New car threads MUST HAVE PROOF OF OWNERSHIP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the criticism of the rule, but I think it is mostly to keep trolls away, and I think it works. :dunno:

Don't like the rule? Don't post your car. Simple as that.

Some people take this internet business too seriously...I did say it was just an honest opinion, so people can climb back down off their soap-boxes now.

The above post is essentially what I'm getting at. I won't be posting pictures of my car in future, and I don't expect anybody in the slightest to care about that. When I take photos of my car, I don't take them with posting them specifically on here in mind. If I want to share the images, then generally I'll post them on my car club first, then copy and paste it onto other sites where I think they might generate interest. You say it's laziness, I just don't see the point.

I was arguing that common sense and tact might make more sense here than a slip of paper that doesn't actually prove anything other than contact with the car. I work with Typhoon aircraft all day, but writing a username on a piece of paper doesn't make them mine.

Blatantly, nobody is interested in questioning the rule so I won't bring it up again. Surprising really that the owner who brought in the rule enforces it in the least Nazi-ish way.

then generally I'll post them on my car club first, then copy and paste it onto other sites where I think they might generate interest.

See, this here is our "car club". And clubs have rules.. thats how it worked when we were in primary school, thats how it works in the aduld world.

Some people take this internet business too seriously...I did say it was just an honest opinion, so people can climb back down off their soap-boxes now.

The above post is essentially what I'm getting at. I won't be posting pictures of my car in future, and I don't expect anybody in the slightest to care about that. When I take photos of my car, I don't take them with posting them specifically on here in mind. If I want to share the images, then generally I'll post them on my car club first, then copy and paste it onto other sites where I think they might generate interest. You say it's laziness, I just don't see the point.

I was arguing that common sense and tact might make more sense here than a slip of paper that doesn't actually prove anything other than contact with the car. I work with Typhoon aircraft all day, but writing a username on a piece of paper doesn't make them mine.

Blatantly, nobody is interested in questioning the rule so I won't bring it up again. Surprising really that the owner who brought in the rule enforces it in the least Nazi-ish way.

Website master is not the person to be angry at, be angry at the idiots who posted stuff that caused the rule to me made in the first place.

Which actually applies towards most of real life, any time you see a ridiculous rule, regulation or law passed its usually not because whoever created it one day decided to be a dick, but because an idiot or several idiots abused and this ruined something convinient for everyone else.

If you want to take your anger out, then take it out on those ppl.

I'm not angry with anyone, or wasn't until people responded as if I'd done the greatest wrong the internet has ever seen by daring to question a rule that doesn't exist anywhere else.

I appreciate rules are rules, and without quoting my original post I don't know just how clear I can make my position on the topic. My thread was locked, that's fine. I can't post in there until I provide a "proof" pic, that's fine. I get it. You don't care whether I own the car or not, and I don't care enough that I'm going to go out and shoot a proof pic...which is essentially what I'm getting at. If some guy tells me he owns a Fiat Panda, but can't tell me anything about it, then I'd figure he was making it up, regardless of whether he had a picture telling me otherwise. Contrastingly, if someone claimed to have a Murcielago and could tell me anything realistic, then I'd take the guy at face value whether he owned the car in reality or not.

My point is that you're scaring away potential members, and the "them and us" mentality shown even in the last few posts is adding to that. I'm one of your members, have been for years. My opinion should count for something, whether people agree with it or not. If the rule is so justifiable, then that's fine, but gathering around like school kids to point the finger at the outsider who doesnt like a rule is laughable and certainly makes me wonder whether to bother logging in here or not in future. Not because of a rule or a thread that was locked, but is it worth the effort of arguing with people over something that I'm not even that arsed about? Probably not.

I guess I'll stick to the photography section as always, and leave you kids to fight the noobs in here. Have fun.

I love how, when someone disagrees, and then someone disagrees with them, they play victim and find ways to rationalize their opinion as the superior mindset, even when the majority clearly thinks otherwise.

It has nothing to do with "us" vs "them." It has everything to do with the community getting tired of people, on a car forum, lying about the car they have. And I agree 100% that it could still easily be faked. Just like a lock on a screen door can easily be circumvented...however, it's there as a base-layer deterrant, nothing more. If you can't be bothered to offer SOME semblance of proof that you own what you say you own, then this part of the community doesn't mean as much to you. That is 100% A-OK. Not everyone had to be passionate about every section of this forum. I don't like beer, so I don't spend much time in that thread. Same with the Nekkid Man thead. That said, you have to understand that for the peope who are passionate, they could care less that you don't want to be a part of it by following their rule.

Their rule, which by the way, does exist elsewhere. It's just that, for most other communities, it goes something like: "pics, or it didn't happen."

I love how, when someone disagrees, and then someone disagrees with them, they play victim and find ways to rationalize their opinion as the superior mindset, even when the majority clearly thinks otherwise.

It has nothing to do with "us" vs "them." It has everything to do with the community getting tired of people, on a car forum, lying about the car they have.

Like I said, if there's a justifiable reason that the rule is in place, and the majority are happy, then no further questioms. I just resent being talked at like an asshole because I dont agree with something, it has nothing to do with playing the victim or holding a superior mindset. I tried making my original post as politely as possible with the exact reason of not wanting to provoke the nerd fraternity into online action.

The rest of your post makes it relatively clear why the rule exists, and it's a good enough explanation that I wont raise the issue again, although my viewpoint on it remains the same.

So are you describing yourself in the first sentence? You seem to be the one getting his panties in a twist over this.

For someone claiming to don?t bother sticking a piece of paper in the gearshift just to be able to post pictures of your car, you sure are making an effort in discussing it.

Last edited:
For someone claiming that sticking a piece of paper in the gearshift just to be able to post pictures of your car you sure are making an effort in discussing it.

THATS what was going through my mind for a while now.. :D The northern argentinian is right.. again.. :D

You do know called someone from my state "Argentinian" is a big insult, don?t you? :lol:

Also, my sentence made no sense until I edit it. :p

I don't know what all the fuss is about, I'm more than happy to show off my knob on camera.

DSC_0101_1_S.jpg

Maybe he has a push-button automatic and is afraid he'll be ridiculed. :dunno:

Or even worse, a hybrid. :p

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd weigh in here.

While of course I make the final decisions around here, I do care and listen to feedback so don't be afraid to speak your mind and argue for a rule change.

However in this case the rule is here to stay. You have to remember that the rule didn't come out of thin air. It's not like one day we decided to force everyone to go to the (small) hassle of providing proof. It came about because too many morons would start a thread and only later would we find out they were full of shit. "Who cares?" you may say, but it's annoying, disrespectful, and it feels like a betrayal to anyone who took the time to reply to the thread. We simply don't like trolls.

This rule is a good balance between proof (impossible to photoshop) and not causing lots of hassle (it takes 30 seconds to write your username on a piece of paper and cut a hole in it, we're not asking for you to make a video or something). A tiny bit of extra work from you and no disappointed members of the community.

Still don't like the rule? Okay, well sorry then. Don't post your car I guess. :)

Last edited:
Maybe he has a push-button automatic and is afraid he'll be ridiculed. :dunno:

Massive portions of the population here would geek out over that. A column shifter, on the other hand, is pretty lame.

Also, when did we get the bitchin' check icons?

Status
Not open for further replies.