New cars with tiny rear brake lights

Pedrocas

9gag reposting troll
Car(s)
Citroen ZX 1.4i Tonic
Is it just me or are new cars coming out with tiny rear brake lights, almost to the point the driver behind doesn't notice them?

The other night I was driving behind a 2014 Nissan Qashqai and only noticed the rear brake lights when the third stop flashed. The other two rear brake lights are so tiny the presence lights surpass them in terms of illumination.

The same happens with the 2014 Peugeot 308 Station rear brake lights. Big presence leds and tiny brake lights.

What's going on?

nissan-qashqai-2014-11.jpg

Peugeot-308-rear-light.jpg

Seeing a few of those in the wild, the LEDs used are REALLY bright and are most of the time more noticeable than big light clusters with dim halogens inside them.

What I dislike are the llights that are very directional. Like how they are blinding when you at right behind it, but barely visible as you start coming around the side.

^^ I think that's an important point but more than that, I think that these are better because they are easier to differentiate from the taillights not under breaking.

I think car manufacturers should make a bit more of an effort to differentiate brake lights from normal tail lights, like a full width 3rd light or something along those lines.

Front ones can be hard to spot when they are small and next to headlights or DRL. I can't remember what car made me notice this issue...

Front ones can be hard to spot when they are small and next to headlights or DRL. I can't remember what car made me notice this issue...

Probably BMW, they still don't dim the DRLs when the indicator's flashing.

The high series 2015 F150 has light pipes in back. They're really visible from the side, but from the back its just 2 tiny dots. Not sure how that passed any sign-offs.

Especially at night and from a distance, they're pretty bad.

So what's the point of those two squares?

The high series 2015 F150 has light pipes in back. They're really visible from the side, but from the back its just 2 tiny dots....Especially at night and from a distance, they're pretty bad.

Great, so when they're inevitably murdered and brodozered they'll be really annoying to be behind. <_<

Nobody Bro-Dozers an F-150. Too small. Not enough peen.
Not true, at least around here. If it's a newer truck, it gets lifted up and stupid black wheels slapped on in place of the stock wheels. Oh, and for good measure they replace for stock headlights and tail lights with crap they bought on eBay. Don't forget the tow mirrors in the extended position as well!

So what's the point of those two squares?

I think the top one is the turn signal, and the bottom one is mostly the radar transmitters for blind spot monitoring and active parking. It couldn't be mounted in the body or bumpers like it is conventionally due to the overall shape of the truck, so the engineers fitted it in the light clusters.

Not true, at least around here. If it's a newer truck, it gets lifted up and stupid black wheels slapped on in place of the stock wheels. Oh, and for good measure they replace for stock headlights and tail lights with crap they bought on eBay. Don't forget the tow mirrors in the extended position as well!

I can't wait until one of those morons swaps out the taillights for a set of cheap LED encrusted monstrosities on eBay and then goes to complain to the dealer how BLIS doesn't work anymore.

Also, another thought just occurred. Even those mouth-breathers don't replace the clusters, but just lift the trucks, that'll have a huge affect on the effectiveness of the radar systems. Seeing as how I'm sure most of the brodozer crowd will immediately put all their faith in the electronic toys they paid for, there will be a lot more blind-spot related accidents where the BLIS indicators don't go off because they're just too high to detect the car next to them.

I'd also be interested to see how auto-park assist deals with a lift or altered wheel sizes since that will undoubtedly mess with the systems wheels speed and angle calculations.

Last edited:
I think car manufacturers should make a bit more of an effort to differentiate brake lights from normal tail lights, like a full width 3rd light or something along those lines.

bentley-continental-supersports-rear.jpg

Close enough.

Close enough.

What about those with full width taillights then?

PSYr4pNl.jpg

w2UbQQul.png

NJZObk1l.png

:p