NBC to make US version of Top Gear called "Gear"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm done fighting, i just have one more thing to say:

I'm done fighting, i just have one more thing to say:

[youtube]do71O6X0n50[/youtube]

I am looking forward to seeing it, when and if it really goes on the air. But, the US TV networks don't have a very good track record of taking a successful British TV show and turning it into a commercial US TV program. Look at "Junkyard Wars", which lasted maybe 3 seasons in the US, but is in its ninth season in the UK as "Scrapheap Challenge." The biggest issue that the US show will have to deal with is its sponsors, something which "Top Gear" does not have to worry about. The average US viewer does not know what "Top Gear" is so they won't know what "Gear" is based on (I am certain that at some point in the near future, some fool will pop up to claim that "Top Gear is a cheap knockoff of Gear"). Also, could it be that much worse than all the "reality shows" which they are putting out. I even heard a suggestions for one called "Who Wants to Marry a US Citizen!"

I wonder how the producers of "Gear" plan to get around the writer's strike?

There is some silly stuff being said in this thread. Lets not be dumb here. Mistakes that NBC won't make with "Gear":
  • Only reviewing American cars
  • Only liking American cars
  • Only testing in the 1/4 mile
  • Only turning left

Mistakes that might happen though:
  • Poor choice in presenters
  • Bad chemistry between presenters
  • Letting advertisers get their grubby paws on it
  • Not letting them speak their minds

Regardless, here are a few things I hope to see and can't wait to:
  • American stars in a reasonably priced car
  • What the reasonably priced car will be
  • What the new Stig will be like
  • More friendly to aftermarket mods

If we can quit bashing a show that doesn't exist yet, maybe we can get back to the wild speculation about it.:p

After reading through this thread I'm not sure why there are people shouting that it's going to be a horrible failure or that they shouldn't even do it. It's not like any of us have anything to lose, we're not investing ourselves into the program (other than our time). It seems aas though some would rather they not even try to bring Top Gear to the US because this looks like their best approach and yet they're still being slammed. Top Gear is something that we all love, we all have that in common. So I don't understand why people are complaining about this, more Top Gear or "Gear" is a good thing. Only thing I could guess is that people are setting their expectations so low that they'll be pleasantly suprised when it comes out. It is not like they're pulling the original, hiring new hosts, and bringing it to the US. The original will be there, unaffected. And it's not going to be anything like the current crop of American car shows that are in existance right now, Car and Driver comes to mind. From what I've read, the people in charge of it understand the attraction to Top Gear. I'm not proclaiming it's going to be good or bad, but I'm willing to wait and pass judgment. So in that respect, I agree will MattD1zzl and everyone else with similar opinions. Everyone chill out, the original is still there and will be there.

I dont think i've ever been so angry/frustrated over a stupid internet forum in my entire life.

How can you all be so stupid as to already make up your mind about something you know absolutely nothing about?
Want to join me in a neg-repping fiasco :lol:? So tempted to neg-rep every negative thing said. These people have already "seen" the pilot and are forming a very good conclusion as to what the show is like. Classic :lmao:.

This isnt an american made show, its a top gear knockoff from the creators of top gear, broadcast on an american network.

Now you see our point. It's a knock off, that has to bow to advertising, and "made" for American tastes. You can't hold a normal casting call, then put 3 guys in a room and say "make the magic happen."

Count me in as "cautiously excited"

I'm close, but I'm "doubtfully excited". I hope it'll be good, but my expectations are lower than Fords profits.

Like i said before, i'm done fighting with you all. You just want it to fail and nothing i can say or do will change your minds.

hmm... it's gonna be produced by the BBC for NBC.... so like... it might be good.

it won't but you never know.

I bet it'll have flash on screen graphics that look really really shit and outdated like.... pretty much every american tv show these days.

I liked Coldplay before they became big, too.

</cliche>

Ok, I was ready to yell at MattD1xxl3 for getting too mad and yelling at everyone for being dumb jerks, but it seems like it's really headed that way. I was at first very doubtful that "Gear" would end up being any good, but after hearing that J.C. and others from BBC will be involved I'm even more excited and less worried than I was before.

I want to thank crashmaxx for the post he made, I think it was one of the best so far.
There is some silly stuff being said in this thread. Lets not be dumb here. Mistakes that NBC won't make with "Gear":
  • Only reviewing American cars
  • Only liking American cars
  • Only testing in the 1/4 mile
  • Only turning left

Mistakes that might happen though:
  • Poor choice in presenters
  • Bad chemistry between presenters
  • Letting advertisers get their grubby paws on it
  • Not letting them speak their minds

Regardless, here are a few things I hope to see and can't wait to:
  • American stars in a reasonably priced car
  • What the reasonably priced car will be
  • What the new Stig will be like
  • More friendly to aftermarket mods

If we can quit bashing a show that doesn't exist yet, maybe we can get back to the wild speculation about it.:p

I also want to say that I think it is extremely important that they choose the hosts properly, even setting chemistry aside. They should be journalists, at least one of them with a professional automotive background. There should absolutely be NO celebrities(I know I said earlier that Chris Titus might be good, but I'm doubting that now too). They need to have people that don't have an image to maintain.

That all said, these are just my opinions on what would work best, but I (now) have confidence that the absurdly named "Gear" will be good, even if it doesn't live up to the original.

did anyone think about christopher titus for a host?

That....Hmmmm. That could actually work. Maybe Titus (a bit like Hammond), Leno (A Clarkson clone who actually knows what he's talking about)...Now we need a May.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I have mixed emotions about this. I am looking forward to it, but at the same time I am not (strange, huh?).

For starters, I don't think it will be as good as "Top Gear." We won't have Clarkson, May, and Hammond hosting the show, which is a bummer, because THEY are the ones who make Top Gear the great show that it is! That's what I'm worried about. I'm afraid that the hosts of this show will not provide the same laughts the Top Gear trio provide. I'm worried that this show might put me to sleep.

Another thing I'm worried about are the cars the show will be reviewing. It's an American show, so most likely it will feature American cars. Amereica can make great things (the Boeing 747, the Saturn 5, the SR-71 Blackbird, the ES44AC etc.), but let's face it, when it comes to cars, America is hopeless. I know some people here will disagree with me, but that's the truth.
That's what I'm worried about, that this show will make American cars look fantastic, when in reality they are crap. Reminds me of the Chevy Cobalt. When it first came out people were saying good things about it. How it was a "giant leap forward from the Cavalier."
...and it wasn't! It had all the problems the Cavalier had, plus a few of its own!

I am curious to know what car they will use for the "Star in a reasonably priced car" (or whatever they are planning to call it) segment (Why do I think it is going to be a Chevy Cobalt?), and what celebrities are going to appear on the show.

Like I said, I am looking forward to the show, but I'm also concerned. I don't think it will be as good as Top Gear, but we'll just have to wait and see.

The Cobalt IS a giant leap over the Cavalier, they are not even close in refinement, ride and handling, that's not saying much of course because the Cavalier was such a poor car. But that's something for a different thread entirely.

Amereica can make great things (the Boeing 747, the Saturn 5, the SR-71 Blackbird, the ES44AC etc.), but let's face it, when it comes to cars, America is hopeless. I know some people here will disagree with me, but that's the truth.

:lol: And cars from the UK are better? :lol:

I'm not trying to troll, england is a lovely place with more then enough redeeming features, but the nation that spawned layland has no right to lecture anyone on car quality.

+1

The show needs to be about 3 blokes and cars.

Nonetheless, I'm sure it will be rubbish... but ill still watch it.

Christopher Titus is an unfunny hick, just like Tim Allen, Chip Foose etc. But those are the kind of people they'll probably get, in order to appeal to middle-American Chevy driving white trash.

middle-American Chevy driving white trash.

:( I like camaros, why does that make me white trash?

I like, vote democrat and everything! :(

Last edited:
Actually, I've just realized:

Jay Leno is retiring some time this year. Jay Leno, presenter?
That would secure the show's slot in the non-suck bin.

Who else do you folks reckon?
If someone else seriously suggests Ryan Seacrest, you deserve everything coming to you.

Chris Titus

Chris Titus

Christopher Titus is an unfunny hick, just like Tim Allen, Chip Foose etc. But those are the kind of people they'll probably get, in order to appeal to middle-American Chevy driving white trash.

I disagree.

I think he would be like the equivalent of Hammond (except for the height): Titus is loud, brash, bubbly and hyperactive. And anyway, Richard Hammond isnt exactly a comedian either but still makes us chuckle.

Actually, I've just realized:

Jay Leno is retiring some time this year. Jay Leno, presenter?
That would secure the show's slot in the non-suck bin.

Who else do you folks reckon?
If someone else seriously suggests Ryan Seacrest, you deserve everything coming to you.

I vote Jay Leno, David Spade (who is a car guy) and Christopher Titus. I could sub Steve Mangante (formerly of Hot Rod Magazine) for Titus. Carol Shelby or Richard Petty as the Stig. William Shatner involved somehow? :p

I still think the show is going to suck. What's going to make or break the show to begin with is the presenters. I feel good about Spade though, he's never been afraid to give his opinion (like Clarkson) on anything and I think with other presenters there it could keep him from getting too goofy... like he sometimes does.

I wish them the best, as long as it doesn't turn into the fast and the furious over there it'll be tolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.