• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Need a new video camera

Carsightings said:
it depends on what i get. i would like to get something for around 750$ + -

Look at the Panasonic PV-GS250; I'am sure you could find one for a bit over $750

edit: dygear - that camera is crap

Panasonics are good cameras. My wife got a $450 one for Christmas and she's thrilled with it. Of course everything Cannon makes is great as well.

Try to get one with a lot of optical zoom, good image stabalization, USB support, good low light performance, comfortable controls, etc.

Search for reviews at Google, then find a model you like and check for prices on pricegrabber.com

matt_shaw said:
dvd, HD and Hi8 are lame

miniDV is the only way to go. ...
I stand by that. :)

And I would like to recommend Sony. :thumbsup:
The only brand worth flying in skydiving:
  • Quality is oustanding.
  • Cameras are tough. Shocks, moisture, high winds, name it !
  • Carl Zeiss lens.
  • Encoding format is easier to edit with than DVD cameras.
Get a Sony MiniDV camera, you won't regret it.

Roman said:
matt_shaw said:
dvd, HD and Hi8 are lame

miniDV is the only way to go. ...
I stand by that. :)

And I would like to recommend Sony. :thumbsup:
The only brand worth flying in skydiving:
  • Quality is oustanding.
  • Cameras are tough. Shocks, moisture, high winds, name it !
  • Carl Zeiss lens.
  • Encoding format is easier to edit with than DVD cameras.
Get a Sony MiniDV camera, you won't regret it.

ok thanks but what is mini dv? :oops:

Little mini digital tapes:

fujitape.jpg

They're high quality and you can keep using them over and over.

Carsightings said:
how do i get the video on to the pc and what format is it in?

The Panasonic I bought my wife has USB 2.0 support, so you can transfer the video onto the PC in .avi format. However, most video cameras only have firewire, so your computer would need to have a firewire port.

This is what I got for her, although it can be had for a cheaper price on pricegrabber.com:
http://beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PNPVGS35

avanti said:
I see that mini dv is considered as the only real option, what are the advantages over the other formats?

Well, working at my school's Media Services Department, I have to deal with all types of cameras.

Advantages:

Mini-DV: Small, light, can fit in your pocket. Every Mini-DV camera I have seen has USB/Firewire support, plus a memory card/stick slot.
8mm/Hi-8/Digial 8: Has been around a lot longer and is slightly more prolific.
VHS: You can play it back on your VCR once you're done recording.

Disadvantages:

Mini-DV: Small. The tapes are also annoyingly small. The software for the Sony one that I used was confusing and difficult to work with.
Hi-8: Bigger than the Mini-DV, not all Hi-8s have USB/Firewire support.
VHS: Huge, probably little to no USB/Firewire support if they still make VHS cameras for home consumer use...

YF19pilot said:
Advantages:

Mini-DV: Small, light, can fit in your pocket. Every Mini-DV camera I have seen has USB/Firewire support, plus a memory card/stick slot.

That isn't true. A lot of the cameras have USB, but you can only transfer the still images from your memory card, not the video from the Mini-DV. Usually you can only put images on the memory card, no video allowed.

YF19pilot said:
Disadvantages:

Mini-DV: Small. The tapes are also annoyingly small. The software for the Sony one that I used was confusing and difficult to work with.

Why are they "annoyingly" small?

and don't forget the cameras that record staright to DVD