Need an awesome 80's logo

maxtortheone

Chicken Fiddler
Car(s)
2006 Renault Clio 1.4 16V
So, I've pretty much finished the design on my arcade cabinet and I want to install a light up logo in the front upper part of it. Thing is I need some help with some designs and ideas.

Here's the cabinet

JQbevqn.png

The slot is 470x130mm.

Thinking of something like maxtortheone's Arcade.
Any help would be appreciated.

edit: First try

jJIMeXF.png

Last edited:
One question:

The logo need to have your name on it?

Well,you could put a logo of existent arcade machines like the ones below:

capcom-arcade-cabinet-logo.jpg

ARCADE-LOGO.jpg

I have an idea,you can pick up a vector logo and modify it with your name on photoshop,its pretty easy to do.
Tip: Try to find vectors with .PSD file available to download.

Could be cool if it was one of those LED-lit etched acrylic signs. Could color-change, and you could do two right in front of each other to use two colors.

I'm jelly, man. Always wanted to do something like that!

Couple suggestions:
Make sure the height and tilt of the screen are just-right. If it's off by just a little, it could be uncomfortable to use. Ideally, I'd find an arcade and take some measurements for ones that you like.

Not sure what types of games you're planning to play, but would the Street Fighter 4 joystick-type pad have been something you could use, or maybe take apart and integrate?

Note: Not only does the screen "bezel" need to be tilted back, but doesn't the bottom panel need to be tilted to tilt the screen back?

Also, structurally, because all of the weight is at the top, you'll probably want to add at least one left-to-right and front-to-back structural wood bar about halfway up the body of the cabinet, or maybe a fixed "shelf". a weighted or double-thick panel on the bottom might be a good idea. Don't want it to be top-heavy, when your controls are cantilevered out from the front. If you're using the regular controllers on wires, then that is just a shelf to hold them when they are not being used, no big deal then...but I might anyways.

Casters, to make it mobile? It's going to be quite heavy.
http://www.richelieu.com/en/industrial-caster-20127200?fr=rec (make sure anything you choose would be heavy-duty enough.)

What are you going to build it out of/cover it with? Remember that pre-laminated MDF will be hard to cut without chipping. Not impossible, but hard.

How about a foot rail or a built in foot rest/panel with a rubber stair-tread?

Any way to build in a light gun and side holster? ;)

If what you are putting into it will get warm, you could add active cooling (fans), or passive airflow. Either way, add an air intake slot at the bottom of the back panel of the compartment to draw in cool air, and an equal-sized air vent at the top of the back panel (avoid the top, as if it's taller than you, how often are you really going to dust it?

How about a built-in cup holder?[/yep, I'm an American.]

Last edited:
It will be on casters with a lockable one. Yeah, gonna do some tilting measurements tomorrow. Also, the monitor shelf will be on supports, something like this

0109.sil.png

Also the monitor tilts on its support so the "table" being straight isn't an issue.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
If it's on carpet, I wouldn't bother with locking casters (unless your floor is crazy bad). Then, you could hide them with a "skirt" so it wouldn't look like their were casters.

I edited my previous post, but I see you've replied already, so I'll ask again. :) What are you making it out of? Not sure what your experiences are, but you might already know this...pre-laminated MDF is hard to cut without chipping. Hard, but not impossible. you MIGHT want to check to see if you can find a local laminate fabricator to make your side panels, which they can CNC and edge-trim. Just a thought. If you were in California, I could send you a couple contacts, but I've got nothing in Romania. :)

Also note: Particle board isn't as good as "real" MDF. Many companies use the terms interchangeably, though, so that doesn't make it any easier.

Damn, I'm very jealous. Forgive me if I live vicariously though you and your project. ha!

Also, it would seem like a waste to have a nice big cabinet like than in the bottom without utilizing it for storage, somehow, with a door on the front. One of those push-to-spring-out type latches, so it wouldn't look like a cabinet door.

Last edited:
MDF it is. Can't find anything else with the black or dark wood finish I want. Wood floors here so I'll need to lock it.

make sure they are rubberized wheels that are still heavy-duty enough for their weight capacity.

Please keep us updated on the progress. :)