New Celebrity?

DanteSS3

I don't know if this is just a typo or foolhardy by the Top Gear Magazine lot, but in the back section with all the stats on cars and what not, there is a new entry for a Chevrolet Cruze (P172):
"The replacement for the 'reasonably priced car'...."

What do you think?
Car does look pretty nice, but the pic is only small.

Well the board is getting filled up on the other car so they probably need one.

I had a look last night and understand it. It is simply saying that the Cruze is the car which is replacing the Lacetti in the Chevrolet line up, and it is replacing the 'reasonably priced car' in the sense that it is the new one to buy.

I could be wrong and they have actually got a new one, but I doubt that.

I had a look last night and understand it. It is simply saying that the Cruze is the car which is replacing the Lacetti in the Chevrolet line up, and it is replacing the 'reasonably priced car' in the sense that it is the new one to buy.

I could be wrong and they have actually got a new one, but I doubt that.

I don't know, the Liana was around for 7 series right? The Lacetti has been around for for 8-12 so thats been a while. Not quite as long as the Liana obviously but a new one wouldn't shock me, though I hope they don't because when they replaced the Liana the segment was pretty boring for all of that series, with so few names on the leader board.

Yeah; the Liana was the RPC was for the first seven series (2002-05); and it was retained for the F1 guests. The Lacetti (2006-present) has yet to match it. Personally, I think they should keep the Lacetti for these next two seasons, then introduce a new RPC next year (Series 15).

Well also keep in mind they were running two stars at a time for a while there. The only real reason I see is if the Lacetti is being cut from manufacturing it will slowly become more difficult to get the vast amount of parts they seem to go through.

Here's the break-down of how many people drove a lap:

Series 1: 9
Series 2: 10
Series 3: 9
Series 4: 10
Series 5: 11 (including the blind man)
Series 6: 10
Series 7: 6

That's 65.

Series 8: 15 (7 on the first episode)
Series 9: 5
Series 10: 10
Series 11: 11
Series 12: 7

That's 48.

Assuming they have 14 guests this year, they still wouldn't have sent as many people around in the Lacetti as in the Liana.

A little more than 65 drove the Liana, actually. Remember it was retained for F1 guests.

* Stig gave it a send-off lap in 8x02.
* Jenson Button in 8x08.
* Lewis Hamilton in 10x08.

Also...
* The S1 total for the Liana is ten. (Jeremy also took it around the track, to get a time on the SIARPC board. I'm not sure if this aired or not, but I'm noting it nonetheless.)
* The S6 total for the Liana is twelve. (In 6x10, F1 driver Mark Webber took it for a lap as well as Davina McCall; the SIARPC segment for 6x06 (Question Time's David Dimbleby) was not aired in the US or Canada).
* The S10 total for the Lacetti is nine (see note on Lewis Hamilton above).

Overall...

Suzuki Liana
S1: 10 (incl. Jeremy)
S2: 10
S3: 9
S4: 10
S5: 11 (incl. Blind Man)
S6: 12
S7: 6
S8: 2
S10: 1
TOTAL: 71

Chevrolet Lacetti
S8: 15
S9: 5
S10: 9
S11: 11
S12: 7
TOTAL: 47

I think they mean the Cruze replaces the Lacetti in the Chevrolet/Daewoo lineup. Check this out:

Cruze replaces two unrelated cars?the Chevrolet Cobalt and Daewoo Lacetti.
(Wikipedia) Chevrolet Cruze

A little more than 65 drove the Liana, actually. Remember it was retained for F1 guests.

A fair point.

But what exactly are we counting, anyways? The number of people on the board? because none of the F1 people went on the SIARPC board, nor did the Stig.

If we count laps that have gone on the board, Wikipedia says it's 67 for the old car and 46 for the new one -- i.e. either we're both wrong or Wikipedia is wrong. :)

I'm taking into account how many have driven each car as of the end of S12 and have posted a time on either the celeb board or the F1 board. To date, 71 have driven the Liana (yes, 65 if you don't count the F1 drivers or Stig), 46* in the Lacetti. Presuming there is one SIARPC every episode in the next two series, and none of those guests are F1 drivers, and also presuming there isn't a road trip special (a la the US fly-drive (9x03), Botswana or Vietnam) which would preempt the segment entirely, the total number of drivers for the Lacetti, after Series 14, will be 60--just five shy of the Liana's final total, discounting the F1 drivers and Stig. (Taking F1+Stig into account, the total would be eleven shy, of course.)

* I miscounted the total in the Lacetti for S8. It's fourteen (seven in 8x01 to get the new board started; the other seven in each of the following episodes, obviously not counting Jenson Button (F1 board, Liana)), not fifteen.

they should do another asian/reasonably priced car challenge to find the replacement (like that did with Lacetti), doesn't necessarily have to be a Chevrolet..

One point - Budget cuts, can they afford a new one, no matter how reasonably priced it is?
How old does a car have to be for them to clam the scrap allowance ?
Even if that one is too new i bet they have one in there scrap heap that they can use to get the ?2000:lol:

Even if that one is too new i bet they have one in there scrap heap that they can use to get the ?2000:lol:

Oh now THAT is excellent. They really seem to stockpile ALL the cheap cars they buy. They could have a considerable amount of cash if they turned them all in. Somehow, I don't think that's quite what the government had in mind with the program, but if they can find it legal, there are numerous plots pending. "Can TG use the scrap allowance to raise enough money for an Italian supercar?" The possibilities are endless.

It has to be 10 years old and you have to use it right away - one car at a time

Last edited:
^ Plus you have to have to have owned the car for 12 months, it must be MOT'd and it must be 'a small car or van up to 3500kg'. So that rules out the vans and the boats... :lol: And the government only give you ?1k - the other ?1k is given by the manufacturers...

Last edited:
If anything, they'd get a completely different brand of car to keep it fresh.