New Apple MacBook Air

My old 12" rev.a was an 866Mhz G4. I believe they went up to 1.4Ghz.

IMO, if you think about it, you really do not need most of the stuff that is missing from MBA.
DVD drive? I haven't used the one on my laptop for ages (I use USB flashdrive or an USB external HDD) Irreplacable battery? Apple will replace it for you at only the cost of the baterry $130 (I think). When I wanted to change the battery on my Acer, I had to mail it to the service HQ anyway. Only one USB port? How many do you really use on your laptop at once? Remember that is is not meant to be your one and only computer. Specs... hmm... they are allright for the computer of its size, but then again this isn't meant to be a computer for hardcore apps, get an 8-core Mac Pro if you want specs. :)
Overall, I admit it is a pricey piece of gadget (mind you, the apple remote is $20 optional extra on $1800 version), but that's what the competition is charging, plus you get the amazing looks..

The best ultraportable laptop, the end:

fujitsu-siemens-lifebook-p7230-1.jpg

(Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook P7230)

It's a bit costly, but which ultraportable laptop's arn't?

Under-average performance.
Under-average screen.

That allso applies to the Apple McBook Air if the specs posted in on the first page are true. In my opinion, those specs, looks and the lack of modularity cannot be tolerated. It seems like they made a computer, made it thin and pretty then just tore a ridiculous price outta their asses.

1.36 kg so its about 1kg lighter than a normal MacBook

That's the only respectable figure.
I would still buy a normal 12" PC with half the pricetag if it means I get a better performing system, with better connection slots. Sure it might be 0.5kg heavier... but I just cannot get over that ludicrous price of the Apple.

I guess it is the way of the universe. Stupid shallow people cannot resist pretty shiny things no matter how crappy they are compared to other neat, less shiny things. For as long as I can remember, Apple users have never paid for performance or user friendly electronics, only style. This new laptop is nothing different and it makes me happy... yes, I can continue laughing at Apple users.

Last edited:
No, Apple just fails. End of story.

Just those who say you can't replace the battery:

You can and it takes only minutes, apparently.

If you think I'm going to do that on a plane, you're crazy. Hell, it they saw you disassembling a laptop on a plane and pulling out a plastic brick they'd probably arrest you.

As far as portable notebooks go, Sony makes the excellent TZ-series. They're truly portable and have all the standard features. Pricey, but probably cheaper than the Air.

My mum has a sony ultraportable (can't remember the model number something like TXP-37GP) Either way it's a 1.2ghz (one of the ultra low frequency ones) 1.5gb of ram (upped from 1gb) DVD burner etc and weighs around 1.3kg. The battery lasts for about 6 hours

Just those who say you can't replace the battery:

You can and it takes only minutes, apparently.

Boy, you completely missed why people want removable batteries. It's so you can carry multiple batteries with you on a trip. I certainly won't be unscrewing the bottom of the case on a plane trip to Tokyo!

Nice avatar, btw. I'm so happy my Giants are in the SuperBowl, but sad I can't afford the $12,000 road trip to watch them play. Grrr, I wish I was rich.

The best ultraportable laptop, the end:

(Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook P7230)

It's a bit costly, but which ultraportable laptop's arn't?

I had a lifebook a few years ago (with an 800mHz TransMeta fancy low power CPU). The keyboard was too tiny for actual use and long-term the quality was a problem, the screen broke for no apparent reason although it does work with an external monitor. In all it was tiny but not useable. Thinkpad X FTW.

IMO, if you think about it, you really do not need most of the stuff that is missing from MBA.
DVD drive? I haven't used the one on my laptop for ages (I use USB flashdrive or an USB external HDD)

I can buy that argument. But (1) other ultraportables ditched the optical long before Apple did, and support adding them back via a media slice dock (another area in which Apple fails). And (2) the bay is modular, so you can take out the optical drive and put in a 2nd battery or a 2nd hard drive, another Apple failure.

Irreplacable battery? Apple will replace it for you at only the cost of the baterry $130 (I think). When I wanted to change the battery on my Acer, I had to mail it to the service HQ anyway.

That will be very helpful when my battery runs out on a trans-Pacific flight and I want to put in my 2nd battery. Or if I want to upgrade from a 6 cell battery to a 9 cell battery, it won't be possible.

Only one USB port? How many do you really use on your laptop at once?

More than one.

Usually a mouse goes in there. I always use USB thumb drives. And often when travelling I have a USB hard disk. And if the one USB port doesn't have sufficient power, all USB hard disks allow you to attach a 2nd port for supplemental power. Realistically, using the Macbook Air requires me to travel with a powered USB hub. FAIL.

Remember that is is not meant to be your one and only computer.

The way it is, it isn't even meant to be a true portable. No expandability, and the footprint is almost the size of a Macbook Pro so it won't fit in tight spaces (hotel safes, crowded coach seat trays). FAIL.

I had a lifebook a few years ago (with an 800mHz TransMeta fancy low power CPU). The keyboard was too tiny for actual use and long-term the quality was a problem, the screen broke for no apparent reason although it does work with an external monitor. In all it was tiny but not useable. Thinkpad X FTW.

Can't, not even slightly, be compared. The P+Q-series is actually made in Germany, so the build quality is excellent. My father has the previous gen P7230 (he has it for 3 years or smth now) and it has never gone wrong.

Boy, you completely missed why people want removable batteries. It's so you can carry multiple batteries with you on a trip. I certainly won't be unscrewing the bottom of the case on a plane trip to Tokyo!

Oh you're right, I though people were just bitching like when people found out the iPod battery wasn't "replaceable." My mistake.

Nice avatar, btw. I'm so happy my Giants are in the SuperBowl, but sad I can't afford the $12,000 road trip to watch them play. Grrr, I wish I was rich.

Can't get enough T.O. crying. He is the most psychotic athlete in the modern era.

Amazing how they were able to cram a 1.8GHz C2D into an ultraportable. I wonder how hot that thing will get under use...