NBC to make US version of Top Gear called "Gear"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do disagree with you. Patriotism isn't something "classy and sophisitcated". For example Clarkson - he isn't really serious with his "die-hard-patriotism": Everytime he rants about another country or praises the glory of Britain he does it with a smile. But patriotism leads almost everytime to ignorance - both things where the average american is quite good at. So please quit the "we are the best, whatever" and join our circle of friends :rolleyes: (don't take this too serious, please...)

The "classy and sophisticated" line was sarcasm, I'm sorry if you didn't get that.

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious."
Oscar Wilde

http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/16/25716.php said:
The show will be shot at a secret location in Los Angeles that has a racetrack and a hanger.
http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idCAN1545067120080115 said:
The pilot will be filmed at a secret location around Los Angeles equipped with a race track and hangar

El Toro sounds quite acceptable. Lexus hosted their "Taste of Lexus" at the same location 2 years ago. They could design a really interesting track around that and still have the space (the runways) for their filming.

http://img256.imageshack.**/img256/83/unbenannt1zb5.jpg

Willow Springs hasn't got huge runways or a big parking lot or whatever. Anyway, they could use the track for their comparisons (laptimes) and still film their main tests somewhere else.
They managed to get some really great pictures from that track for their DVD. It looks better than the other tracks - by a margin.

http://img256.imageshack.**/img256/4444/unbenannt2nq1.jpg

California Speedway is my favourite. The fast oval and the tight corners - great package. But it doesn't look like the filmcrew guys would have too much time for their filming there, eh? Quite busy.

http://img256.imageshack.**/img256/4013/unbenannt3fn6.jpg

Buttonwillow is not really "near" Los Angeles, isn't it? But well, looks like a good competition.

http://img256.imageshack.**/img256/6446/unbenanntfa2.jpg

Last edited:
"Gear" may be what we need.

"Gear" may be what we need.

Top Gear will forever be a benchmark for car shows, how ever there will need to be a replacement at one point. I hate to say it but, there will no-longer be TG one day, it may happen because one of the presenters retires or something else but this may be one way of getting our fix when that happens. It could also be good for times like these when there are no new episodes.

If they make something half-decent thats all that will matter; I can invision a good pro-american show with jokes about Top Gear and challenges that may even include Clarkson, May, and Hamster fighting against them. The other way could be as good or better with honest opinions about the cars here, and maybe a drive-by from the original presenters.

If they get atleast a few half-decent presenters that are not from these crappy magizines here, a retard like Gore, or a huge name actor, all will be good. I would suggest some one that isn't well known or not all.

I know one thing for sure: I will always watch Top Gear even if "Gear" is better
(I don't think that would be possible but there is always that .01% chance they could extremely surpass expectations -Most doubtful.)

This show is not going to work without British sensibilities driving the comedy. They will have to work overtime on getting genuine American celebrity/comedians who have personality and the ability to host a show like this. Maybe Jay Leno when he retires? He's already having a counter-point with Clarkson in the times.

Here's something odd: when Clarkson is patriotic on TG it's funny. When an American is patriotic, it's like they're slapping everyone who isn't one in the face...and it's not so funny. Why is that?

Because Jeremy, not matter how arrogant he can be, also possesses self-deprecating sarcasm in bucketloads (and thus makes him funny). Unlike Simon Cowell for example, who just comes off as a wanker.

i hope to god you guys get some one funny to rip on us limeys... i cant wait!

i realise the need for coporate sponorship n stuff with big tv programs like this but i hope car makers dont get too involved if you get me. you guys want a show not a product placement or advertisement

Last edited:
http://img256.imageshack.**/img256/4013/unbenannt3fn6.jpg

California Speedway is my favourite. The fast oval and the tight corners - great package. But it doesn't look like the filmcrew guys would have too much time for their filming there, eh? Quite busy.

from the looks of it, this was either taken during or after the Japanese invasion of SuperGT and Formula D back in 2006. if you look at the Bat Symbol looking thing in the infield, you can see what i'm talking about.

also, check out the AutoX areas on the right and top of the picture.

Last edited:
El Toro sounds quite acceptable. Lexus hosted their "Taste of Lexus" at the same location 2 years ago. They could design a really interesting track around that and still have the space (the runways) for their filming.

Most of the car manufacturers do "ride and drive" events at El Toro. GM does it every year. It's about the only thing the old base gets used for.

We went to California speedway in summer of 2006 to compete with our FSAE car with a bunch of other universities. Our pit was in the space just above the red and white roofed paddocks. Autocross competition was held on the infield track.

//Back to thread subject :)

Hey - Button Willow is really really cool track IMHO. Who knew you chaps could do bendy tracks! I hope it's there - adds a bit of real challenge to the Power lap.

I'd guess it'd be El Toro because of the location and the "hangar" comment.

That said, right around Willow Springs there's large industrial buildings where a couple of race teams are setup. And there's plenty of cheap land there to build.

Buttonwillow is about the same (space, etc).

but the truth is that both Buttonwillow and Willow Springs are heavily, heavily booked already. I've heard that Buttonwillow specifically is already committed to 315 days of rental for 2008.

That makes it tough to work around for filming on track as well as in "studio" with background noise.

That said, I'd love if they used Buttonwillow. Willow Springs would be a bit too biased to high power cars -- it's a very, very, VERY fast track.

here's a lap at Buttonwillow I ran in December. Configuration 25 Clockwise (if you go to http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/ and look at track maps)

[youtube]F4rl7jq1LRo[/youtube]

Steve

How to make "Gear" stay on the air in the US:

* NBC bosses need to see lots of ad-money rolling in. The channel isn't funded by a licence-fee like the BBC, they need to make money. Money comes from ads and product placement.

* Getting high-dollar ads require lots of viewers.

* Getting lots of viewers requires the show to appeal to the average American.

* Making the show appeal to the average American requires it to A) Show and praise a healthy amount of american cars. B) Feature big american trucks, often.

your afraid that they are going to go for the "suthern" market, I'm afraid they might go for the ricer market. Frankly I'm tired of being told that if i want to make my car cool i have to bolt on a bunch of ugly rims, dumb parts, or blinking lights.

Edit:
sorry, comments removed, i was looking at the wrong "gear"

Last edited:
For every "The Office" americanized version that succeeds, there's something like "Coupling".

UGH.

Do I think it will suck. Absolutely. I'll watch it but I won't have my hopes up. Of course, I am still miffed at the new 'imagining' of Star Trek and how they took everything that is canon and happened on screen and threw it out a window.

One thing NBC can't do though, and there is no wiggle room here, is accept US car companies advertising airtime on the show. There can't be car adverts during the show. End of story.

The level of idiocy in this thread is staggering.

I request that any post made by a member with fewer than 100 posts be deleted.

Also, I was going to say that eurotrash's posts made me ashamed to share a country with him, but then I realized that he lives in Quebec and therefore isn't really from Canada anyway.

Dude, just because I haven't posted a lot doesn't mean I'm a casual viewer, nor that my opinion is less important than yours.

Honestly? Your crack about Quebec is as ignorant as what you're complaining about. You're from Calgary, should I start making comments that you fuck cattle or are a rodeo clown? :rolleyes:

You're from Calgary, should I start making comments that you fuck cattle or are a rodeo clown? :rolleyes:

what's wrong with big girl lovin' and being a rodeo clown?:lol:

just to let you know, being from Texas myself, a job as a rodeo clown isn't looked down upon. they put their lives on the line to save a cowboy's life from a 1 ton bull. i'd REALLY like to see you get behind the fence and do that same job.

oh, and another thing......

ITS CALLED AN EDIT BUTTON!

what's wrong with big girl lovin' and being a rodeo clown?:lol:

just to let you know, being from Texas myself, a job as a rodeo clown isn't looked down upon. they put their lives on the line to save a cowboy's life from a 1 ton bull. i'd REALLY like to see you get behind the fence and do that same job.

oh, and another thing......

ITS CALLED AN EDIT BUTTON!

What's wrong with it?

Some tool with an IQ south of 60 gets dressup like a big ol' fat asshole and willingly prances around in front of a 1 ton bull. I think I could do that... but I'd have to move to Texas not to be laughed at, yall. You say what's wrong with that?

Last edited:
Because Jeremy, not matter how arrogant he can be, also possesses self-deprecating sarcasm in bucketloads (and thus makes him funny). Unlike Simon Cowell for example, who just comes off as a wanker.

Very true. I think that's all part of the "ambitious but rubbish" attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.