New daily driver: 2018 edition

I'm sitting here staring at the Ford website trying to figure out how the 4cyl turbo and V8 have the same fuel economy figures. That CAN'T be right.

Euro figures claim 8 for the 4-pot manual fastback, 13.5 if you add the second bank. Spritmonitor roughly backs that up, 9.6 for the 4-pot manual, 13.3 for the V8 manual - both convertibles and fastbacks mixed together, but won't make that much of a difference.

In 'Murican that's 29.4, 17.4, 24.5, 17.7.

Last edited:
What about a Fusion sport?

Can't do that, that's the car I recommend to coworkers with families. Would be butt turrible for my street cred.

- - - Updated - - -

Challenger V6. It's fast enough, powerful enough and it does 30MPG highway.

EDIT: Focus ST for similar reasons.

I had a Challenger as a rental once, was an amusing barge, even in V6 form.

FoST is probably out because I already know somebody with one in black, which is the only non-lame color choice they have, and I can't show up wearing the same dress.

So I take it the Charger is out then too?

I got it! 2018 Honda Accord Sport. 2.0 Turbo, row your own. Should get at least 30 mpg and will go at least 200k.
Oh my god. Why are all the colors so German?

I dunno man. It's sensible, but that front end styling is... Horrifying.

- - - Updated - - -

So I take it the Charger is out then too?

Eh, the Dodges are out only because you can't get a manual with the V6.

Which seems like a contradiction because the Caprice PPV is on the the list, but that has a big nasty V8 that has the running costs of a 4pot because ethanol.

I'm sitting here staring at the Ford website trying to figure out how the 4cyl turbo and V8 have the same fuel economy figures. That CAN'T be right.

That said, if I'm going to go V8 American Sportscar, I need to go actually V8 American Sportscar. Which makes things... Kind of expensive. $50k off the configurator.

What do you mean? Don't the Gt start at around 37k?

Can't do that, that's the car I recommend to coworkers with families. Would be butt turrible for my street cred.

- - - Updated - - -

FoST is probably out because I already know somebody with one in black, which is the only non-lame color choice they have, and I can't show up wearing the same dress.

Both stupid reasons not to buy a car.

Put Ricks SHO drivetrain in it.

Oh my god. Why are all the colors so German?

I dunno man. It's sensible, but that front end styling is... Horrifying.

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, the Dodges are out only because you can't get a manual with the V6.

Which seems like a contradiction because the Caprice PPV is on the the list, but that has a big nasty V8 that has the running costs of a 4pot because ethanol.

Why the Caprice? Used Commodores are not that bad.

That is an American V8 in there.

Shhhh. Don?t ruin the magic.

One would think it would be out because automatic transmission.

But big stupid Aussie V8 with low running costs is tough to ignore.

Mine has a wobbly stick in the center console and some drunk as far as I know has never thrown up in the back seat, used 15s are going for mid 30s if you do not care about color.

The biggest drivetrain difference between the caprice and the SS is the engine the Caprice got the 6.0 and the SS got the 6.2.

There are a few on the SS forums that updated some of the bits on the car to take some of the police vibe away.

This is one of the more extreme examples

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/other/119921-2013-caprice-w-14k-one-owner-non-fleet-car-sold88.html

That is an American V8 in there.
And Australians are just foul mouthed Englishmen.

Did they ever have a domestic V8?

- - - Updated - - -

Mine has a wobbly stick in the center console and some drunk as far as I know has never thrown up in the back seat, used 15s are going for mid 30s if you do not care about color.

The biggest drivetrain difference between the caprice and the SS is the engine the Caprice got the 6.0 and the SS got the 6.2.

There are a few on the SS forums that updated some of the bits on the car to take some of the police vibe away.

This is one of the more extreme examples

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/other/119921-2013-caprice-w-14k-one-owner-non-fleet-car-sold88.html

I suspect I'd have to overnight some Holden bodywork from Japan to cover the indignity of driving a Chevy, but yeah. They never really caught on around here as an obvious cop car because nobody uses the things.

How much do used SS's run these days?

Cheapest I have found was $29k. And that?s for a 2014 with 60-70,000 miles.

Cheapest I have found was $29k. And that?s for a 2014 with 60-70,000 miles.

Which is literally why I bought a brand new Charger R/T for $28k. Too many miles for that price on the SS. And I'd have to import Holden bits to liven it up to make it look less like a Malibu. :)

They had Lucas fuel injection. No wonder they longer produce it.