New CA law: Mandatory tire pressure checks at automotive businesses.

You'd be surprised how many people don't check their tire pressure, even so called car fans.

This news will hopefully help rid people of their ignorance. "Driver's education" is a fucking joke in the USA.

They could (and I am sure some places do) but it is supposed to be a test not any form of service.

Even if it's not service, that should be a no brainer. At least to me it is. That's like saying their rear window is too dirty and must be "fixed" before they can pass it. Oh and you don't get your money back, and you have to pay for the test again once the problem has been corrected.

Well it's easy really, you are responsible for the condition of your car, they are not. If you want to drive the car on the road, devote five minutes to checking the tire pressure is correct.

Last edited:
How do they know how much pressure there has to be in the tyre for every possible combination.
I would rather they check the pressure and then tell me how much air is in the tyre and if there is a large difference between left and right tyres.

Make me aware of the problem, don't just change stuff without my consent.
Otherwise dumb ass people will never check their tyres themselves because the mexican at the gas station will do the half-assed job for them.

Also I don't want to buy new valve caps and respray the rims every other month because the tyre attendant can't be bothered to take care.

Your manufacturer have done the math for you so it's just a matter of reading the sticker...

Your manufacturer have done the math for you so it's just a matter of reading the sticker...

Unless you have and SUV or truck that came with P-rated tires and you have installed LT tires. Or you are using different tires than stock, or you have changed your rims.....

So for cars on the dealer lot and people who only put stock tires on their car (tires that are usually softer and run lower PSI to give a comfortable, quiet ride to help sell cars on the lot), this law makes perfect sense.

Meanwhile, in the real world....

Unless you have and SUV or truck that came with P-rated tires and you have installed LT tires. Or you are using different tires than stock, or you have changed your rims.....

So for cars on the dealer lot and people who only put stock tires on their car (tires that are usually softer and run lower PSI to give a comfortable, quiet ride to help sell cars on the lot), this law makes perfect sense.

Meanwhile, in the real world....

Exactly... my Series III was supposed to have about 28 psi in the tires when it was new... but that was when it was equipped with 205/70VR15s on 6.5" wide wheels. Now it sports 255/40ZR17s on 8" wide wheels, and the *minimum* inflation for those is 35. Anything less than about 30-32 will result in bent wheel rims (from potholes) and uneven tire wear.

What do you people advocating this *really* think the idiots would do if I drove it into a California "service station" with 35 psi in the tires and the "pressure monkey" went by the glovebox sticker or a government approved chart?

In addition, the tire placard numbers are for *cold* tires. Hot tires will read differently. Is the CA government going to require that the car be left to cool down (hour or so) so that accurate readings may be obtained?

Last edited:
Exactly... my Series III was supposed to have about 28 psi in the tires when it was new... but that was when it was equipped with 205/70VR15s on 6.5" wide wheels. Now it sports 255/40ZR17s on 8" wide wheels, and the *minimum* inflation for those is 35. Anything less than about 30-32 will result in bent wheel rims (from potholes) and uneven tire wear.

What do you people advocating this *really* think the idiots would do if I drove it into a California "service station" with 35 psi in the tires and the "pressure monkey" went by the glovebox sticker or a government approved chart?

In addition, the tire placard numbers are for *cold* tires. Hot tires will read differently. Is the CA government going to require that the car be left to cool down (hour or so) so that accurate readings may be obtained?
Even more than an hour depending on tires. I've had my tires reading high after seating in about 40F for an hour.

Wow, you guys get worked up over nothing.

The last time I had my cars oil changed they checked the tire pressure as part of the service(I normally do it myself). It is already in the price and shouldn't increase the price in most cases. And if you go to a decent repair facility they will do it too as part of their services and will let you know of a problem. I see tires that are low all of the time, and when you point it out to the driver they never even look at them. So this law is not just about saving gas or emissions, but is about making roads safer.

So the sky isn't falling.

The last time I had my cars oil changed they checked the tire pressure as part of the service(I normally do it myself). It is already in the price and shouldn't increase the price in most cases.
This is all well and good to mandate tire pressure checks for oil changes and whatnot. What we're "getting all worked up about" is if "service station" applies to gas stations, too... meaning some grunt has to check your tire pressure every time you fill up.

And, being that this is California legislature we're talking about, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

This is all well and good to mandate tire pressure checks for oil changes and whatnot. What we're "getting all worked up about" is if "service station" applies to gas stations, too... meaning some grunt has to check your tire pressure every time you fill up.

And, being that this is California legislature we're talking about, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

That's retarded.

I take it you've never lived in California. Gas stations are not service stations.

No one pumps gas but the owner of the car.

This is from an inter-department email I received about the tires; from the government for the government.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Today, the Air Resources Board adopted a
regulation that will require California?s automotive maintenance
industry to check the tire pressure of every vehicle they
service.

Effective July 1, 2010, this rule, one of 44 early action
measures required by AB 32, will annually:
? Eliminate 700,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions;
? Reduce the state?s fuel consumption by 75 million gallons;
and,
? Extend the average tire?s useful life by 4,700 miles.

?Checking tire pressure is one of the many simple things that we
can all do to reduce our impact on the environment,? said ARB
board member Barbara Riordan. ?While we should do this monthly,
this measure makes it convenient and regular.?

The 40,000 service providers subject to the regulation include
smog check stations, engine repair facilities and oil service
providers. Those not included are car wash, body and paint, and
glass repair businesses.

"Under-inflated tires waste fuel, cause tires to wear out
prematurely and increase drivers' safety risk," said Dan
Zielinski, senior vice president with the Rubber Manufacturers
Association, which represents tire manufacturers. "This
regulation will help protect California's environment, help
consumers save money in fuel and tire costs, and help
Californians optimize vehicle safety."

The cost of implementing the regulation balanced with the
benefits from the measures will save the average Californian 12
dollars per year. About 38 percent of vehicles on the road in
California today have severely under inflated tires, six pounds
under manufacturer?s recommendations. As well as seriously
reducing the vehicle?s handling capabilities, under inflation can
cause irreparable damage, reduce tread life and force the engine
to work harder thus increasing the amount of fuel needed.

California is leading the nation in efforts to cut emissions of
gases linked to higher temperatures around the globe. The Global
Warming Solutions Act or AB 32, signed by Governor Schwarzenegger
in 2006, requires the ARB to draft and implement strategies that
will reduce the state?s greenhouse gas contributions. Recently,
the ARB proposed a Low Carbon Fuel Standard, a regulation curbing
greenhouse gas emissions from all of the state?s transportation
fuels.

?This regulation is an example of how the drive to meet AB 32
goals will benefit the state,? Riordan continued. ?Reducing our
environmental footprint will reinvigorate our economy by
establishing California as the lead source of technological
innovation, diversifying our state?s fuel sources, creating jobs
and helping efforts to avert climate change which threatens the
state?s ecosystem.?

The Air Resources Board is a department of the California
Environmental Protection Agency. ARB?s mission is to promote and
protect public health, welfare, and ecological resources through
effective reduction of air pollutants while recognizing and
considering effects on the economy. The ARB oversees all air
pollution control efforts in California to attain and maintain
health based air quality standards.

riker092807.jpg

Jesus people. All they did was take a service performed by every shop now and make it mandatory. It's a law that will not be enforced as the PD's have far more important things to do with their time than deal with a some mechanic who didn't check a customers tire pressure.

Blind, please hurry up and GTFO of my home, you are the exact kind of person I can't stand that lives here. Not from here and constantly bitches about how much it sucks.

Jesus people. All they did was take a service performed by every shop now and make it mandatory. It's a law that will not be enforced as the PD's have far more important things to do with their time than deal with a some mechanic who didn't check a customers tire pressure.

Blind, please hurry up and GTFO of my home, you are the exact kind of person I can't stand that lives here. Not from here and constantly bitches about how much it sucks.

If it's already being performed, then why mandate it? It just causes more red tape and bureaucracy, which costs money.

You know, I wouldn't bitch about California sucking so hard if the residents of this state stopped doing stupid fucking things! Like, say, vote in billions in spending for a high-speed bullet train pipe-dream from San Francisco to LA that has no business plan when the state can't even pay it's bills (ie, tax returns).

Feel-good legislation without a hint of common sense of fiscal responsibility is what sunk this state, and when someone with a bit of sense speaks up against it they practically get crucified for being against the cause DuJour.
"Let's build a multi-million dollar facility for orphaned crippled kittens!"
"Um, I don't think that's the best way to spend our money right now."
"ORPHANED CRIPPLED KITTENS!" :rolleyes:

When you fix your state, then we'll talk. At least I did you the courtesy of living here before I started bitching about it.

Last edited:
You know, I wouldn't bitch about California sucking so hard if the residents of this state stopped doing stupid fucking things!

Yes cause this is going to have such a massive impact on life. You probably would bitch about the law stating that fuel stations must provide free use of their air compressors to those who purchase fuel for the same reason. It's quite nice being able to go to a station and get air when I need it rather than having to hunt all over for A) a station with one and b) one that fucking works.

Of all things to bitch about is this? There has to be some gun law for you to bitch about saying I can't own the weaponry required to take down a small African nation.

When you fix your state, then we'll talk. At least I did you the courtesy of living here before I started bitching about it.

Gee thanks. So instead of just complaining about something that won't have any affect on you from afar, you come here and add 1 more car & a bike to make traffic just that much worse only to bitch about how much it sucks. I know our state legislature sucks, most of us do (and probably why most of the laws are blatantly ignored), we don't need nor care to be reminded every other day by someone who is/was only here temporarily.

Did you give up on reading the British news or just decided to find a new target? I'm sure there are plenty of things to bitch about Utah, why not turn that scrutiny inward a bit 'eh?

This forum seems to have turned into your and Spectre's personal "lets bitch about *.location" forum. Perhaps a renaming of this section is in order? Perhaps a script can be written to detect which state/country you're bitching about at any given moment and name the forum aptly. I think at this point I'd just about be glad to here either of you post something GOOD about anywhere, seems like everything sucks to you, and if it isn't a Jag of a very specific vintage or Texas it's useless.

Last edited:
^:lmao::rofl: who pissed into your cereal? seriously.. time to change your tampax..:lol:

^ Well, all the critical threads do get to you after a while.

Stupid laws are enacted in the UK and California very often, we get it. It's depressing to keep focusing on the asinine ideas people in charge often come up with.

^:lmao::rofl: who pissed into your cereal? seriously..

As you can tell Blind did. I'm just sick if him bitching about... everything anymore. Same goes with Spectre. That's all I seem to run into on this forum anymore is those 2 bitching.

Plus I'm a little irritated as my roll bar got shipped with some of the wrong bits and wasted my weekend.

time to change your playtex..:lol:

FTFY :p

Good idea in theory but it is stupid extending it to places such as petrol stations. Just garages and body shops would cover it. They should also limit the cost ($1 should easily cover it).