New computer build

I wasn't going to setup any RAID at all, just have two separate HD's.

in that case, you might want to get an SSD for main OS and a Tb or even 2Tb drive for storage.

in that case, you might want to get an SSD for main OS and a Tb or even 2Tb drive for storage.

Indeed, many people overlook the HDD when building their system and it becomes the bottleneck. And you can get a decent 150GB Velociraptor for cheap(ish) nowadays.

Personally, I feel SLi/Crossfire is overrated, can get buggy (although getting better with newer drivers), and of course a huge waste of money for the benefit you get in return (not to mention the heat issues).

But I suppose if you have the cash to burn for it...

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/20/PBDesk2.jpg

As you can see I don't really have the space for a normal mouse, besides I've used this kind of MS mouse for about 9 years now, this is the second one I've owned. I wish MS still produced it, if so I'd buy a bunch of them and just keep them in cold storage.

I personally would move the case below the table - out of the way
Or even turn it 90 degrees and sit it behind the monitor

Looks like you have a bit of room to play with.....unlike me :(

I personally would move the case below the table - out of the way
Or even turn it 90 degrees and sit it behind the monitor

Looks like you have a bit of room to play with.....unlike me :(

but then he woul'd use it as a stand for his metal figurine :D

PB remember me from irc with my "limited space" :)

yours Galantti

That's not metal, it's plastic, and it's the queen from Aliens.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/20/PBDesk5.jpg

I'd also like to point out that the conan sword was a gift from my aunt.

with the price of ssd slowly dropping and capacity being bigger bigger. I would go more for a ssd. The sdd will be much more faster for the os and apps, and you get a big hd for storing the rest.

I never intended to get a solid state drive. They still cost too much in my opinion.

I never intended to get a solid state drive. They still cost too much in my opinion.

not really, all you need is a 30gb SSD drive for OS.

They are around $140, best performance upgrade you will ever get, much more than SLI can offer.

Coming from a system over three years old, this new build will be much faster. Moaning about RAID or SSD is kind of pointless. When I went from the Athlon 64 X2 to my current E8500, the difference was astonishing. The A64 X2 would choke on Vista and the E8500 handles it flawlessly.

Regardless of the HDD choice, the performance difference for him will be massive.

Same keyboard! :D

not really, all you need is a 30gb SSD drive for OS.

They are around $140, best performance upgrade you will ever get, much more than SLI can offer.

hmm 30gb for windows :O your feeling lucky.

isn't normal x64 7 install 20Gb + 1,5xmemory to pagefile = nearly 30Gb allready :p

hmm 30gb for windows :O your feeling lucky.

isn't normal x64 7 install 20Gb + 1,5xmemory to pagefile = nearly 30Gb allready :p

nope

im running win7 x64, with a shit loads of programmes installed and i still have 8gb of free space.

nope

im running win7 x64, with a shit loads of programmes installed and i still have 8gb of free space.

thats why i said "nearly" as pagefile doens't use the space, but want's it there.

Hang on, 6GB. Do you intend on getting Windows 64 bit? Cos otherwise from what I understand Windows will only recognize 4GB

I said in the very first post that I'm getting the 64 bit version of Windows 7, and an x86 OS will only recognize and use 3.5 gigs of ram.

My computer built, (i7 920, GTX 260 Superclocked, 6GB memory) scores a 5.9 on the "Windows Experience" score, but the hard drive is what is causing the lower score...all of the other scores are 7.2 or higher, but the Hard drive only scores a 5.9. It's a WD Black 1TB.

^ My score as well, because of the hard drive. I think you need RAID, or Raptor, or SSD to get higher.

Newegg has shipped most of my parts, now if amazon would just get restocked and send my video card out.

My computer built, (i7 920, GTX 260 Superclocked, 6GB memory) scores a 5.9 on the "Windows Experience" score, but the hard drive is what is causing the lower score...all of the other scores are 7.2 or higher, but the Hard drive only scores a 5.9. It's a WD Black 1TB.

Yep, same here. Core i7 860, Radeon HD5850, 8GB: CPU and Memory 7.5, graphics both 7.7, hard drive 5.9... Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB in my case.

puff my laptop had 5.9 as a hd score :p

Full: cpu= 4.8; Memory= 5,9; gpu= 3,6; gaming gpu= 5,1; hd= 5,9

why does it consider aero as 3,6 and "gaming" 5,1? :eek: