Need For Speed: Carbon

I have completed ~80% and I must say I like it so far. I like the Tier system, the modding part is the best in the series so far, and the drift is back :thumbup:. Of course it's not a great game, but it's definitely above average. I only wish the weight of the cars was more realistic, and that the AI didn't cheat with three hands whenever they need an extra boost of speed.

To the people that complain about understeer: Do you use a wheel or the keyboard? My mates bought me a wheel for my birthday and I found that, at least in Most Wanted, the cars turned much much more. In fact, you could do a 360 without much effort. I haven't tried Carbon with the wheel (I don't really have space to put it and I'm too lazy to unpack it again and set it up on my desk), but I have the feeling that the handling of the cars would improve a lot. In fact, I plan to play the game a second time with the wheel just to compare.

Im still surprised that EA cant do car dynamics.. I know its a Arcade game but when they give you the choice to spec your car for Overstear at least make it possible to overstear!! My Z06 with 100% overstear stuff understears like a Fiat punto on NOS <_<

Thats the reason this game is not to be found on my HDD anymore..

I won a copy for it on PS2 last night. :bunny:

I haven't gotten a chance to play it so much, but from what I've seen it's like Most Wanted. Except not.

How come EA has added new bits in and removed old bits from the last 4 NFS games? The first Underground was good, it had a city at night, drifting, but no cops. The 2nd was just new cars and shit. Most Wanted came along and was set in a city that was daylight, which was neat at first but just got annoying, and they took the drifting out. Now Carbon comes along, goes back to the night city, puts drifting back in and introduces some Initial D mountain action, but does away with the cops, which I :love: in MW (apparently there's some in singleplayer but I haven't touched that yet). What gives?

Just a question, can you buy new cars in career mode? I'm at 72% completion, and the DB9 is not fast enough anymore. How can I buy Tier 3 cars? Thanks.

I bought a CGT for the final boss (the Aston was fast enough for all the other races) and stuck NOS on it. Just visit the car dealerships to buy cars.

Is it in the menus or do I have to physically drive to the dealership in free roam mode? Thanks.

It's out in the world. Pull up your world map and click on one of the garages (not the houses).

Thanks for the tip. I just bought a Supra, it does touge better than the DB9. I'm so close to beating that Lambo. Any tips on that particular run?

I won a copy for it on PS2 last night. :bunny:

I haven't gotten a chance to play it so much, but from what I've seen it's like Most Wanted. Except not.

How come EA has added new bits in and removed old bits from the last 4 NFS games? The first Underground was good, it had a city at night, drifting, but no cops. The 2nd was just new cars and shit. Most Wanted came along and was set in a city that was daylight, which was neat at first but just got annoying, and they took the drifting out. Now Carbon comes along, goes back to the night city, puts drifting back in and introduces some Initial D mountain action, but does away with the cops, which I :love: in MW (apparently there's some in singleplayer but I haven't touched that yet). What gives?

Carbon has cops in it, they just don't take up such a large part of the gameplay as in MW

I'm at the final boss race, my fully modded Ford GT is not fast enough. What's the best car to use to race him? Thanks.

I used a Supra, but it was hard to beat the other 3 before him, so I think it's also a bad choice.
I would guess Carrera GT or Murci?lago LP640 are better alternatives.

Ok, I need to make some money and buy the SLR then.

In the 12 hours I have owned this game I keep asking myself, "Why didn't I buy COD:3"?

Don't use the Alfa for drifts, its terrible, use the Lotus, it sticks well and you can fling it around better than the Alfa or RX8.

Question: If you win a race and unlock a performance mod and install it on Car X, then buy Car Y how do you get the performance mods on Y? Do I need to re-do the races to get em for Y?if so then that sucks ass big time.

If you unlock a mod for car x, you can also buy it for car y. You don't need to re-race to unlock it again.

So easy to drive I could not be bothered more than 30 minutes. I thought the drift in canyons would be nice, and feel a bit like Initial D but it's complete crap: road is thrice too large, required speed is also twice too fast. In addition, the car counter-steers by itself :?

They still didn't correct the bug with dual-core CPUs (you need to Ctrl+Alt+Del in game then select affinity to one of the CPUs to make it playable) and there is still no replay

I'm missing so much NFS: Porsche 2000, pretty well balanced between arcade and simulation

Last edited:
Porsche Unleashed (or 2000) is the best NFS ever to get out. Period.

Porsche Unleashed (or 2000) is the best NFS ever to get out. Period.

Hear hear! The only thing I didn't like in that game, was that somewhat akward car part buying system...but everything else, mmmmmmmmmm :heart: