New car advice

drnick

Car(s)
2014 VW Golf GTI PerfPack
So i'm in the market for a new car to replace my aging Pug, and took a couple of options on my short-list out for a drive today

VW Golf GTI Mk6 (DSG)
Ford Focus XR5 (aka ST)

If any mad-scientist-mechanics out there could slot the XR5's engine into the Golf with its DSG gearbox, i would be greatly appreciative , as that would be my perfect car!

I thought i was torn between the two on paper - even moreso now that i've driven the pair of them. The VW DSG gearbox is fantastic piece of kit, with the gearchanges as smooth as any car 2-3 times the price. But the engine and exhaust note of that 5cyl Ford engine is an joy, whereas the Golf's is rather more subdued.

I guess the fact that i'm getting on in years is making me lean more towards the more comfortable and better-equipped VW. But the fact that the Focus is a darn sight cheaper is what has me really second guessing the whole thing.

And just to throw another spanner in the works, i recently got advised that the Ralliart Lancer is a pretty good option in the same price range, also with a twin-clutch gearbox. And not to mention the Skoda Octavia RS (same engine, gearbox and similar interior to the Golf, albeit slightly heavier and with a small dip in power)

So i'm just posting this to see if there are any fellow petrol-heads our there with any info/opinions/options/advice that would help me come to a decision :D

Cheers,
Nick

Is there any particular reason you're after a DSG? If it were my money, I would never consider an auto in a hot hatch, no matter what sort it is. Just my opinion.

The car I'd choose for myself is the Golf, but with a manual. If I wanted something harder, maybe a Renaultsport Megane. The XR5 is a good compromise between the two. But there is a reason the GTI is so popular, because it is a damn good car.

Last edited:
on the test drive i kind of fell in love with that DSG box :)

I do quite alot of communitng in traffic, and after spending 5 years with the heavy clutch of the Pug, i'm looking to have the option of just chucking in D when i cant be arsed shifting.

Have you tried the DSG? Its not your everyday auto ;-)

How much car do you need? If you occasionally want more space then going with the Octavia may be a good choice. You get more space than a 5-door GTI, yet save $3.3k.
If you don't need that much space, engage moaning about lack of Fabia RSs :lol:

Golf if you want an auto, focus if you want a manual ;)

EDIT: How long are you prepared to wait ? The new Focus ST will be introduced next year and a DSG auto could be an option.

Last edited:
Remember, he's in Australia, the local importers sometimes impose odd restrictions on what they'll order or carry. :dunno:

Remember, he's in Australia, the local importers sometimes impose odd restrictions on what they'll order or carry. :dunno:

Yup, my prices are based on Skoda/VW Australia. Hence the moaning about the lack of Fabia RSs :cry:

Golf if you want an auto, focus if you want a manual ;)

EDIT: How long are you prepared to wait ? The new Focus ST will be introduced next year and a DSG auto could be an option.

Yea im not sure how long i want to wait... i've got the new car bug and the 306 is starting to get to the point where i'm spending too much to keep it running.

If i were to wait, it might be for this, which is due for delivery here in Jan-Feb according to the VW dealer i spoke to. I may be willing to break my "no 3-doors" rule for that ;)

Golf R ?

Dodge viper?

Dodge viper?

may be a teeny bit out of my price range ;)

Stevan: same with the Golf R. I was toying with the idea of a second hand Mk5 R32, but theyre holding their value pretty well, and if i could get a brand new car for a similar price, that would be the better choice i think.

may be a teeny bit out of my price range ;)

Stevan: same with the Golf R. I was toying with the idea of a second hand Mk5 R32, but theyre holding their value pretty well, and if i could get a brand new car for a similar price, that would be the better choice i think.

In that case i'd go XR5. I'm very tempted by them myself. ;)

I was toying with the idea of a second hand Mk5 R32, but theyre holding their value pretty well, and if i could get a brand new car for a similar price, that would be the better choice i think.

Why? A new car doesn't hold its value very well.

Buying a Mk5 R32, you get a more interesting engine. And a car that holds its value quite well...

The value holding means a used R32 is rather expensive to buy, a new GTI would be similar.

While a VR engine certainly is interesting, you'll pay for that interestingness at the pump. The TSI in the Mk6 GTI is much more frugal.

Is there any particular reason you're after a DSG? If it were my money, I would never consider an auto in a hot hatch, no matter what sort it is. Just my opinion.

DSG is hardly a traditional auto. It's all the performance of a manual (more so infact) along with the exact same amount of control (shifting when you want) and none of the slushbox of an automatic.

If DSG had been the standard and someone invented the traditional manual transmission today, everyone would laugh at the inventor.

DSG is hardly a traditional auto. It's all the performance of a manual (more so infact) along with the exact same amount of control (shifting when you want) and none of the slushbox of an automatic.

If DSG had been the standard and someone invented the traditional manual transmission today, everyone would laugh at the inventor.

It's not the exact same amount of control because you don't have a clutch