Need Help

freakster_991

Car(s)
87 Corolla [EE90], 98 Civic JDM [EK8], no vtec yo
hey people wassssap....
i wanna direct this question at the people of america....
my friend just started college in USA and he wants to buy a car... im not familiar with the american market so some advice would be good...
he is a student in cali... he doesnt know much bout cars except tht he likes em fast.... his budget is USD30K-35K.... wats a good deal like buying wise.... maintanance wise and the whole stuff regardin a student buyer...
he doesnt mind japanese european or american cars...he jst wants it to be quick, brand new and got a bit of tht wow factor....
btw if andyhui pops in here....kair wants a car for this price range...

Re: Need Help

freakster_991 said:
his budget is USD30K-35K.... wats a good deal like buying wise.... maintanance wise and the whole stuff regardin a student buyer...
Is that his budget for the car or for the car and all other expenses (food, tuition, etc...?)
If that's for the car, he can buy an STI / EVO, or something of that nature.

no jst on a car...sti eh.... will do ... but u know he doesnt know much about the car.... so he wants a poser lookin car as well

^ 2nd hand hummer h2, some spinnarz, a woofer, and a big lcd somewhere :D

hahaah...nooooo he wants a ricer ride....hahahaha

freakster_991 said:
no jst on a car...sti eh.... will do ... but u know he doesnt know much about the car.... so he wants a poser lookin car as well

Tell him to lend you some money for english classes.

Re: Need Help

ESPNSTI said:
freakster_991 said:
his budget is USD30K-35K.... wats a good deal like buying wise.... maintanance wise and the whole stuff regardin a student buyer...
Is that his budget for the car or for the car and all other expenses (food, tuition, etc...?)
If that's for the car, he can buy an STI / EVO, or something of that nature.
STI, that's where my $35,000 new car money is, but for me, which is a completely different story, I would find the best Porsche 911 $35k could buy, but, sounds like your friend is the typical testosterone mad eighteen to twenty year-old, so he wants a poser, ricer, jap job, complete with huge, heavy and completely useless subs and amps, and the whole lot.

yes he is.... he doesnt know jack shit bout cars....
he has brought down his choices to either an EVO VIII or an WRX STI.... oh nd he is also considering an RX-8 or a 350Z

freakster_991 said:
yes he is.... he doesnt know jack shit bout cars....
he has brought down his choices to either an EVO VIII or an WRX STI.... oh nd he is also considering an RX-8 or a 350Z
Well amoungst that group, the 350Z has only 2 seats and no boot (cos of big rollbar) so he might wanna rule it out. The RX-8 is a real posermobile and practicle but it lacks the power that the EVO/STI has. I dunno if your friend cares about power over practicality but that would matter in his decision.

btw: The age old question, EVO or STI? Well with me, I think the EVO is actually better but it wouldnt stop me from running down to the shops and getting the Rex cos its got a better pedagree than the EVO.

well he cares bout power...now his choice is confirmed to be STI or EVO....he is worryin bout the evo cuz he doesnt know if its aftermarket sales service is good...like parts and services....so which is better in the USA btwn EVO nd STI...

So he just started college, which puts him at around 18 years old. He's from another country, so he can't be too familiar with American driving laws. He's got 30-35k, of which I'm not going to ask where it came from. And he wants a new sports car, preferably something flashy and fast, that he can rice out and possibly install lots of expensive, easily stolen equipment into.

He should just go to the nearest insurance company and lube himself up. They're going to have a field day on his ass if he buys any of those cars you mentioned.

If I were him, I'd pick up something mildly used from the 90's and save a good chunk of that cash for insurance (unless that's being taken care of, which I doubt) and modifications (tasteful ones, no spinnaz or huge tacky wings). One can buy a good, low-mileage Prelude, 240SX, 300ZX, hell, even M3 for under 10-20 grand, with the remaining money left over for the de rigeur intake and exhaust, etc. And if he wants to be a poseur, well, Type-R stickers are only 3 dollars for a set of 2. And those add 50bhp each, fo'shizzle gggggunit w3rd homie.

Though if he wants to get an EVO, and wants to lose his virginity painfully to the insurance companies, he should keep in mind Mitsubishi's autocross warranty debacle.

I'm more of an STi fan myself.

RX-8 and EVO might have to maintenanced(sp?) occasionally. but those are good choices. How bout a quick sports sedan, like a G35, 3-series or the Acura TL? all good cars, the G35 and the TL being the best deals.

hmm i see...... well u noe he knows nthin bout cars...so moddin it is outta the question...he is fkin rich...well ill see...now its either STI or EVO...

freakster_991 said:
hmm i see...... well u noe he knows nthin bout cars...so moddin it is outta the question...he is fkin rich...well ill see...now its either STI or EVO...
Sigh...he's still going to be fucked over by insurance. He can't afford to make a mistake, considering he's new to the country with a brand-new 300bhp flashy sports sedan.

ohh yea...he did tell me bout insurance being high... but thn his dad will take care of everything.... his dad some rich taiwanese tycoon...son is spoilt as fuck....but he is a nice kid tho...haha and driving in america cant be tht hard...

If he knows jack shit about cars I could see him wrapping his rice mobile around a telephone pole, so no M3's or anything like that, he should get a acura RSX and rice it out, theres lots of those around.

Its like giving a kid a lit firecracker. Good luck on staying alive. Anyone have the link to the smashed EVO a few weeks back?

Ianspeed said:
Its like giving a kid a lit firecracker. Good luck on staying alive. Anyone have the link to the smashed EVO a few weeks back?
Exactly, I just didn't have the heart to say it!

Tell him NOT TO BUY a RX-8.

I don't want another spoiled kid to crash one, it hurts my feelings when I see that.

Renesis said:
Tell him NOT TO BUY a RX-8.

I don't want another spoiled kid to crash one, it hurts my feelings when I see that.

That should be applied to any car over 30k. IMHO, everyone should be forced to start of with a middle aged or run of the mill car, and have to drive it for two years before they can get anything else. Way to many people these days don't know what it takes to get a nice car, and if they get stuff given to them, don't appreciate it for what it's worth... :x