New BMW Z4

LeMans GTR

Video:http://www.worldcarfans.com/4071102.002/bmw-z4-spied-on-video
Spotted on its latest round of the Nurburgring, this is the previously-unidentified Z4 prototype, thought perhaps with its thicker faux panels to be a Z6 or Z9 in the early stages of development. But its Z4 status has now been confirmed on the track, the removal of plastic panels in favour of ducktape chiefly revealing the new car's wider kidney grille. Thick exterior mouldings however remain plastered to the sides and rear.

Built off the new 3-Series chassis, the car grows in size for the new generation, although these faux panels make it difficult to judge just how much the new Z4 has grown. A softer, less assertive bonnet, which may be designed for greater pedestrian safety, culminates in the wider kidney grille for a more poised front end. It is unclear as to whether the concave door surfaces feature will remain, while camouflage at the rear reveals little, bar the incling that new rear lamps may inherit styling cues from the new 1-Series Coupe or X5. A raised boot lid spoiler appears to stay.

The present car's twin exhausts appear to be re-positioned for the new generation Z4, moving from the left of the car to one either side. BMW's new inline six-cylinder engine used in the new 3-Series is likely to make its way to the new Z4, joining the Z4's present 2.2, 2.5 and 3.2-litre petrol unit line-up.

The Z4 will be produced in BMW's Regensburg plant from the end of 2009. Stay tuned for further spy shots and information.

so is BMW pretty much saying the Z3 was a failure by not going up the # line with the BMW Z-Cars?

They already did that when they decided to call the Z4 "Z4".

my point is that the Z3 turned into the Z4. the next Z4 won't be going up a # like to Z5 or something like that. therefor, my theory is that it didn't keep the Z3 name because it was a failure and the Z4 isn't.

i think my brain is bleeding outta my ears after saying that.

Peugeot 403 was a very successful car and they replaced it with the 404. :rolleyes:

That's a whole different marque, kid.

BMW never replaced a 3-Series with a 4-Series, didnt they?

therefor, my theory is that it didn't keep the Z3 name because it was a failure and the Z4 isn't.

Yeah, we mean the same thing. ;)

I'm just adding - that over here - this is pretty much a known fact since BMW introduced the Z4 instead of a new Z3.

maybe it's just a facelift, before they bring along the z5. and quite a nice one too.

Why are they making it bigger? The current one is perfectly sized.

I was hoping that was the Z8/Z9. :(

I don't think the current Z4 look's dated.

Why are they making it bigger? The current one is perfectly sized.

no it wasn't. it was too small to compete with it's competitors like the 350Z. the 350Z is 9in. longer and 2in. wider than the current Z4.

no it wasn't. it was too small to compete with it's competitors like the 350Z. the 350Z is 9in. longer and 2in. wider than the current Z4.

And that makes the 350Z better in what way?

I love the current Z4 and when I really like a car I usually hate the redesigned version that comes out. This time around though, the new one is even better! :thumbsup: Even though the camo doesn't hide much I can't wait to see it in the buff.

I did like the Z3 coupe. They were the last good looking BMW's, where as the new ones are blindly following "flaming" theme by Mr.Bangle. Z4 coupe looked like it had been heated up to melting point and then slapped to wind tunnel.<_< atleast Z3 coupe looked unique.

uh did i say it was better? no. don't assume things. you fail. miserably.

You said the Z4 was too small to compete with its rivals, like the 350Z for example which is bigger. Thus implying that that extra size gave the 350Z an advantage in some way over the Z4. And then you said you didn't say it was better.

And thus, you fail at integrity.

You said the Z4 was too small to compete with its rivals, like the 350Z for example which is bigger. Thus implying that that extra size gave the 350Z an advantage in some way over the Z4. And then you said you didn't say it was better.

And thus, you fail at integrity.

ok, so you got ALL of that out me saying the Z4 was smaller than the 350Z?

good lord, you REALLY know how to put words in people's mouths.

i NEVER once implied that the 350Z was better. if i did then i would of said.....

"the 350Z is better because it's a much bigger car."

i WAS implying that the Z4 was too small to compete in the same class as the 350Z and the other competitors in that market. it being 9in. shorter than the 350Z put it into the Solstice/Sky/GT range which isn't necessarily what the Z4 M would be in since it has 343hp.

But if it was too small to be in the same class as the 350Z, why did every car magazine compare the two and choose the Z4 3.0 as the winner? (Before you ask, examples I can think of right now are Fifth Gear, Auto Motor und Sport (on several occasions), Auto Bild ).
The 350Z is technically a big car and it is heavy as well, which I don't necessarily see as an advantage.

Doesn't really matter, drove the Z4 a few times and liked it a lot. Never once did I feel it needed to be bigger.