New Apple MacBook Air

Apple Aus has the pricing up, shafting as per usual

1.6ghz is AU$2500 (US$2208) and 1.8ghz is AU$4338 (US$3832) (prices include GST)

Last edited:
Macbook starts at AU$1,599?? Do they give education discounts at least?

Specs wise I found it "meh", but aestethics wise it truly is amazing...

You really think so? I find the bottom weird because of the way it starts out thick and slims down towards the edges. It makes it look like a wafer cookie thing.

Plus what's the deal with the power adapter being under the chassis? So one side stays jacked up when plugged in? And while I'm being anal and a fanboy, I hate the black keyboard. Why black? I thought it was such a nice change when the old PowerBook moved to matching silver buttons.

...aestethics wise it truly is amazing...

Last edited:
^ It looks pretty level when plugged in, they probably spent millions just developing that. :rolleyes:

I think its good looking basically because its an anorexic aluminum Macbook.

ooooh one of apples innovations is "sharing" a cd drive from a host computer, you know kinda like windows 95 (or I beleive even 3.11 could do it)

Agreed, I was just thinking how stupid this is.

"Oh, we couldn't fit an optical drive in the chassis and we're too cheap to bundle an external drive, so we'll just make a snazzy program out of a feature that's always been there so people don't catch on."

ooooh one of apples innovations is "sharing" a cd drive from a host computer, you know kinda like windows 95 (or I beleive even 3.11 could do it)

but weren't they so nice to make a superdrive for only $99?

Last edited:
^ No... this is like Apple taking out the charger for the full-size iPods. A superlight notebook, especially one costing upwards of $2,000, should come with a SuperDrive.

I was being facetious.

edit: maybe it would have helped if I formed a sentence correctly

The MacBooks just don't seem as well-built as the MBP.

I agree, my old rev.a 12" Powerbook was a much more solid machine than my current Macbook rev.b.

Apple Aus has the pricing up, shafting as per usual

1.6ghz is AU$2500 (US$2208) and 1.8ghz is AU$4338 (US$3832) (prices include GST)

For once Oz is cheaper than we are. It's basically $2,400 for the 1.6ghz here and a whopping $4,050 for the 1.8ghz :blink:. They are chargng $1,300 for the SSD here as well.

The Macbook AIR seems pretty cool, but i think its a bit pricey for myself. For me if i want to go small i think a macbook is about the right size and weight for me, but i can see where people will like the AIR.
The thing i like a lot of the iPhone update, the GPS that is not really GPS is very cool and does work, and messing with your home page is very cool and useful.
I was at the show and here are some of the pics i took: http://flickr.com/photos/zuhaib/sets/72157603728607075/

my two cents
to prove that i am not an apple fanboy i do not own an ipod but instead i own a SanDisk Sansa e250 which i think is light years ahead of an ipod

I own nothing from apple and probably never will, but i think you all are wrong. I think that the MBA is a bargain for that price especially compared to the MBP. So what if it doesn't have a dvd drive and only one usb port. It was not made to game or do autocad on. It was made to use Word and check your email. The price is so high because you have to pay when something is so small. The sony cost at its very base level and $2000 and goes past $4000 and its specs are no where as good as the MBA. Its really annoying to me that because APPLE is making something that you have no need of, its a crappy product. I have absolutely no need for something so small but i can see that this piece of hardware at this price is an amazing bargain for a person in the business world that travels most days and need to be able to write papers/reports. Also it does have a completely aluminum case(They talked about it during the keynote). When i take my laptop with me(which is ever day when i go to school) I never bring any of my usb stuff. If you are using it as a ultra mobile computer as that is what it is meant for, why carry around all of these other usb accessories. While at home spend 10 dollars and get a 4 port usb hub then you have space for everything you could want from a mouse to ethernet to a tv tunner.

I really think that the apple tv was cool for older parents and people who don't want to drive and get a movie. I would never get one because i basically can do everything that it does with my computer and my xbox 360. But i would think about having my mom or dad get one for there houses. I thought that the price for renting a movie what decent, but the cool thing is that you have 30 days to watch the movie and you can movie it around to anything device that you want.

Last edited:
my two cents
to prove that i am not an apple fanboy i do not own an ipod but instead i own a SanDisk Sansa e250 which i think is light years ahead of an ipod

I own nothing from apple and probably never will, but i think you all are wrong. I think that the MBA is a bargain for that price especially compared to the MBP. So what if it doesn't have a dvd drive and only one usb port. It was not made to game or do autocad on. It was made to use Word and check your email. The price is so high because you have to pay when something is so small. The sony cost at its very base level and $2000 and goes past $4000 and its specs are no where as good as the MBA. Its really annoying to me that because APPLE is making something that you have no need of, its a crappy product. I have absolutely no need for something so small but i can see that this piece of hardware at this price is an amazing bargain for a person in the business world that travels most days and need to be able to write papers/reports. Also it does have a completely aluminum case(They talked about it during the keynote). When i take my laptop with me(which is ever day when i go to school) I never bring any of my usb stuff. If you are using it as a ultra mobile computer as that is what it is meant for, why carry around all of these other usb accessories. While at home spend 10 dollars and get a 4 port usb hub then you have space for everything you could want from a mouse to ethernet to a tv tunner.

I really think that the apple tv was cool for older parents and people who don't want to drive and get a movie. I would never get one because i basically can do everything that it does with my computer and my xbox 360. But i would think about having my mom or dad get one for there houses. I thought that the price for renting a movie what decent, but the cool thing is that you have 30 days to watch the movie and you can movie it around to anything device that you want.

Except for buisness people the lack of a built in ethernet port means that they're going to have to carry the ethernet adaptor around.

You really think so? I find the bottom weird because of the way it starts out thick and slims down towards the edges. It makes it look like a wafer cookie thing.

Plus what's the deal with the power adapter being under the chassis? So one side stays jacked up when plugged in? And while I'm being anal and a fanboy, I hate the black keyboard. Why black? I thought it was such a nice change when the old PowerBook moved to matching silver buttons.

I personally like the way it slims down toward the edges...:lol:
Just to clarify how it works:
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/16/vlcsnap9085715.png
I don't know how commom backlit keyboards are, but this one looks really nice and I mus agree with you, silver buttons would look better...

I'll stick to my Sony Vaio T-series.

Not quite as thin (it'll still fit in an envelope) but the keyboard is still usable, I have a DVD burner, 2 USB + 1 i.Link ports, Bluetooth and ethernet. The SSD version also has an 11 hour battery life, so the fact that the battery is removable is not as big a plus as in this 5 hour Apple.

Its still more than portable enough.

Except for buisness people the lack of a built in ethernet port means that they're going to have to carry the ethernet adaptor around.

Unless Apple releases a docking station that plugs into that single USB interface and acts as a USB hub, this thing will be completely useless for business use.

But then, its an Apple. That situation is hardly news.

Yeah, I realized after posting that that because of the contoured edges it won't stick up if you plug it in. However I read that if you use the regular Apple MagSafe power adaptor from the other laptops, it will stay jacked up (since they're designed to be plugged in from the side).

Backlit keyboards have been on the PowerBook/MacBook Pro for years now. It's a very cool feature though, and quite useful in many situations.

I personally like the way it slims down toward the edges...:lol:
Just to clarify how it works:
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/16/vlcsnap9085715.png
I don't know how commom backlit keyboards are, but this one looks really nice and I mus agree with you, silver buttons would look better...

I'll stick to my Sony Vaio T-series.

Not quite as thin (it'll still fit in an envelope) but the keyboard is still usable, I have a DVD burner, 2 USB + 1 i.Link ports, Bluetooth and ethernet. The SSD version also has an 11 hour battery life, so the fact that the battery is removable is not as big a plus as in this 5 hour Apple.

Its still more than portable enough.

The cheapest TZ is $300 more expensive, comes with a 1.06 GHz C2D, and has a smaller screen (11.1" vs 13.3"). Granted, some of the TZ models actually have a DVD drive and slightly better battery life, but the slower processor and GPU kinda let things down.

I'm in the market for an ultraportable myself, and while I'm sticking with the XPS M1330 for the improved speed, I can see the appeal of a laptop that's thinner, cheaper, and about the same weight as ULV processor equipped laptops like the Vaio TZ, all while using CPUs of a higher speed class (1.6-1.8 GHz instead of 1.06-1.33). Naturally, like the eeePC, you can get a much better price:performance ratio if you go with a larger, heavier notebook, but that's a bit like saying a station wagon is a better deal than an Elise because it's cheaper and has more cargo space. Size is kinda important here. ;)