Need a free program to limit upload speed

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Sienna, crippled people like vans....
Can any recommend a good & free program so that I can limit my overall upload speed for a single computer on my network? The reason I need to do this: I don't have a whole lot of upload bandwidth (374kbs) and I have a few PCs on my network. When one PC is uploading a large file via HTTP (such as a video), it kills the upload speed on the other PCs until the file is done, and this can take awhile for big files. So if I could limit the upload speed, then it would keep things more balanced.

Thanks in advance :)

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Yeah, you can get routers that will prioritize packet types (i.e. allow BT to go at full speed, but if a HTTP request is made, slows down everything else for Internet browsing). You can even give one IP priority over all the others.

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Sienna, crippled people like vans....
Thanks for the replies guys. I bet my router can do it, I just have never messed with it.

EDIT: Went with a program called NetLimter. Works great, although not free......The one epp_b posted worked fine at first, but it even limits your bandwidth when you exit the program, and there didn't seem to be a way around that. And for some reason, the highest speed it would allow you to download was around 3500kbs, which is too slow. I thought that was kind of weird.

Last edited: