Need help with choosing a new car

When it comes to station wagons there is only one way to go...VOLVO!

The V70/850 would be an excellent choice for your needs.
- interior space is enormous (has more cubic feet than the E34 BMW, even though the BMW is larger from the outside)
- gets 30MPG on the highway (in town mileage is a different story...)
- electrics are bulletproof, suspension is a bit dodgy and seems to fail every 70k miles, engine is also bulletproof as long as the timing belt is being changed at the service intervals.
- is it fun? it can be. You can drive it like your granny, or you can push the Sport button on the transmission and you can have some pretty good acceleration, accompanied by a nice soundtrack from the 5 cylinder turbo.

B-Bodies have much much more space than a Volvo estate (for reference I owned an 855 Turbo). Iron head LT1s will not die. The fit may be iffy, but everything will work. If something does break parts are domestic and cheap. Fun? They don't handle, but they have a 'vette engine. :p

For reference, I've thrown in two full size mountain bikes into the back of one without any thought of packing. They fit in fine and there was still plenty of space.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that the Volvo is the most exciting car in the world, but it is definitely more exciting than a 15ft American land-yacht with wood panels on the doors. I don't care what kind of engine it has, I still wouldn't drive one, just because of the way it looks.

I also like the Matrix - obviously, I drive one - but he does consider a WRX wagon too small, so he might consider that too small as well.

I'm shocked a couple people like the Matrix/Vibe. I considered them one step above the Aztek on looks.

I'm not saying that the Volvo is the most exciting car in the world, but it is definitely more exciting than a 15ft American land-yacht with wood panels on the doors. I don't care what kind of engine it has, I still wouldn't drive one, just because of the way it looks.

I'm shocked a couple people like the Matrix/Vibe. I considered them one step above the Aztek on looks.

Who cares about looks when you have to haul stuff across the country? The OP is not picking a car for a magazine cover shoot

moving-pods.jpg

Could this be cheaper than selling your current car and buying a new one? Or, it would at least let you ignore the need to get something big. So you could get a Miata, obviously.

I also like the Matrix - obviously, I drive one - but he does consider a WRX wagon too small, so he might consider that too small as well.

I don't think the WRX can have its seats folded flat, and even if it can, there won't be as much space as the Matrix, which is quite a bit taller.

Hey, they're not things of beauty, but they aren't offensively ugly, either. No other car can compare to the Matrix/Vibe in terms of having the best ratio of space, fuel efficiency, and reliability.

Wood panels are awesome, and if you don't like them then.... too bad!!!! :p

Also, I could have plenty of fun in a Roadmaster.

Forget the gas mileage and get a Trailblazer SS. 400hp (can run 13s stock) so it's fun to drive, room of an SUV, maybe 20mpg highway...never really looked it up. Get the AWD version if you want a winter beater as well, RWD for better mpg. They are pretty comfy too, at least IMO.

Although I'd say just ship what you can and buy a vehicle you'd really like to own.

Sorry for the OT, but anyone remember that kid with the TrailblazerSS? Funny kid.

Forget the gas mileage and get a Trailblazer SS. 400hp (can run 13s stock) so it's fun to drive, room of an SUV, maybe 20mpg highway...never really looked it up. Get the AWD version if you want a winter beater as well, RWD for better mpg. They are pretty comfy too, at least IMO.

Although I'd say just ship what you can and buy a vehicle you'd really like to own.

Yeah, a huge SUV is fun to drive because it's fast in a straight line...:rolleyes:

Sorry for the OT, but anyone remember that kid with the TrailblazerSS? Funny kid.

Haha. Don't remind me. I think he was even worse than Mopar_Man.

I second the PODS suggestion. IIRC, they'll truck the thing from your current location to your new home, all you need to do is load and unload. I doubt it'll cost more than a few hundred dollars, leaving plenty of budget for a fun car.

Sell Toyota, spend proceeds on shipping plus $10,000 on a Miata = WIN!

Keep in mind that little roadsters are loud and uncomfortable on long road trips. If you ever need to go on the Interstate for long periods of time, you will feel the ringing in your ears when you stop for the night. Up to you to decide if it's worth it.

U-Haul, rent or ship. Buy a car that you want on the other end. Buying a car for the trip sounds like a poor choice.

TBH, I'm not a huge fan of the looks either - though the current one looks pretty decent in white, which is why mine is a white one - but there are other reasons to drive a car. It's really quite practical, and much better to drive than you'd expect - or I expected, I didn't think I was going to buy one until I test drove it. The only problems I have with it is the really awful centre stack trim - same plastic is on my TV, the silver likes to wear off if you look at it funny - and Toyota's whole "we forget how to make accelerators properly" thing, which is more annoying than a serious issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Looking back, I probably should have used the word "interesting" instead of fun. I don't want a biege, boring car. I did see an '86 Alfa for sale, but that might be a little too interesting - especially for a cross-country trip. The B body wagon is nice, but considering that I'm going to moving fast once I get my severance package, I doubt I'll be able to find one - that won't stop me from looking, though. I do like the Volvo wagons, and would love to have a Cross Country/XC70. I think an AWD wagon like the Volvo, Passat 4motion, or Subaru Legacy would be a good year-round car, but I'm not wed to the idea that it has to have AWD. I've even been toying with the idea of getting a Panther-platform car. Driving across the US in a Ford Crown Victoria might be kind of entertaining. I would have to pare down my DVD collection and I could only take one TV; but considering I came out to CA 20 years ago with just what I could carry, I've made worse sacrifices.

U-Haul, rent or ship. Buy a car that you want on the other end. Buying a car for the trip sounds like a poor choice.

Believe me, it's much better to buy a car in California than in New Hampshire - even though NH has no sales tax. It's much easier to find a rust-free car here.