NBC to make product-centered shows

thedguy

rides with Rebecca Black.. in the back
Car(s)
(OO=[][]=OO)
source

A newly formed NBC Universal production unit is teaming up with an advertising agency to create programs around sponsors' products, the company said.
NBC Universal Digital Studio will work with a division of Omnicom Group Inc. to create programs that help advertisers sell their products, the entertainment giant announced in a statement Thursday. The programming will be broadcast on NBC Universal's digital properties, such as Web sites.

"We are proactively working with our clients, the advertisers, to deliver compelling content to our audiences, wherever they are," NBC entertainment chief Ben Silverman said in the statement.

Digital Studio's first productions, which will premiere this summer, are a science-fiction series starring Rosario Dawson called "Gemini Division" and a quirky comedy about a college-aged zombie called "Woke Up Dead," said NBC Universal, a unit of General Electric Co.

Intel Corp., Cisco Systems Inc. and Microsoft Corp. are among the first brands involved with the development of "Gemini Division," the statement said.

The collaboration between NBC and Omnicom offers "a unique way of giving brands a seat at the table with writers and producers in developing episodic programming that ties directly to brand needs," Omnicom Media Group Digital chief executive Matt Spiegel said.

NBC Universal spokesman Joe Libonati did not immediately return a phone message seeking additional details early Friday.

No mention of "Gear" but that doesn't mean we won't be seeing episodes that seem to speak highly of cars we know are obviously junk. Or perhaps they'll just do something like the Aygo soccer bit TG did.

This isn't good for TV in general.

Are we going back to the 30s where all radio programs were sponsor owned/produced?

fack

What a surprise, another "The sky is falling" thread in "gear" based on nothing but hearsay, not even a genuine rumor.

Not trying to attack you dguy, but cant we please talk about something else? >.<

What a surprise, another "The sky is falling" thread in "gear" based on nothing but hearsay, not even a genuine rumor.

Not trying to attack you dguy, but cant we please talk about something else? >.<

Well you have to admit, the timing is perfect, and a car tv show is a perfect place (in a company after advertising revenues opinion) to do some "product placement".

Yes, there is that, but also fact that US economy is in a recession which is getting worse each day - consumer confidence is at a 26 year low. So this means Americans will not be engaging in big ticket transactions. As a result, automakers will get even more desperate to sell their cars, and of course they'll push NBC for more favorable reviews, or else threat pulling their advertising. Certainly, I see them participating in NBC PCS program, but "Gear" will be further compromised.

I mean guys, there is simply no reason to look for a silver lining - this is a doomed show from get-go, and it won't get proper ratings. I'm sure they'll go for NASCAR audience, but I doubt there will be interest even if they really dumb the show to appeal to them. Watch, NBC will air it immediately after their or Fox's NASCAR race broadcasts.

Clarkson's influence will be a benefit, but I seriously doubt it will make the show significantly less crappy. Top Gear is a finely polished, classy product, where it's just the right mix of proper car reviews and entertainment, it's got integrity. When was the last time a show in America, (don't even get me started on news networks) had integrity.

Last edited:
Top Gear is a finely polished, classy product

... Its an entertaining car program presented by 3 man-children based around explosions and fart jokes ... Its not masterpiece theater.

NBC are responding to audience demand - the "we want more infomercials, why not have them all the time" brigade, obviously. So the 5 Sales Executives that made up the "audience" in the survey have got what they want!

I hope they can make this work, it would be nice. I guess most of what is about on this one is mainly rumours at the moment but surely a sponsor driven show isn't the best approach? Please don't shoot me for this, I don't know enough about the proposed format etc so I am asking. It just seems if big money sponsors are the main backers then the resulting reviews stand a good chance of being compromised. I sincerely hope that does not happen as it destroys any integrity the show could display. Not every car is good, we all know that and people deserve an unbiased review as it's going to be their hard earned money paying for the car.

How else do you suggest they pay the cameramen, and the track rental fees, and Adam Carolla crashing BMW's into walls?

Please, i've heard so many problems, i'd like to hear your solution.

How else do you suggest they pay the cameramen, and the track rental fees, and Adam Carolla crashing BMW's into walls?

Please, i've heard so many problems, i'd like to hear your solution.

Easy, say "fuck it" and chose to have some fucking integrity. I've said before, if they put on a quality show that gets the 18-30 demographic, they will have NO trouble finding other sponsors for the show, and I'm sure there are plenty of others willing to fill the gap left by the manufacturers.

If Top Gear were to be sold to Channel 5 in the UK I'd wager they'd be glad to leave it alone and would probably get a lot more money for advertising during TG.

We can't also forget other factors besides the sponsorship pulling out, such as they may threaten to pull out of NBC entirely, or they may even sue for slander if the review was harsh enough... remember what country we are talking about here.

We can't also forget other factors besides the sponsorship pulling out, such as they may threaten to pull out of NBC entirely, or they may even sue for slander if the review was harsh enough... remember what country we are talking about here.

Thats been my point all along. If the show pisses them off they'll likely leave all together.