Need For Speed: Shift

hype

Car(s)
GT Chucker
2sam4d2.jpg
169p6xc.jpg
2ewfj1u.jpg

Need for Speed SHIFT is aptly named. Not only do you "shift" gears when you drive (clever, huh?), but it marks a complete "shift" in direction for the series. Thank god, we say. The last one, Undercover, was a bitter disappointment.

Really. Forget everything you know about Need for Speed. Forget all that cynicism. Forget all those ridiculous live action cut scenes with whatshername from thingymebob. Forget all the slowdown. Forget all the gangster silliness. There's no police. There's no open world. This is real racing. Need for Speed SHIFT is a serious racer for serious racing fans, and you'd better get used to it.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/nfs_shift/preview-1539.html

Last edited:
Oh, so EA is going the path Codemasters took years ago with the Race Driver series? And doesen't EA say before every new NFS that it would be a "complete "shift" in direction for the series"?

Oh, so EA is going the path Codemasters took years ago with the Race Driver series? And doesen't EA say before every new NFS that it would be a "complete "shift" in direction for the series"?

Yeah I noticed that too, they said that about Undercover and ProStreet at least...
But this time they at least got themselves a new team for the new direction (the guys who did GTR2 which is supposedly pretty good), so who knows, maybe this time they'll actually end up with a decent game.. ;)

Last edited:
Finally! I thought they'd never stop that street cred gangsta idiocy.

it looks good but the Need for Speed series has never particularly managed to grab my attention and hold it. it seems too much like GRiD and between this and Colin McRae Dirt 2 i could see myself getting Dirt 2 instead of this. if Need for Speed just keeps coming up with ways to re-invent and re-launch itself then all its doing is becoming the game equivalent of Status Quo.

Mmm, purty. I'd like to see the environment without being MASSIVELY motion blurred though :/

Only good NFS games:

NFS1-3
NFS: Porsche Unleashed

x2 ;)

The Need For Speed series should go back to its roots. Supercars, a long stretch of road and the police just trying to get you (but failing miserably).
Or just try the "Test Drive Unlimited" formula.

About shift I also think it looks way too much like Grid. But if the final product looks like that and there are no graphical issues it will be an interesting game to check out.

If this turns out like the last ones, there's and extra "f" on the title.

About shift I also think it looks way too much like Grid. But if the final product looks like that and there are no graphical issues it will be an interesting game to check out.

So, because it has racing cars on fictional street tracks it is Grid?

I think this could be interesting. Can't judge it being like GRiD already... Give it a shot

Why can't they just go to what made the games awesome in the first place? High end supercars and long, fast tracks with fantastic visuals. They've dropped the ball on all of them since Hot Pursuit: 2

EDIT: Did some further reading, and the people who developed GT-R, GT-R 2, and GT Legends are developing the engine for this. Plus, in the interview the guy said this had been in works for 18 months now. I think this'll be fun

Last edited:
Only good NFS games:

NFS1-3
NFS: Porsche Unleashed

Yep. Porsche Unleashed was next to perfect (no 928 :(). I loved the sense of history you got as time progressed and you went from 356s to 911s to 911s, and finally to 911s.

Last edited:
Why, oh why, didn't they take the physics engine (which, by all odds, is going to be good for once) and stamp it into something with open roads and fast cars? It could have been a really interesting mix. Now it's just going to be another racing game and there are plenty of those around already.

Couldn't care less

All you need in NFS are exotic cars, exotic tracks (throw in some cities, but make them different eg. Paris, London, Milan etc) and cops.

Anything else and it's gone down the drain.

Why, oh why, didn't they take the physics engine (which, by all odds, is going to be good for once) and stamp it into something with open roads and fast cars? It could have been a really interesting mix. Now it's just going to be another racing game and there are plenty of those around already.

X2!!!

youve always had these choices of different types of racing games:

1) arcade style street racing

2) arcade style track racing

3) realistic track racing

but why are there no realistic street racing games?!!?! theres never been one! ever! something like Test Drive Unlimited, but with realistic (at least mostly) physics would be my dream game pretty much

All you need in NFS are exotic cars, exotic tracks (throw in some cities, but make them different eg. Paris, London, Milan etc) and cops.
QFT

Why, oh why, did EA decide this simple formula was boring to us and we needed NOS and giant spoilers and faux sponsors?

Give me a Mercedes CLK-GTR and 10,000 cops on my ass in backwoods Britain again. Please.

I will say that I did like the upgradable cars in NFS 4, but going to a system like that again would be like a heroin junkie going back to "just sometimes".

Last edited: