The Office.

Yes hurt the writers and producers of these shows, even though they had nothing to do with this. The execs will keep their job if such a boycott is successful the people making said shows would not.

Glad this stupid debacle is over.

Summary:

Conan, nice guy, not right for TTS and needs his own show

Jay, also nice guy, car guy:cool:, fits with TTS perfectly

Jeff Zucker, asshole, moron, douche bag, perfectly at home at NBC

I don't get what NBC will do in a few years when Jay really does want to leave. Conan had the demographic numbers that mattered. So in a few years Leno will only have people who eat through tubes in their nose.

Look I love Jays garage but I never watched him on Tonight it was the Daily Show then Dave then Conan. If Conan goes to Fox, basic cable, or Showtime he will have everyone born after 1970.