new canon 50d or an used 5d?

cl191

Car(s)
lawn mower
Question for all the experts here, I have been using a rebel xt (350d) for awhile mostly shooting landscape and aviation. Now I am thinking about upgrading, but this kind of bugs me...should I get a new 50d or an used 5d? The used 5d only seems to be like $100-200 more than a new 50d.

What lenses do you have? If you've got lots of EF-S lenses, they do not work with the 5D.

I for one would get a used 5D, but please consider that I am very, very weird. :)

I have a 10D, 40D and 5D. I thought of upgrading my 40D and 5D to a 50D and 5D2 but didn't. Dpreview has a rather unflattering review on the 50D and even said that the 40D was a better buy.

Now to answer your question. It really depends on what you want in a camera. If you like the 1.6 focal point crop factor then 50D. If you like the frames per second then the 50D. If you want a full frame experience 5D. If you want superior image quality 5D. If you want the pop-up flash 50D if not 5D.

I'd wait for the 5D2 to get released before buying a 5D

form what i have read... the 40D, despite being the older camera, takes the better pictures. its got better noise control, better dynamic range etc. the new 15MP sensor requires some serious lensage to get the best out of it.

What lenses do you have? If you've got lots of EF-S lenses, they do not work with the 5D.

I for one would get a used 5D, but please consider that I am very, very weird. :)

All my lenses are EF mount, except this Tokina ATX-116 11-16mm that is for 1.6x crop only...oh and I've been known to be very weird too :lol:

I have a 10D, 40D and 5D. I thought of upgrading my 40D and 5D to a 50D and 5D2 but didn't. Dpreview has a rather unflattering review on the 50D and even said that the 40D was a better buy.

Now to answer your question. It really depends on what you want in a camera. If you like the 1.6 focal point crop factor then 50D. If you like the frames per second then the 50D. If you want a full frame experience 5D. If you want superior image quality 5D. If you want the pop-up flash 50D if not 5D.

I'd wait for the 5D2 to get released before buying a 5D

I like the the quality and the full frame of the 5d, but I also really like the Tokina ATX-116 lens that I have, and I have no idea how bad it will vignette or even running into the mirror on a full frame body...

form what i have read... the 40D, despite being the older camera, takes the better pictures. its got better noise control, better dynamic range etc. the new 15MP sensor requires some serious lensage to get the best out of it.

Yea, I read some negative reviews on the 50d too, but I was hoping that the new firmware would fix at least some of the problems...but then may be it's physical problems that firmware can't fix...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the answers everyone, +rep for you guys.

*edit* found on some review site that someone actually mounted the Tokina ATX-116 on a full frame body, but the vignetting will reduce it to a 16mm prime lens....no as bad as I thought it would be. I think I am going to go with the 5d, now just have to wait for the 5dmk2 to come out and watch the boat load of used 5d coming into the shops :D

Last edited:
I think I am going to go with the 5d, now just have to wait for the 5dmk2 to come out and watch the boat load of used 5d coming into the shops :D

I think that's an excellent choice.

I'd definately wait for the 5DII and then buy a used 5D.

Even though the 5D is old tech, the sensor and image quality from that camera is simply superb.

The 5D is superb. It's one of very few cameras that makes my brain go soft. Its file signature is extremely fine.

I hate the signature of the D700/D3 in comparison. They're good at high ISO, but loathsome when it comes to signature.

I ended getting the 5d, found a really good deal on one and I am loving it! I didn't expect it to be this heavy though, may be I will keep the 350d for hiking trips.

The 5D is superb. It's one of very few cameras that makes my brain go soft. Its file signature is extremely fine.

I hate the signature of the D700/D3 in comparison. They're good at high ISO, but loathsome when it comes to signature.

What do you mean "file signature"?

It's a hightly subjective matter and has to do with how the RAW files are in structure and color.

I really loathe the color and structure of the D700, it's hard to put a finger on it, but I do. As for colors, you can correct it all in RAW, but it's just a little bit too much effort when the 5D does the job better for my eyes.

So, it's a highly subjective matter. :)

Well, it's simply individual taste. Every brand have different signatures in terms of color and structure for their sensors. I much prefer Olympus and Canon.

It's in many ways the same as how different types of film give you different grain structure. And I'm not talking about different speed of films, but different types of film.

It's the way the sensor draws the image displayed by the lens.

I dont know if i'm just not enough of a pixel peeper, but it all pretty much looks the same to me. I've seen so many pixel peeping comparions on Dpreview between various cameras and to me, they all look very similiar. At least when they are comparable in resolution. I'm talking base ISO though. High ISO is very different bewteen cameras, at least in jpeg.

But, i dont really look at pictures at 100% and when scaled down for web, i see no difference and i dont really print stuff from other cameras then my own.

50d is shit, it's got megapixels. On the other hand it has a better AF system.
5d is renowned for its great iq and nice low iso performance. Decide what you need, it's a question YOU should answer, not we ;)

Edit: Ah.. I'm not a keen reader. Good on you for getting the 5D, it's well worth it.

TGD, the file structure is more of a funny little thing I like to have a look at. It's not that important. What is important for me is how the sensor interpits the world, ie. how it draws the colors etcetera. And please keep in mind I am not talking about JPEG, I am talking about RAW, be it ORF, CR2 or NEF. :)

As you can pretty much change any color in RAW, it is of course not an impregnable wall of sadness, but it is time consuming, and why would I use more time than I need to use?

I like the D3 for what it's good at, high ISO and DR (the DR at ISO1600 is amazing, if you hadn't noticed, for ISO1600, that is), speed etcetera.

But my heart would weer of in the camera shop and I'd get a refurbished, used 5D mk1.

I'm very weird, if you haven't noticed. ;)

The old 5D is not a sealed body. It's the old chassis and is very slow compared to the 40D and 50D units which are at least partially weather sealed. I was weighing upgrading from my 10D to a 5D earlier this year and bought the 40D instead (the 50D wasn't yet announced). For what it's worth all my lenses are Canon "L" or equiv and I shoot almost exclusively for print magazines. The ONLY reason to buy a 5D is if you do fine art photography and need the full-frame sensor and are willing to settle for an inferior AF and build quality in exchange. If you want to do any sport photography the 50D is the only choice in that equation. The 5D Mk2 on the other hand.... pure photographic sex.

update: oops -- late to the party. Missed that post where you said you picked up the 5d. Doesn't change my opinion, however.

The old 5D is not a sealed body. It's the old chassis and is very slow compared to the 40D and 50D units which are at least partially weather sealed. I was weighing upgrading from my 10D to a 5D earlier this year and bought the 40D instead (the 50D wasn't yet announced). For what it's worth all my lenses are Canon "L" or equiv and I shoot almost exclusively for print magazines. The ONLY reason to buy a 5D is if you do fine art photography and need the full-frame sensor and are willing to settle for an inferior AF and build quality in exchange. If you want to do any sport photography the 50D is the only choice in that equation. The 5D Mk2 on the other hand.... pure photographic sex.

update: oops -- late to the party. Missed that post where you said you picked up the 5d. Doesn't change my opinion, however.

Yea, I shoot landscape mostly, so I have all the time I can get to set up a shot. I supposed it's nice to have a weather sealed body when I am in the middle of no where, but then only 1 of my lenses is an L and it's the non weather sealed 70-200mm f/4, so that's not gonna help me too much.