Need a desk chair!

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Ive been using the same desk chair since I was 12 or so. There’s nothing exactly wrong except the padding is very flat. I do game but I’m not super into it where it’s a daily thing. I don’t know what’s good, would prefer to have some lumbar support. I don’t really care how it looks but super gamer bro where they try and imitate a racing seat feels over the top.

I have no idea what’s a good price but I wouldn’t want to spend more than 150 american rubles. Some of you have met me IRL and know that I’m not exactly small in the horizontal sense. :)

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
I've got an $80 IKEA chair that I use at my desk at the track. It's a good chair and I've used it for a couple years now. We've got two more, both at the trophy shop, that have been in use longer. We did have a caster failure on one of those, but $15 in new casters and it fixed (plus now we have four spares for the other chairs).

GRtak

Forum Addict
My advice is to go to a store(Staples, Office Depot, etc.) and try out several chairss and see how you like them.

Most of the "gaming" chairs are made by one company, so if that is what you want, shop for price.

I bought a Vertagear chair and while it is fine, it is not perfect. I am considering buying a chair from Herman Miller to replace it as my main chair. I will be trying it out first.

I also have back problems, so I need something that is better able to keep me comfortable.

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Both DerStig and I have office chairs made from a car seat placed on a welded steel base - not unlike the former Top Gear set furniture. I find these last longer and offer better/more configurable support than pretty much any office chair. I think both of our seats came in under the $150 mark, too. His is made from a W201 190E seat, mine is an X308 seat. Might want to look into that option.

Last edited:

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
https://www.staples.com/staples-dexley-mesh-task-chair-black-56946/product_24398921

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Tarance-Black-Mesh-Task-Chair/product_2719543

I sold office furniture for about 20 years - these seem to have a free floating tilt mechanism which you can adjust for the right about of support depending on your weight but also lock into place should you wish. This feature allows for micro movement and stops your back muscles from locking up due to being in one fixed position for a long time. Lumbar support and headrest too. I'd get down to your nearest Staples and try them out but in your budget that's what I would suggest.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pid
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3, 90 Discovery 1, 05 Smart Roadster
Don't do what I did and assume that spending too much on a Maxnomic gaming/racing chair will mean it lasts forever. It won't. The top layer of the pleather started peeling off at an alarming rate after 4 years, initially from the side-bolsters, then the base and now from the back too. I admit that I'm a massive fidget-arse but it should last longer than this.

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
Looks good but I would go for the version with armrests, which for best ergonomics should be height adjustable.

Adunaphel

KLAUWD
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
'18 Clio; '13 Cube Hyde
I detest armrests. They're always in the way. I know that they're supposed to be more ergonomical, but in my experience they hurt my elbows, get in the way when I try to pull my chair closer to my desk, and in many, many cases cannot be adjusted wide enough for my posture. So I always buy my desk chairs without these infernal implements installed.

GRtak

Forum Addict
One of the problems I have with the Vertagear chair I have is the armrests lowest setting is to high. So either I have arms like a gorilla, or they are to tall to begin with. This is not the only chair I have this problem.

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
Car(s)
3 of them
I detest armrests. They're always in the way. I know that they're supposed to be more ergonomical, but in my experience they hurt my elbows, get in the way when I try to pull my chair closer to my desk, and in many, many cases cannot be adjusted wide enough for my posture. So I always buy my desk chairs without these infernal implements installed.
1574790625958.jpeg

I wish I felt that strongly of the armrests of mine, which are annoying only because they eat the headphone cables of my M50s

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
I think we need a Dutch Rants thread. :D

I will check out the staples and ikea offerings since I have those stores near me. If none of those check out, I will take a gamble and try something from the ‘net.

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
I would advise against the latter. You should find something you like at IKEA or Staples but I would urge against buying a chair without trying it first.

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Pay special attention to the house brand office chairs at Staples when you go look at them - a lot of them have some suspicious methods of attaching the seat to the hydraulic lift strut underneath. Undersized screws attaching the flange to the seat base, undersized flange... Often what happens is after a year or so the seat breaks off the strut and you get to test gravity. Not all of them are that way, but enough that a couple of my clients have banned Staples branded seats from their premises.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
I have IKEA’s Markus, which in pictures looks a lot like the Järvfjället @Adunaphel posted.

Markus doesn’t have lumbar support and the cushions are pleather rather than fabric. I’d rather have fabric, but it’s not a big deal. I like it.

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
I have IKEA’s Markus, which in pictures looks a lot like the Järvfjället @Adunaphel posted.

Markus doesn’t have lumbar support and the cushions are pleather rather than fabric. I’d rather have fabric, but it’s not a big deal. I like it.
That’s the chair I have, I find the butt cushion to be a bit lacking