Need some opinions

XeroState

Car(s)
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
I am looking at getting my first DSLR camera and would just like some opinions.

Firstly I have no bias towards either Canon or Nikon, though I would prefer one of those two [just personal preference].

Now one guy who I know that is really into photography suggested the Nikon D60 or the Canon Rebel XTi [as a first, he would rather see me get the D80.. lol Though he doesn't really 'follow' lower end cameras since getting his D80]. Now from what I have read the XTi seems to have bugs that the XT didn't really have [though the XT seems to be hard to find]. And at the same time the D60 seems to just be a D40 with a few little extra things.

So I ask firstly, what would your suggestion be for a more "entry" level DSLR and secondly, is the D60 worth the 300 higher buck price tag over the D40 and/or how bad is the XTi really?

The XSi and D70/80 are out of my price range, even when on sale.

Also I do not like using things like eBay and do prefer new opposed to used [personal preference based on experience with various different things]. And I live in Canada so Euro stores/prices mean little to me... lol

all the cameras you mentioned are good and I'm sure you would be pleased with any of them.

The best advice I can give you, is to go to a camera shop and feel the models your interested in your hand. The D60 may feel perfect and the Canons may feel strange.

Having a feel for them will certainly help eliminate a few options.

Once you have your final list, head over to dpreview.com and cameralabs.com for some reviews.

Hope this helps.

I was just in that situation.
My friend's father had the XT and loved it; then traded it for an XTi and hated it - very buggy. This was confirmed by a few sources so the XTi was out. Nikon D60 isnt that much better than the D40 but it sure is more expensive. In the end it came down to XT vs D40.
A lot of FGers said that the XT feels really cheap. I didn't really care that much but I stopped by Staples on the way home one day and I think the XT feels just fine. The D40 has a slightly better grip but thats nitpicking. Being used to Canon I liked the menus/interface better on the XT. Did some research on the two (dpreview FTW!) and the two were still very close - Canon slightly better at some things, Nikon slightly better at others. (FYI - Canon builds autofocus into all of their lenses, Nikon does not; the D40 does not have autofocus which limits your choice of lenses.) (Also, they say Canon has better lenses) I was leaning towards Canon and then found a slightly better deal on it so ordered it last night.

Btw, something I noticed from silimar threads on here - its mostly Nikon users that reply and they are biased (naturally)