Nemesis - IceBone's new rig

Now that it's up and running, I've been doing some tests to see that everything is set up properly. Primarily the CPU cooler.

Idle and low load operation: ?5K+, in this case 29?C;
Torture test: ?21K+, in this case 50?C;

Compared to the old computer, which ran at around ?20K+ at idle and up to ?70K+ under load, this is a massive fuck yeah!

image.jpg

Dayum. That rig looks nice. Ugh if it wasn't for my car I'd be building mine now.

Braided cables coming tomorrow, so there will be pics.

Sneak preview, though. ;)

20263233054_4398a92c52_b.jpg

No cables yet, looks like they'll be delivered Monday, but I'm rendering my first video right now. 1080p30, two passes, going at 140% real time speed. CPU temp holding steady at 55?C, GPU temp at 54?C. For comparison, old rig (only thing that changed basically is the CPU, which was an i7-2600) barely managed 66% real time speed with CPU at 90?C+ and GPU thermal throttling at 84?C.

Dang, Gina!

Cables are here, but they aren't as good as I expected them to be, so I found a company in the UK that does custom cables by hand and looking at their portfolio, they're much much nicer looking. They'll be making me a bespoke colour combination cable kit, which I'll probably be able to pick up when I'm in England in October.

The cables were delayed, but should be shipped soon.

In the mean time, Corsair has started shipping the HG10 N970 bracket, so I'll be able to water cool my graphics card with one of their AIO coolers, like I have on my CPU (but a single 120mm this time).

I've also installed 2 new fans by EKWB (woo, go local business!) on said CPU cooler, which are both quiter and more efficient.

Next thing: transparent magnetically latching side panel with a leather strap (I decided against using the existing plastic latches) and that should be it. Time for pics afterwards.

Finally placed an order for one of these:

Now I just need the cooler itself.

Finally placed an order for one of these:

Now I just need the cooler itself.
I knew waiting a little would pay off. Seller popped up on amazon.co.uk with a 20 pound discount for black Friday. Yoink!

Now all I need is the acrylic side panel and I can start putting it together!

EDIT: Just sent this in pdf form including a dwg file for CNC. Sometimes working with CAD pays off. :p

c9616a082c.png

Last edited:
Slightly crappy image, I'll make better ones once the graphics card is water cooled.

_ICE5427.jpg

Things are slowly trickling in.

What's left:

• vinyls (can be short ordered)
  • graphics card fan
  • NZXT Hue+ from RMA
  • side panel

Then I can hopefully stop fiddling (until Pascal is released anyway...)

Did i miss pics of the completed build?

Waiting for glass panel and some work on the inside. Pics soon!

Glass panel still hasn't arrived, but the new card has been ordered. 1080 FTW Hybrid.

08G-P4-6288-KR_XL_4.jpg

hoooo boy...

JjhPnyW.jpg

It's sooooooooooo nice... The proper AIO cooler keeps the idle temperature at +?1-2K and even with completely maxed out settings in GTAV and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (including AA and AO) I didn't see the temperature go above +?20K all the while keeping the fan speed at minimum. Amazing what a GPU specific cold plate does. I might actually replace the radiator fan with a slower, even quieter one.

Some benchmarks, comparing it to my old 970.

ULDELeb.png

:mrgreen:

It seems like it's a smaller total cooling medium volume by doing it seperately. Do you think the heat soak from long-term sessions is more or less than if it were in a combined-with-CPU full custom loop with a reservoir (assuming a rad the size of your two combined CPU and GPU radiators were the same, aka (1) 360 for the combined loop vs (1) 120 + (1) 240.)

I realize that is a very convoluted way to ask that question, so let me know if i need to re-word it. I think I need to pull back my OC just a little bit because after about 4 hours, my temps are a little higher than I'd like (I have the fans controlled to never go above a set RPM...I'd gladly give up very slight performance to keep the sound as quiet as it is...any faster, and it's louder). Note that it's a warm room which doesn't help things, and the airflow trough the front of the NXZT 340 Elite has to be pulled in from the top and bottom, so it's not totally unrestricted.

It seems like it's a smaller total cooling medium volume by doing it seperately. Do you think the heat soak from long-term sessions is more or less than if it were in a combined-with-CPU full custom loop with a reservoir (assuming a rad the size of your two combined CPU and GPU radiators were the same, aka (1) 360 for the combined loop vs (1) 120 + (1) 240.)

I think a custom loop would use thicker radiators, and that also makes a huge difference in getting rid of the heat. But that also comes at a much higher cost.

I realize that is a very convoluted way to ask that question, so let me know if i need to re-word it. I think I need to pull back my OC just a little bit because after about 4 hours, my temps are a little higher than I'd like (I have the fans controlled to never go above a set RPM...I'd gladly give up very slight performance to keep the sound as quiet as it is...any faster, and it's louder). Note that it's a warm room which doesn't help things, and the airflow trough the front of the NXZT 340 Elite has to be pulled in from the top and bottom, so it's not totally unrestricted.

That is why I won't use that case, or anything from NZXT really. It makes no sense to me to have a spot for a radiator and not enough area to pull air from.

I'd say it's pretty much the same. If you're interested in how much of cooling performance you need and would get from specific components, EKWB has a nice configurator on their site.

If I wanted to get more performance from my setup, I would delid the CPU. That's the only reason why a 240 rad on a 75W CPU performs worse than a 120 rad on a 225W GPU. Far too inefficient heat transfer with the included heat spreader vs raw silicon die on the GPU.