New bike ideas for Argatoga

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
So I just accepted a fancy new job with a fancy salary and now I'm thinking of buying a new bike next Spring. I'm looking to buy new to avoid P.O. surprises.

My budget can go up to ~$16,000, but I'd like to keep it under that. Here are the things I'm looking for:

Shaft drive (I ride a lot and am lazy).
Under 600lbs wet (the lighter the better).
Standard riding position.
Speed isn't a huge issue, but I'd like to have something that can hit sixty in under six seconds.
I want to be able to go more than two days before filling up (my CX500's 3 gallon tank is annoying).

Right now I'm thinking a MG V7. I love the retro looks, but I'm not so keen on the retro performance. The ~400lbs weight is a huge plus.

So I just accepted a fancy new job with a fancy salary and now I'm thinking of buying a new bike next Spring. I'm looking to buy new to avoid P.O. surprises.

My budget can go up to ~$16,000, but I'd like to keep it under that. Here are the things I'm looking for:

Shaft drive (I ride a lot and am lazy).
Under 600lbs wet (the lighter the better).
Standard riding position.
Speed isn't a huge issue, but I'd like to have something that can hit sixty in under six seconds.
I want to be able to go more than two days before filling up (my CX500's 3 gallon tank is annoying).

Right now I'm thinking a MG V7. I love the retro looks, but I'm not so keen on the retro performance. The ~400lbs weight is a huge plus.

800px-Honda_VFR1200F_with_Dress-up_Parts_and_Accessories.jpg

2010-honda-NT700V-9.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with the NT700V is that it is as interesting as a wedge of cheese.

And close to 3,000 miles away.

Yeah, you've really narrowed your choices with that list. I'd say either get the aforementioned NT700V, or your choice of Guzzi. I find the Griso 8v SE to be BAMF, myself.

2010-Moto-Guzzi-Griso-1200-8V-SE.jpg

Is there any wiggle room for your list of criteria? I mean, the only other thing I could suggest would be a Kawi Concours 14. At 688lbs, it's a little on the heavy side, but you could ditch the bags to save weight. And yes I know that with a list price of $16,199 is a little over your budget, but you should have no trouble picking up a leftover for much less OTD. And you don't have to worry about it being boring, cause it's practically a freaking ZX-14!

Kawasaki_Concours_14_ABS_2011-6.jpg

There's also the VFR1200. I don't know how much these things weigh, Honda's website says "tbd" so who knows. Styling is a little controversial, but it is a V4. I know it looks a little aggressive, but I've sat on one and found it bearable. Worse case-scenario you have to buy risers. These didn't sell well, so expect to pay way less then the 15 and change asking price if you find a leftover.

vfr1200studio-side.jpg

That's really all I can come up with unless you're willing to go without shaft drive. I'm back on the chain gang now myself and it's not that bad.

Attachments

• vfr1200studio-side.jpg
    vfr1200studio-side.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 132
I've looked at the VFR, sadly when I had a new tire installed at the dealer yesterday they didn't have one in stock so I haven't been able to test one.

MG has an advantage to what I'm looking for. They have a dealer nearby which is a plus.

Last edited:
The VFR would be my ideal bike if it wasn't this fugly.

A disadvantage to MG is that none of their bikes seem to have ABS.

- - - Updated - - -

Rossco, how much weight does ditching the bags save?

I dunno how much those bags weigh. but if you got rid of them, the rear rack, mudguard, and swapped that big honkin exhaust for a lighter can, you could definitely get close to your 600 pound limit.

Re: New bike ideas for Argatoga

What would be the Falturn SL of motorcycles? :p

Yup. Those would be it. They were so bad that this was literally the 2010 model.
Buell-Blast.jpg

Pre-crushed at the factory by the manufacturer. No, really, that was the catalog image on their web page.

This was the specs for the 2010 model:
2010 Buell Blast Spec Sheet:
Overall Height: 28 in.
Overall Width: 28 in.
Engine: Smashed
Peak Hp / Torque (Ft/Lbs.)*: 0 / 0
Suspension, Front: Compressed
Suspension, Rear: Bottomed
Brake, Front: Fixed
Brake, Rear: Fixed
Seat Height***: Variable
Wheelbase **: Variable
Dry Weight: 360 lbs
Colors: Sunfire Yellow, Midnight Black, Battle Blue

So, yeah, it was the Failturn of motorcycles - so bad that at the end even the manufacturer felt bad about trying to foist them off on unsuspecting victims and ended up sending them to the crusher before anyone else could make the mistake of buying them.

Last edited:
Cue Spectre description of the quality of the BMW shaft drive...