Need For Speed: Shift

What about Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2? I really enjoyed that game. It had the right tracks, right cars, traffic, and COPS <3

I reinstalled NFS: hot pursuit 2 last week! EPIC!! :D

That's very reassuring.

If they've already got hands-on previews going, it must be moving right along. Probably a late this year or early next year release, I'd guess.

'09 fall iirc

While i don't mind a good racing series on the PC, they need to go back to the original format as well, that or work on something massive like NFS Ferrari.

Looks a little too like GRID.

Judging by the trailer they haven't improved car control much over the latest iterations...

...at least the crashes will be pretty...

It will soon be Need Fos Speed : SHIfT when we realise that it's still an arcade NFS game.

I hope they prove me wrong though, I need to start playing something different for a change, been playing LFS for the past couple of month non stop.

First thing I thought of when I aw the trailer was PGR 3 :?

Not played the new one but Pro Street was OK.

Looks like a Prostreet 2. If the car handling is done right (at least somewhat realistic), then it should be a good game. But I doubt it though. EA won't give them the proper time and money to test the real cars and get real handling data.

Lets hope this ShiFt doesnt turn into... SHIT.

Previous ricer versions were appalling.

Ba bump-pa...

Looks like EA is at least half serious at making Shift a sim...

GTSurgeons have revealed some supposedly internal-info on EA`s upcoming Need for Speed Shift title.

While some of the facts below have already been confirmed, most of these details include fresh info.

Physics model of NFS: Shift is based on those of ?Ferrari Project?
Professional setting is more accurate to drive than in GTR2
Eero Piitulainen of Richard Burns Rally has developed totally new tyre-physics model which is mainly responsible for new physics
Difference between 3 physics-models is in assist levels, while lowest setting will provide around 10% of more tyre grip for beginners
Lots of efforts has gone into handling development so the game can be driven with controller
Professional setting will require wheel in order to successfully manage throttle/braking and steering inputs
Shift will feature different car classes - from Golf GTI up to Zonda F
All cars can be upgraded and tuned from inside-out
Most tracks are licensed European and American circuits with few non-existing tracks
There will be few city-circuits
Cockpit is the most important visual feature of the game
Head-physics is the key difference point to other titles
Physic-wise, Need for Speed Shift starts to sound really promising. If done right, the 3 different physic models can really make the game enjoyable both for the usual Need for Speed crowd as well as simulation enthusiasts. The fact that the pro-mode requires a wheel should be seen as a good sign and physics guru Eero Piitulainen will hopefully not sell out his soul either.

The list suggest that most circuits in the game will indeed be real, contrary to what has been shown so far. Keep in mind though, this info is not confirmed by an official source. GTSurgeons have an impressive record in revealing new details about upcoming Gran Turismo titles though, so they most likely do have some good inside-contacts.

Developed by Slightly Mad Studios (former Blimey! Games) and distributed by EA, Need for Speed Shift is expected to be released in September 2009 for the PC and all major consoles. A demo of Shift has been announced to be available this summer.

Source

I will only play this, if they get rid of the nitrous. Enough is enough.

nitrous was perfectly good with need for speed underground (1) as it did not recharge with speed or whatever....

Wow, that preview actually makes the game look promising. I'll be looking forward to it. I think it will be like GRID, but with street cars! :D

I can't think of any good racing-sim games on the PC that have sub-supercar street cars (LFS doesn't count, because the car's aren't real, and GTR Evo doesn't count because it's street cars are only supercars), like the GTI they mentioned.

And the article says that it's only distributed by EA, so that's good. :wink:

And they also need to get rid of the "catch up".
It was perfectly fine in NFS 2, because you could turn it off if you wanted to, I don't remember the next NFS's to have the "catch up", but from NFS U1 it has been constantly on and it's the greatest annoyance in NFS!

I'm leading by nearly half a lap in a Murcielago, and then all of a sudden this AI catches up with me...with a Golf! Come on!

Only good NFS games:

NFS1-3
NFS: Porsche Unleashed

As said before EA always promise to bring out a fresh, new NFS thats better than the medicore one they brought out err....four months ago every four months.

Porsche unleashed was the business.

:+1:'s
Couldn't agree more ;)

I didn't say that cuz i love Porsche, i mean look at the game's ingredients...Factory Driver mode; you learn how to drive a Porsche if you want before getting in Evolution mode; since Porsche started making cars, you play with the classic 356 till the 996 models, plus some taste of Porsche's heritage in the Porsche Chronicles section to watch some videos from the history, and shall we not forget that you can use the indicators, hazards, horn, lights, dashboard camera, so you can have some fun with your mates online, and despite the old graphics which was very simple, but my God it was relaxing and beatiful to look at, unlike the modern games that hurts the eye when you look at cuz of the glow or whatever.....man i'm not even half the way describing this game.

I'm not buying this new NFS thingy, it looks like a copy of GRID, even if it didn't, you won't get that NFS 'ish feeling again, i lost trust in EA since Carbon has came out, but i might download it :mrgreen: but that in case i hear a revolution about this game....enough said.

Last edited:
Having spoken to someone recently who was involved in giving input & feedback on the game, he described it as the most realistic game he has ever played bar none. I'd hand on heart trust this guys feedback, I was skeptical beforehand, but I'm VERY excited now ...

Having spoken to someone recently who was involved in giving input & feedback on the game, he described it as the most realistic game he has ever played bar none. I'd hand on heart trust this guys feedback, I was skeptical beforehand, but I'm VERY excited now ...

The cockpit view mode looks quite visceral. The driver's hands have amazing animations, they grip the wheel harder going into a turn, and it actually looks like the camera is attached to a head.

Very authentic. I hope the driving model has the same attention to detail.