New car...1984 RX7 GSL-SE

I'm thinking that you should leave it stock- that sharky profile is very cool, plus the new one, I assume, will scrape more, and from what I know of DFW area roads, they were built for SUVs.

:nod:

Not a fan of aftermarket bodykits and low front bumper can be a bitch from personal experience. Actually I find that whole RX pictured to be rather hideous - I'd take yours over that any day.

The body kit ruins the car.

My only reservation on the first gen RX7's styling is the sort of pointy front end. This isn't my favorite airdam (that would be an obscure one made in Japan back in the 80's that command over $1000 now) but I think it does add a bit more aggression to the front of the car and lends a bit more menace to the generally happy demeanor of the stock car. Some more like it:

9575d1147309820-fb-rx-7s-for-drifting-good-or-bad-dsc06304.jpg

Here is the one I'd really like:
31109_426721533522_541003522_5395800_1812514_n.jpg

So hard to find though :/

Really nice car, I would also keep it stock.

In the last video, did the driver from the passing car thought your camera is a speed camera ? :D

I sincerely doubt it. I think they were merely curious as to what it was. Its a very small point/shoot camera, which might look a bit strange mounted on a tripod :p

Really nice car, I would also keep it stock.

In the last video, did the driver from the passing car thought your camera is a speed camera ? :D

No speed cameras on public roads in Texas; they are banned by state law.

Last edited:
New pic of my car (with my buddies NA MX-5) at the Plano Cars & Coffee meet:

DSC_0230.jpg

If you look closely, you can see a 458 Italia and an Aventador near my lowly RX-7 :p

Got my "new" wheels back on, after a long period of hibernation for them. Had them powdercoated grey because the original finish had deteriorated so badly. Overall very happy with the color, despite having some reservations when I first saw them. I think it gives it a very 1970s race car vibe, not entirely sure why.

I've also done a power-steering delete, but kept the PS gearset because it has a quicker ratio. Can't for the life of me imagine why they put PS on these cars, they clearly don't need it. Effort required is barely more than some of the heavier PS systems out there.

I also purchased a racing beat weber side draft intake manifold a few months ago. I'm planning to go with either a weber 45 or 48 DCOE to replace the wacky, performance robbing EFI system. I had thought about using a modified S5 upper intake manifold and running megasquirt, but the weber just looks so much cooler, and throttle response should be telepathic-quick. Also, the noise of a twin choke side draft on a 13b is awesome. Laterally, I'm considering buying an S5 shortblock and street porting it, then putting my intake/carb combo on that. That combo could probably make 180-200whp without too much trouble with the right exhaust system. In my car, that would be a rocket ship, considering it's no slouch with ~140whp.

Finally, I've removed the rear carpet section because it had been exposed to some chemicals (not sure what) that ate through it sadly. I've been contemplating doing something unique for the cargo area. Will update as it goes along.

Last edited:
Some more photos:

03-3.jpg

01-6.jpg

06-5.jpg

Fitment? It does alright:

05-4.jpg

07-2.jpg

04-4.jpg

02-3.jpg

You have such a sharp looking RX7, I just love it. Great pictures man!

UPDATE:

10475_3606228004062_177109643_n.jpg

Installed my Dellorto DHLA 48 Sidedraft carb. Not running yet, this was my first mockup. Also spent a long time cleaning the engine. Looks soooo much better, and much meaner with the Dell. I'm feeling more and more attached to the car now. I can't wait to feel how the carb runs.

135bhp-180bhp.

Next up is an ignition upgrade, lightweight flywheel, and electric fan. I might be closing in on 190-195bhp then. Basically FR-S power in a car that is 300lbs lighter than an FR-S. :)

Attention Miatas: Beware. Muahahah

You can get 200hp out of a NA stock port?

Maybe not 200whp, but approaching 200bhp should be possible. I've seen 190whp on a very mild (basically stock port geometry, just cleaned up) streetport. And that's about 210-220bhp.

With their exhaust and this intake combination, racing beat dynoed an otherwise stock S3 13b at 177hp. My exhaust is a little better than the racing beat system (less restrictive) and I don't have the auxiliary port sleeves in the engine, so there will be less velocity drop through those ports. So I estimate mine would be around 180bhp. A lightweight flywheel and electric fan should reduce losses, so that might free up another 5hp. Ignition upgrades mostly benefit driveability, but I can see a couple extra there too. I've also converted to premix which should allow the fuel to burn a bit better, although any gains there would probably be negligible. To be honest, I'd be more than happy to match RB's claim even with all that extra stuff. I doubt I'll ever dyno it (no real purpose unless I'm trying to dial in the tune a bit better) so I might not ever know. I just want better response and shove from the stock 13b before I try porting.

The Renesis is still a 13b, at least if the little badge on my engine block is to be believed :dunno:

That's a lot of power in a lightweight package.

Id love to put a renny in my car, but they are extremely complex engines. 232hp would feel amazing in a car 700lbs lighter than an RX-8!

Hah, I didn't mean it like that, just wrote down two unrelated thoughts.

1) Renesis makes a lot of power N/A and is 13b based, so 200 bhp out of an older 13b seems reasonable.

2) Your car has a lot of power for its weight and sounds properly fun.

How would an electric fan have less lode on an engine? The engine is still powering it, but through the alternator. Which I would imagine would take away more power from the engine as the mechanical energy must now be turned into electrical energy before again becoming mechanical energy.

How would an electric fan have less lode on an engine? The engine is still powering it, but through the alternator. Which I would imagine would take away more power from the engine as the mechanical energy must now be turned into electrical energy before again becoming mechanical energy.

The idea, I think, is that it is only turned on when needed and only at the rpm needed, instead of being powered by the v-belt and thus running at engine RPM.

I would imagine when using the max horse power the engine will be running as fast as possible. But you have a point that the crank may be running it faster than it needs to be at those speeds.

I like having an electric fan in my MG, but not for performance reasons. I can turn the car off and still have the fan run for a bit until the engine cools.

I'm mainly doing it for increased throttle response. It's essentially like having a flywheel, too much inertia. I'm a response whore. In the same interest, I've also deleted the power steering and am considering deleting the A/C...but it is Texas....

From my experience, during spirited driving, a fan is basically unnecessary. The car is moving quickly enough that the air moving through the radiator cools the coolant enough so that the fan doesn't come on. Whereas a clutch fan is always running, which spoils [to an extent] downshifting and such.

Last edited:
That is a great looking car. In a time where people are too into the FC and FDs, they tend to forget the first gen RX-7s. No dull moments behind the wheel of this thing, I bet?