Need some help with laptop internet connection.

Ilpav

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Corolla LE
I have bought a wireless router (Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router) and installed it on both my desktop pc and my new laptop. I tested the connection's speed by downloading the same program from the same site/mirror. On my laptop I get speeds of like 30kb/s, while on my desktop I get speeds of over 150 kb/s. I use Mozilla Firefox and I did the procedure to speed it up on both computers. And BTW my laptop was only about 2 feet away from the router when I tested it.

Thanks for any help.

Is your laptop 802.11g enabled?
If so, is it using g/b mix or just b? The best way to find out is to look at your connection speed to the router on your desktop.

11Mbps - b
54Mbps - g

Yeah, the connection software on the laptop should tell you about the connection quality and therefor the connection speed. Maybe that's your problem.

Maybe you are in a rather busy area, as lots of stuff is in the 2,4 GHz range. Are you running Vista RC something? That had limited power enabled for WLAN. There are also software settings that regulate the WLAN signal power. If your software doesn't let you do that, try in the hardware manager under system.
Maybe your Laptop goes into power savings mode with everything when it runs on battery only.
May sound stupid, but -> change the channel. My router has 12 settings for that, but not all cards seem to receive all 12.

What kinda line are you on? Maybe the server was just busy the time you tried with the laptop. Go to the fastest site you are on and try multiple times with big files(gamershell, or your provider). There are things like wmm, try it all. Are your neighbors using WLAN? Have you secured it? Tons of stuff... You gotta give us something here, come back when you've tried everything, or know more about your problem.
As the last resort, have a mate with a laptop come over and test it.

//edit: Speed up firefox? WTF? I never did anything like that, and I constantly max out my 6 Mbit line via WLAN, and I never have to wait for a site to render/load even if I dl stuff @max... don't bother with shit like that...

Last edited:
I have bought a wireless router (Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router) and installed it on both my desktop pc and my new laptop.
You "installed" it? It's a router, you shouldn't have to "install" anything.

You "installed" it? It's a router, you shouldn't have to "install" anything.

I had to install the software that came with the router.

I am running Windows XP media centre (laptop). When I did the test the laptop was plugged into the wall so there was no battery-saving procedures happening. My laptop is 802.11g enabled and it's using a g/b mix. I did secure my connection.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah the software has to be installed and drivers if your using an earlyer operating system.
I find it is usefull allways to use wiring when in range because of some physics concepts it can never be as fast throught air as throught metal of glass.

I had to install the software that came with the router
No, you didn't. All routers have a web interface that you connect to with any web browser to adjust router configurations.

You can set up linksys routers via a program on your computer which is found on the cd, that in turn configures the router.

So you're both a tad right :)