New chopped top Boxster Spyder

Kimo_SpeedSix

Car(s)
07' Mazda NC MX-5, 05' Honda Jazz GD CVT
We thought it was going to be the Porsche Boxster Speedster when we reported that Porsche were out testing a disguised Boxster at the Nurburgring back in September. Or maybe it was going to be the Boxster R. But it?s actually called the Porsche Boxster Spyder.

It?s going to end up being known as the Speedster, with its double humps behind the driver, but this is Porsche?s new, lightweight Boxster suitably sprinkled with a bit of ?history dust? from the cupboard. It?s actually 80kg (175lbs) lighter that the Boxster S on which its based and it gets an extra 10bhp ? up to 316bhp ? from the 3.4 litre flat six engine. Which should mean a decent improvement in the 0-60mph ? around 4.6 seconds. Porsche has also sharpened up the suspension to give the Spyder an edge over its siblings.

The Boxster Spyder does come with a roof, but it?s a token roof ? much in the mould of the LP640. This car is designed to be an open-air car and the roof seems almost an afterthought. What?s the point of having the Spyder and driving round in an enclosed cabin? But this isn?t a limited edition Boxster just to move some sales, it?s a new model in the range.

The Boxster Spyder is due to be unveiled at the Los Angeles Motor Show next month (California will be a big marketplace, no doubt) before going on sale early in 2010. Expect a UK price around ?45,000.

source: www.carsuk.net

Boxster%20Spyder%20-02.jpg

Porche%20Boxster%20Spyder%20-04.jpg

http://img.motorpasion.com/galleries/porche-boxter-spyder/Porche Boxster Spyder-01.jpg

Porche%20Boxster%20Spyder-06.jpg

Porsche-550-spyder.jpg

Last edited:
Even I as a Porsche fan laughs at the idea of this. What's next? Boxster coupe?

Well, the links are broken and this picture is of an old 356 (I think) so can you please fix it so we can pass judgement on it?

Personally I think it looks absolutely gorgeous. I really love the back, much better than the standard Boxster.

Anyone else getting more than a whiff of carerra GT?

I think it looks pretty nice, especially with the steeply sloped convertible top.

That looks amazing! I rear is very much looking like a CGT. I'm thoroughly impressed, and I have never liked the boxster.

I kinda hoped that with that room at the back they'd be able to fit a bigger engine or at least make it significantly better.

To be a nitpicking negative nancy: Those be some ugly ass taillights.

I do like the whole back to basics thing though, especially the pull strap door handles.

Windshield could be a bit lower, but I think it looks good.

Looks almost like a supercar! Me like.

I'm not a Porsche fan and I think that looks great, apart from the roof which looks like a wheelie bin lin stuck on the top. Am I the only one who thinks that would look even better with a hard top?