Need help burning DVDs

Censport

Car(s)
Xterra, '63 Corvair, '06 Yamaha FZ6
So I've got all these episodes of TG in .avi format, and I want to burn some to DVD so I can drop them off with my dad. I'm trying to use Windows Media Player, and yes, I have downloaded and installed the XViD codec so WMP will play .avi's.

However, when I attempt to make a DVD, WMP gets all the way to 99.0%, then ejects the disc and says there is an error. It won't say what the error is, and I've yet to successfully make a single DVD.

Any suggestions?

Are you trying to burn it to play in a normal DVD player or just as data?

For a normal DVD player, so Dad can pop it in and watch it on his widescreen TV.

For a normal DVD player, so Dad can pop it in and watch it on his widescreen TV.

Well unless your fathers DVD player can play Divx files its no use by "just" writting the TG episodes to the DVD
There is a software called VSO ConvertXtoDVD which does what you want. Only thing is that it will require more DVDs than when writing TG episodes in avi format.

Last edited:
Well, I was hoping for something free, but I'll buy a program if it's worth the money. I'll do the free trial of VSO and see how it works. Looks like I can use it to add subtitles for my Japanese dramas too.

I've never been able to get WMP to make DVDs, but that's not a problem for me.

I personally use a (ripped) copy of WinAVI to create the DVD folders (very quickly) and then burn them using DVD shrink. I don't do this any more though because I just have everything on the NAS drive. :)

Make sure you've got enough space on your hard drive. I burn DVD Video discs a lot, and every so often I'll get a string of errors and coasters, and it will take a few before I realize I've only got 2-3GB left on the drive used to hold the temp file.

If you have Windows Vista... *hides*

Use Windows DVD Maker, it does all the converting and techincal stuff for you. You can make some really awesome menus too, I have made ones with the Top Gear theme playing, the DVD title in almost perfect Top Gear font and this effect that has little boxes of previews playing that looks like the opening titles. Epically awesome....

If you have Windows Vista... *hides*

Use Windows DVD Maker, it does all the converting and techincal stuff for you. You can make some really awesome menus too, I have made ones with the Top Gear theme playing, the DVD title in almost perfect Top Gear font and this effect that has little boxes of previews playing that looks like the opening titles. Epically awesome....

just my 2 cents. i tired windows dvd maker and i could only fit 2 episodes on a dvd whereas with nero, i could fit 3 per dvd.

So far, I've tried the trial version of VSO ConvertXtoDVD, DVDflick, and Windows DVD Maker. Nothing has worked yet.

And just what is the Top Gear font?

^ I use an italicised Arial Black. It isn't exact, but it's as close as you can get. I think people on here have tried to find the font before and it doesn't exist in the public domain.

What went wrong with Windows DVD maker? Did you get any error messages, or did it just take forever? Taking forever is normal- mine takes about 4 hours to make one DVD :S

As I said in post #1, it gets to 99% and then says there's an error and quits. I'm trying it again now, this time with just one episode (Polar Special).

^ VSO works! I know because I have used it ALOT and its easy. For the trail issues, just search you know cough torrents cough :p

And for the error issue see whether you have sufficent space in the C drive. (That dosent really work with me because I only have 1.64Gb of space left and it still writes DVDs so :?)
And how about smaller things like CDs? When you write them do you get any errors?

Y'know, I don't remember if I've tried burning any CD's on this computer...

As for space, I point the program to my external hard drive, which still has about 300Gb or so unused.

As I remember the temp folder is in C drive. It does not create it near the source file. So hows the C drive space?
And I just remembered I have the TG font. When I was making covers I did a search (Took quite a whle) but I found it.
Its called "HelveticaNeueLTStd-BlkCn" Any realiable hosting places?
Here you go. The closest thing for the TG font. :)

Last edited:
Uh-oh, I only have about 4Gb of space left on the C: drive.

Don't about hosting places. All I've ever had use for is Photobucket.

^ are you using a HP computer by any chance?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...s/thread/5cb0a40d-223c-4aed-87c4-3c63f400ee81

This page has bit of info on the problem, and a link to an update about the issue for HPs. However, both the update and the solution involve messing with the registry, hence I do not endorse it. Might just be a starting point for further research.

Clearing some space up in C: and pointing the temp files to be stored on your external drive may help, but I would expect that to throw up errors before 99%. Although your program may be jumping from a smaller percentage to the 99% as part of the rror, which would explain a bit.

Hope that helps :)

(And Archie411, thanks for the font. I think that the former TG website developer mentioned they had a tweaked version of Helvetica as the TG font, and yours looks prety close- there's a few weighting and spacing differences, biut I'm not going to be picky- THANKYOU!!! :))

As a matter of fact, it is an HP. Thanks for the link!

And the thanks for the font, Archie411!

ETA: According to the link, it's a Vista problem that Microsoft has no intention of ever addressing. Looks like I'll have to dig out my old XP desktop and put DVDflicks on it and see if that works.

Last edited: