New DB9, no more Virage

SpitfireMK461

Car(s)
2013 Mini Cooper S
2013 welcomes a refreshed and updated DB9 (finally!) which will axe the Virage.

Aston Martin vanquishes Virage, unveils 2013 DB9
As had been speculated, the brief run of the Aston Martin Virage is over with the arrival of the 2013 Aston Martin DB9, shown above. You'll recall that the Virage was introduced as a bridge between the previous DB9 and the now-defunct DBS.

Coupled with the arrival of the new range-topping Vanquish, the '13 DB9 eliminates the middle man, so to speak, merging the Virage's styling elements (as evidenced by the DB9's front fascia) with powertrain and chassis tweaks developed for the Vanquish. You will doubtless note that the DB9 looks like nearly every recent Aston Martin preceding it. We'd agree, while allowing that the familial look is a feature, not a bug. As before, it's offered as a coupe or convertible (Volante).

Power in the new DB9 comes from the latest version of Aston Martin's 6.0-liter V12, making 510 horsepower and 457 pound-feet of torque in this application. Those are increases of 40 hp and 14 lb-ft over the old DB9, as well as 20 hp and 37 lb-ft over the Virage. Carbon-ceramic brakes are standard, and the car boasts 50/50 distribution of its 3,935-pound curb weight. If you want to shift for yourself, you'll have to make do with the Touchtronic 2's paddles, as there's no traditional manual gearbox offered.

Inside, you'll find the same familiar instrument and control layout featured in the current Vantage and the outgoing DB9 and Virage models. A backup camera is now standard. The new DB9 does not receive the updated interior design that premiered in the 2013 Vanquish, so there's now a clear differentiation between the flagship and the "mainstream" V12 car in that respect.

If you want to order a new DB9, you may do so immediately. Pricing starts at $185,400 and it hits showrooms in November. For the full rundown, you can view the entire PR blast from Aston Martin below.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/18/aston-martin-vanquishes-virage-unveils-next-gen-db9/

13amdb905-opt.jpg

It certainly looks like an Aston. I'm glad they are finally treating the DB9 with a refresh, though I'm not completely sure I like its looks as much as the old DB9. The real question still stands, though. Was it designed on the Nurburgring, or will James May hate this one too?

Last edited:
Old DB9
Review-of-the-classy-Aston-Martin-DB9.jpg

The front has been taken from the Virage, which I would describe as less aggressive. Not a major difference, but notable.

I will start the booing about the lack of a manual gearbox at 1,000 Boo-urns.

It looks like/is the Virage, so that's not a bad thing.

It's not enough, Increase by 2,500 boo-urns :p

This will make the Virage one of those cars that gets wheeled out on Mecum in 50 years and they're like all over it and the only discernible reason is that it kinda is different from the DB9 that came right after and that everyone remembers. I bet there will be a ~$5000 difference in values at that time beween the Virage and the DB9.

Wait so the Virage lasted all of 5 minutes? What was the point of it if they're going to get rid of it for the 'new' DB9?

This only makes me want to make it into Aston even more; to help them sort their lives out and get an all new car out. Not that I don't like this; still such a timeless design and still incredible. They are simply put the most beautiful and best cars in the world. :thumbsup: :lol:

This makes me really want a Virage now. Other than the One-77 it's going to be the only exclusive Aston of the current crop and will probably be worth a bloody fortune in the future.

Here is the new, the retired and the old next to each other.

Edit: After spending a couple of minutes back and forth, I can't tell any difference between the new DB9 and the Virage. Even the wheels are the same. Maybe if I took a magnifying glass to it, I'd have better luck.

13amdb905-opt.jpg

WKbjZ.jpg
astonmartin_db91.jpg

Last edited:
Why didn't they just make the Virage the "new" DB9 in the first place? Then people wouldn't criticize this one for looking too like a Virage. :p

I like the Virage's more aggressive front styling, but they haven't changed the back ever since the DB9 came out almost 10 years ago (although it is pretty damn perfect, so why would they? :p).

Just how many 911 designers did Aston hire?

The one and only exterior difference to the Virage is the bootlid.

amdb991_5059dc4f5fb8d.jpg