Need a free program to limit upload speed

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Sienna, crippled people like vans....
Can any recommend a good & free program so that I can limit my overall upload speed for a single computer on my network? The reason I need to do this: I don't have a whole lot of upload bandwidth (374kbs) and I have a few PCs on my network. When one PC is uploading a large file via HTTP (such as a video), it kills the upload speed on the other PCs until the file is done, and this can take awhile for big files. So if I could limit the upload speed, then it would keep things more balanced.

Thanks in advance :)

Yeah, you can get routers that will prioritize packet types (i.e. allow BT to go at full speed, but if a HTTP request is made, slows down everything else for Internet browsing). You can even give one IP priority over all the others.

Thanks for the replies guys. I bet my router can do it, I just have never messed with it.

EDIT: Went with a program called NetLimter. Works great, although not free......The one epp_b posted worked fine at first, but it even limits your bandwidth when you exit the program, and there didn't seem to be a way around that. And for some reason, the highest speed it would allow you to download was around 3500kbs, which is too slow. I thought that was kind of weird.

Last edited: