Nemesis - IceBone's new rig

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
Do you know what nemesis means?

It's being assembled on Wednesday and seeing ye olde pc shoppe couldn't source a few of my desired components, I had to go hunting myself, at which I was successful.

Case: Corsair Graphite 600Tt

RAM: 2x8GB Klevv Neo 1866 MHz DDR3

The rest of the components that were sourced by the shop (this is a work pc, so it's cheaper this way, rather than ordering random components via Amazon):

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A

SideB.jpg

CPU: Intel 4790k Devil's Canyon

26803_intel%20core%20i7%204790k%20review%20-%20intro.jpg

CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i

LD0001190769_2.jpg

SSD: Crucial MX200 250 GB sata

mx200-intro.png

PSU: Corsair CS650M

CSM650_sideview_hero.png

Graphics card (already purchased): Gainward GTX 970

yy03.jpg

I probably won't be able to get beauty shots of the other components, but I will be hovering over the dude's shoulder with my camera, so there will be plenty more pics.

Last edited:
Solid kit, that will make a nice workhorse for you. Any reason for a 250GB SSD and nothing bigger? Is everything you render being moved off to network storage?

Nemesis - A righteous assemblage of top-end components manifested by an appropriate Asian, personalised in this case for a 'orrible c**t......

:D

It's together and on the other desk. I'm downloading a windows 10 ISO and after that's all well and done, I'll take some pics of the interior. I'm not particularly pleased with the 24 pin cables for the mobo and the dual 6 pins for the graphics card. I'll order some braided extensions for maximum good looks.

Last edited:
Dunno how it'll work. I'll call the shop where I got it tomorrow and we'll see what can be done. Might not get a new one until next week. :(

Turns out it's a good thing the SSD conked out as it gave me time to poke around inside to see if anything could be done with the cabling and I noticed that the water cooler for the CPU wasn't even connected properly... Fucking amateurs.

Here's how she looks now, waiting for replacement SSD and braided cables (24 pin for motherboard, two 6 pin for graphics card, 1 6 pin for sata and 1 6 pin for molex.

Cables ordered.

CB-000-NX_27447_400.jpg

CB-022-NX_43680_400.jpg

CB-002-BX_37585_400.jpg

CB-004-BX_37587_400.jpg

CB-019-SV_74766_400.jpg

CB-072-AK_39491_400.jpg

1 of each, except for the 6 pin PCI-E ones. 2 of those.

The ATX cable was modular? I've never seen that before. Strangely enough I also have a cable like that on order but it is to extend the data cable from the radio in the Disco to the AUX-in box, which happens to use a 20-pin ATX connection.

Also, why the need for internal USB 3.0 ports? Does the case not have a connection to the header?

The ATX cable isn't modular on that PSU, that's just an extension with a 24-pin male connector and a 24-pin female connector to make the end at the motherboard look prettier.

I'm always confused by PSUs with modular ATX cables since 99.9% of the rigs need these (0.1% use two PSUs, but that's too small of a group to be really important).

The ATX cable was modular? I've never seen that before. Strangely enough I also have a cable like that on order but it is to extend the data cable from the radio in the Disco to the AUX-in box, which happens to use a 20-pin ATX connection.
The ATX cable isn't modular on that PSU, that's just an extension with a 24-pin male connector and a 24-pin female connector to make the end at the motherboard look prettier.
What he said.

Also, why the need for internal USB 3.0 ports? Does the case not have a connection to the header?
It has a silly male USB-A cable, which is meant to route out the case and into the back of the motherboard. The case was designed at a time when internal headers weren't around yet. This will let me plug that cable straight into the motherboard, without going outside the case.

Last edited:
Shop confirmed it's the SSD. I'll have a replacement delivered to my door tomorrow. Hope the cables arrive soon too, so I can get some nice shots.

Now that it's up and running, I've been doing some tests to see that everything is set up properly. Primarily the CPU cooler.

Idle and low load operation: ?5K+, in this case 29?C;
Torture test: ?26K+, in this case 50?C;

Compared to the old computer, which ran at around ?20K+ at idle and up to ?70K+ under load, this is a massive fuck yeah!

I've ordered some new fans too. One Corsair AF120 for the back of the case and two SP120's for the cooler. They should provide the same amount of cooling at lower RPM and also look better than the blocky stuff Corsair provides with the cooler and case as a stock option. Once those and the braided cables are in, I'll take some pics.

This, however, is the shopping list for the near and far future:

• Smoked perspex side panel to replace the metal with grate.
  • Additional Gainward GTX 970 for dat SLI
  • Additional 2x8GB kit of Klevv Neo memory
  • Intel 750 SSD @ 400GB for dat NVME 2 GB/s+ transfer rates

Last edited: