• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

New AMG V8 Released!

The new powerpack is produced at the ultra-modern AMG engine workshops, according to the "one man, one engine" philosophy. This means that a single technician assembles the complete engine by hand ? as witness his signature on the engine?s AMG badge.

Thanks to Clarkson, nobody will believe that anymore :)

What really annoys me is the fact that this is a 6.2L engine and not a 6.3L. Why are they doing it? Doesn't 6.2 sound good or what?

The engine should be great, i hope they will bring it in the SLK :)

why should it be a 6.3 what difference does it make? u like the sound of, e.g. SLK63 better than SLK62?

personally i would like SLK65 lol

As this engine replaces the 5.5l supercharged V8 in the AMG 55 models, an AMG car with this engine will probably still be named 55. Why? Because they both have ~500 hp. If they'd call it 63 you'd think it has more hp...

I'm not sure, but I think I've read this somewhere. ;)

cya
Oliver

If I recall, Mercedes used a 6.3L V8 in another decade, so this might be a tribute to that old one, in a manner similar to BMW making its V-12 a 6.75 L in the Rolls-Royce Phantom to match the old 6.75 L V8.

Keys figures at a glance:

Displacement: 6208 cc

Bore/stroke: 102.2/94.6 mm

Compression ratio: 11.3 : 1

Output: 375 kW/510 hp at 6800 rpm

Max. torque: 630 Nm at 5200 rpm

Yeah whats the deal with that huh? If its a tribute to the old engine... make it the same dimensions as the old engine...

hajj said:
What really annoys me is the fact that this is a 6.2L engine and not a 6.3L. Why are they doing it? Doesn't 6.2 sound good or what?

The engine should be great, i hope they will bring it in the SLK :)

i hope they dont put it in the SLK.. putting a heavier engine such as this might throw off the feel of the SLK, i think this engine might actually end up in the ML and E.. the SLK and C just went up from 32 to 55.. i doubt they will up it again to 63

The current 5.5 supercharged V8 has more torque at lower rpms, this new engine is gonna feel slower.

Woo hoo this is mammoth news for an AMG fan like myself. For the past year i'v been thinking: "Shit! The M5 really is better!" Not any-more :evil:

Mercedes havnt sold out and gone for a V10 engine that sounds like a diesel at low-revs and at startup (M5 i'm looking at you... :lol: ), instead it will still have that deep, throaty mellow sounding engine that Clarkson has come to adore in past series'.

Personally, i would still like to see the "55" badge used on the back...its become an icon in motoring over the past 5years or so. Even if the displacment is 6.2! Hell the SL65 is actually a 6.0L.

Thankfully, the new AMG engine will develop 3 more horsepower than the M5 and should have 110NM more at peak performance. I can't wait for this new engine to be put in :D :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
Woo hoo this is mammoth news for an AMG fan like myself. For the past year i'v been thinking: "Shit! The M5 really is better!" Not any-more :evil:

Mercedes havnt sold out and gone for a V10 engine that sounds like a diesel at low-revs and at startup (M5 i'm looking at you... :lol: ), instead it will still have that deep, throaty mellow sounding engine that Clarkson has come to adore in past series'.

Personally, i would still like to see the "55" badge used on the back...its become an icon in motoring over the past 5years or so. Even if the displacment is 6.2! Hell the SL65 is actually a 6.0L.

Thankfully, the new AMG engine will develop 3 more horsepower than the M5 and should have 110NM more at peak performance. I can't wait for this new engine to be put in :D :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

Wait your a Merecedes fan right? I really can't tell, really. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oliB said:
As this engine replaces the 5.5l supercharged V8 in the AMG 55 models, an AMG car with this engine will probably still be named 55. Why? Because they both have ~500 hp. If they'd call it 63 you'd think it has more hp...

cya
Oliver
i think 55 because of the 5.5 liter.. just like the 65, 6.5 liter and so on.. i don't think its by hp.

logo said:
oliB said:

cya
Oliver
i think 55 because of the 5.5 liter.. just like the 65, 6.5 liter and so on.. i don't think its by hp.

its all by displacement, tho the 65 was a 6.0L because they number had to be higher than the 600... if they went by displacement for the 65 then it would be the SL60, and that seems to be on par with the 600.. so they upped it to 65... this will be the 63

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=106365?tid=edmunds.h..insideline.promo.4.*#1

looks like it will make its way into the S, ML, and R at first

logo said:
oliB said:

cya
Oliver

I think they even said in Top Gear that it is a 6.5liter, but it's wrong :D :D

It's gonna be in the ML first, then later in the S, R, E and every other car apart from the A and the B. The ML63 will come out this year.

I just want it to be in the SLK because it is so light. The SLK55 has "only"got 360bhp, so the difference will be huge :) (The same applies to the C-class of course ;) )

I am a bit worried about the loss of torque compared to the supercharged 55. What transmission will be used with that engine? The 7speed auto or the 5speed auto or maybe even the 6speed ZF auto? :? :?

hajj said:
logo said:
oliB said:

cya
Oliver

I think they even said in Top Gear that it is a 6.5liter, but it's wrong :D :D

It's gonna be in the ML first, then later in the S, R, E and every other car apart from the A and the B. The ML63 will come out this year.

I just want it to be in the SLK because it is so light. The SLK55 has "only"got 360bhp, so the difference will be huge :) (The same applies to the C-class of course ;) )

I am a bit worried about the loss of torque compared to the supercharged 55. What transmission will be used with that engine? The 7speed auto or the 5speed auto or maybe even the 6speed ZF auto? :? :?

well there is a loss of torque.. the 5.5L Supercharged V8 gives out 516lb-ft of torque.. where as this new 6.3 L NA V8 gives out 464 lb-ft of torque.. theres a difference.. but i dont think its that bad... still a lot more torque than the BMW V10 in the M5 and M6

jasonchiu said:
why should it be a 6.3 what difference does it make? u like the sound of, e.g. SLK63 better than SLK62?

personally i would like SLK65 lol
Apparently, MB has registered the name SL69. Which only goes to show that they have finally decided to make a car based on sex ;)

oliB said:

MB has a very curious way of rating their cars. A 2.3 liter engine used to be called a 230, whilst an AMG engine just omitted the last number from the full one. But nowadays they're going back to what they did over ten years ago, i.e. choosing more random numbers (nobody I know, really knows why). They've chosen the designation 55 for a 5.4 liter engine (well, 5.432 or something like that), and 350 for the 3.5 liter engine. But 200 for a 1.8 liter, and 280 for a 3 liter one.

Some people think that they're doing this to differentiate their cars more easily from each other. However, AMG tries to keep this number designation as close to the original 'size' of the engine, as possible. Whilst the 63 engine is just a hair above 6.2 liters, they like to round their numbers up it would seem. Just gives it more prestige in the eyes of MB executives.

MercedesAMG said:
i hope they dont put it in the SLK.. putting a heavier engine such as this might throw off the feel of the SLK, i think this engine might actually end up in the ML and E.. the SLK and C just went up from 32 to 55.. i doubt they will up it again to 63
Actually, the 6.2 liter engine is supposedly 20lb lighter then the current 5.4 liter one in the SLK 55, whilst the engine dimension is practically the same.

I have the SLK 55 AMG and I can tell you that even if the 63 was a larger engine, there is roughly 5-10 cm's free space on front of the current engine in my car, and another 15-20cm's on the sides.

It could take the larger bore engine, and as it is lighter, it would improve the current lineup quite significantly. However, having said this, the engine might be scaled down since it is quite a bit more powerful and the SLK would become an SL eater due to its lighter weight.

Fab-Design and Kleemann can up power to 500-600hp by bolting on an SC, but an SC won't provide a linear distribution of power. Also, it will add more weight, but they did mention that the car could become a 4.2 or even a 3.7 second car. Since this engine is lighter, has a more even power band, and will develop roughly 500hp, we're looking at a car which costs half as much as an SL55, yet trashes it in just about every measure of power... maybe not a smart move from MB if they want to continue selling their 'big hit SL'.

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
Rumors have it that MB/AMG will be producing a V12 labelled the 69 (possibly with a 6.8 liter engine?).

logo said:
No, you're wrong. The 55 is a 5.4 liter, the 65 is 6 liter engine. The number does not necessarily mean the displacement of the engine.

hajj said:
Loss of torque is minimal since the powerband is more smooth. It is a more efficient engine and whilst there is loss in torque, there is an increase in HP (the tradeoff). You might remember the S2000 engine, which whilst producing 240hp, has very little torque. Still, the car is a 5.5 second one in skilled hands ;)

And if that's not enough, add a supercharger and you'll have one he11 of a fast machine.

P.S. The 7G gearbox as tuned by AMG is rated at up to 700hp (apparently). It should take this engine just fine (and possibly the 69 if it comes out).

P.P.S. see image of my engine - http://www.catgirlsparadise.com/images/r171/Pict0055.jpg
http://www.catgirlsparadise.com/images/r171/Pict0057.jpg

Shinigami, post more pics!! I love that car! :thumbsup:

Some interior, some exterior...