NBC passes on TG USA

Hey, I <3 the History Channel.

Top Gear isn't a well known brand in the US, which is why I was saying HBO would be a poor fit. I think it would be best to stick with basic cable.

Also, that 38 million subscriber statistic is the total for both HBO and Cinemax, not just HBO.

Anybody know Top Gear's viewership on BBC America?

Time for my 2?: I don't think that the show will work on the cable channels because their budgets are too tight and TGA would upset advertisers. Or it could turn into an evil twin of TGUK and just spotlight products from the car companies that paid them. I highly doubt that any cable exec. would pass on the revenue from the second option. That really only leaves HBO or BBCA as likely places fro TGA to air. I was surprised that NBC was going to pick up TGA in the first place, it seemed more like an act of desperation than a real commitment.

IMHO, I don't think that TGA is going to happen they all ready have a good show going in the UK and there is no need to create a spin-off unless the original one ends. It's not exactly difficult to follow the UK version, so they may all ready be reaching most of the target market of a TGA

Alright. Let me put in my $0.02 into this one since it's pretty well stagnated.

Spike would make a LOT of sense. it has the right target audience, and the demographic fits. It's something more premium of a regular cable network so they may have the budget to really push this. I think they did quite well with "Bull Run" but since i never heard a whisper of a second series coming to primetime (they had some signups and whatnot on their website, but that was it)maybe not. Otherwise, this would make a lot of sense.

USA. They have a better budget. they're not COMPLETE whores to sponsorship unlike fox/nbc, but i guess i could see it going south. they just need a disclaimer like they have on infomercials that read "The content of this programming does not reflect the views of this network or it's subsidaries. Viewer discretion is advised" then if any automotive company NOT awash with debt decides to buy in, they could at least in some way limit the commercial whoring of one particular brand of product, hopefully associating with incidentals like soft drinks, cel phones, boards of tourism for locations, etc.

I personally don't think Adam is still a good "fit" but Ive taken more notice on Tanner's driving and think he should stick around. maybe get someone like Drew Carrey in there? not really a car guy but can be funny in a situation (i guess this leaves me open to taking jabs at my comedic picks, but i digress). Just SOMEONE needs to pick this up because, as mentioned earlier, the US is such a massive car culture that it shouldn't be ignored.

Last edited:
Spike would make a LOT of sense. it has the right target audience, and the demographic fits. It's something more premium of a regular cable network so they may have the budget to really push this. I think they did quite well with "Bull Run" but since i never heard a whisper of a second series coming to primetime (they had some signups and whatnot on their website, but that was it)maybe not. Otherwise, this would make a lot of sense.

Bullrun season 2 airs on the Speed Channel starting Feb. 19th.

There is more to it than just numbers as well. The Aussie Top Gear airs on the SBS channel which a) not all Aussies can get (though its alot easier with digital tv) and b) is not popular channel for 15 to late 20s to tune into. If it were on one of the mainstream channel I would bet it would get significantly more numbers.

No, there really isn't more than just #'s. Hypothetical situations and excuses won't get proctor and gamble, pepsi, or kraft to spend money. Carson Daily would get more viewers if he were on every night at 8pm but so what? It would not be nearly enough to justify the timeslot.

^ Good grief... that's great news, it was going to be shit at best.

Hopefully the BBC learn and stop diluting the brand past the Australian and Russian franchises (unless I'm too late and more deals have been made).