Need a critique

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ - D21 Hardbody

I wanted to design a shirt for the track that looked like it could have been made when the track opened 51 years ago. I had seen a style from another company I emulated, but the subject is different.

The building is the original tower, it will be coming down this winter. I wanted to immortalize it in a shirt as it was originally built.

It will be a two color print (light gray and kind of a muted orange on a dark gray shirt).

I'm still figuring out all the little nuances to Illustrator, so if you see any errors in that respect let me know.

Looks good, I suggest losing or blurring the front spokes as the emount of detail there is disproportionate to the amount of detail in the rest of the image. Also the font on the sign on the tower looks too modern and awkward.

I like it though :)

Looks good, i would suggest

Stroke the tower in shirt colour, to create a negative stroke, adds a bit of solidity
Better smoke effect if you can
Youre right about the rear wheel, needs some more detail like the front to add depth

Finally, needs a bit of distressing to look vintage imo, something like this:

You'd need to do that sort of finishing with halftones in photoshop, i can link you to some great freebie distress textures to get that vintage feel

I'll offer one TINY change of my own. Change "MO" to "Mo." as it adds to the vintage feel.

Yes on changing the tower sign font. Google "sign painter font". Maybe "Mo-Kan" in a script and "DRAGWAY" in a block.

Yes on stroking the tower.

Final suggestion. If you want to go all out on the distressed look, I suggest looking into a combed cotton t-shirt. It'll have a softer (and therefore worn) look to it. Might cost more though.

THGL, just saw your input. I'll play with that in the next round.

Here's a few changes. I made the rear wheel a bit more detailed and added some striations to the front of the rear tire to make it seem more like it's in motion. Added some quicky grunge to the first one as well.

No, I do not think so - looks great, damn fine job - congratulations.

I only mentioned it so that you were aware just incase some moans about it to you.

Tell 'em it was delibrate.

The four squiggly lines in the tire smoke, change the ends to rounded instead of squared off.

I?m not sure why you?d wanna have it written twice on there ... once as a sign on the tower and once "big" ... feels repetative ...

And I liked it better when the lower tower construction was in the orange ...

The distressed-look texture isn't really working for me. Otherwise, great job!