New daily driver: 2018 edition

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Subarus and shit
So the BRZ is coming up on its payoff date, and, incidentally, it's expiration as a useful daily driver (everything is worn the hell out and it makes no sense to replace with OE parts when I could replace with performance parts). It'll get hot-rodded and die a Viking's death as a track weapon.

Meanwhile, I have my commute.
180 miles per day.
41,000 miles per year.

In practice I spread that around other vehicles, too, but we'll pretend we don't.

I want a daily driver to last about 5 years - 205,000 miles - and to spend no more than $35k on it over those 5 years (counting hard parts, but not counting fluids and tires and brakes)
I also have enough garage projects, so maintenance effort (or at least maintenance time) should be minimized.

30 MPG EPA Highway is plenty.

I could go down to the dealer and buy a new Camcordaru all day long, but that's booooriiiiiiing.

I don't really want another 2+2. Earlier, I was really hot on a ecoboost Mustang, but meh. I'm over it. I think.
I don't need cubic cargo capacity. I have vehicles for that.
I don't need AWD, I have snow tires for that.
I think I might want something comfortable?

Incidentally, this need not be a single vehicle. If "$35k will buy enough Corvairs to cover 205,000 miles" is a valid solution, awesome. Well, except for the Corvair part.

So, champions of out-of-the-box automotive thinking, what's the world out there?

Challenger V6. It's fast enough, powerful enough and it does 30MPG highway.

EDIT: Focus ST for similar reasons.

Last edited:
Small vans, like the Nissan NV2000/Chevrolet City (WTF is that thing called?), Ford Transit Connect and Ram Whatever. Might struggle with the 30 mpg though and it's a cargo capacity vehicle...

I got it! 2018 Honda Accord Sport. 2.0 Turbo, row your own. Should get at least 30 mpg and will go at least 200k.

Or, just for fun, buy a $500 beater every week. That's only $2600 a year and you'll have a hell of a start on your own salvage yard.

I hear the new Accord is supposed to have that "sporty feel" in a comfy car. I doubt it, but it will be reliable and comfy.

New daily driver: 2018 edition

VW Jetta? Two of our salesmen have them and drive 30,000+ miles a year in them. One?s had one for two years and the other guy has had his for a year. Only complaint is that there seems to be little UV protection on the front windshield which causes your thighs to get hot in direct sun light. So far, nothing major for repairs, just regular PM.

I?d suggest Charger or Challenger but, in my mind V6 does not exist for those cars and you want 30MPG.

Mazda 6?

Last edited:
Challenger V6. It's fast enough, powerful enough and it does 30MPG highway.

This or a Charger. More comfort, more space, and faster than your BR-Z. :) I had a heavy foot with my Charger with the 3.6L and I still managed to get reasonable fuel economy. On the highway the 8spd trans was awesome keeping me low RPM and sipping fuel @ 35MPG+ on the higyhway going about ~70mph. Some dealers will offer a lifetime power train warranty you should consider getting.

For shits and giggles however I recommend getting an R/T with the 5.7L instead of the 3.6L. Reason? I get well over 30MPG on the highway in my 2016 Charger R/T and I believe the 5.7L is much more reliable than the 3.6L. Recorded the below video for someone on a Charger forum asking about my MPG you can use for consumption.

*edit*
Oh and now with just over 11k miles my average MPG is way higher than in that video. I average 18-22MPG with 60/40 city/highway with a light foot.

Last edited:
I don't really want another 2+2. Earlier, I was really hot on a ecoboost Mustang, but meh. I'm over it. I think.

Mustang GT

Hyundai Genesis? Comfy, grunty, reliable, solid warranty AFAIK.

Mustang GT
I'm sitting here staring at the Ford website trying to figure out how the 4cyl turbo and V8 have the same fuel economy figures. That CAN'T be right.

That said, if I'm going to go V8 American Sportscar, I need to go actually V8 American Sportscar. Which makes things... Kind of expensive. $50k off the configurator.

Last edited:
What about a Fusion sport?

Hyundai Genesis? Comfy, grunty, reliable, solid warranty AFAIK.

... Uh. Apparently they're pretending to be ultra-exclusive now? There isn't a cash price on the website AT ALL. Just a lease rate and "FILL OUT FORM FOR A QUOTE LOL"