New DD, 1999 Ford Ranger

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
Found a replacement for my 1991 Ranger that got rear-ended last week by an uninsured driver.

I know the pic sucks, I'll get some better ones tomorrow after I wash it.

It's not in perfect shape, but it was cheap and the guy is taking payments on it. The truck is 2wd, 2.5 4-cylinder/5-speed, blows cold air and hot heat, has a nice head unit, etc. It doesn't have a tach though, I've never had a stick without a tach.... :lol:

I'd like to lower 2/3 and put a set of Bullit wheels from a Mustang on it, tint the windows, etc. We'll just have to see how this season's racing goes.

Last edited:

Bubs360

Car(s)
'91 Sentra SE-R, 2003 Triumph Speed Triple 955i
It doesn't have a tach though, I've never had a stick without a tach.... :lol:

Seriously, that's my biggest gripe about making a car "cheap". How much more expensive is it to make a tachometer standard? Especially for a manual transmission. Then, the next trim level with an automatic has the tach that you don't really need since it's, well, an automatic. *facepalm* You can retrofit one pretty easily if you want one, though.

Anyway, I've always loved Ford Rangers. It's just a good little truck with no major flaws, something very surprising to see come from Ford (No offense). Especially since it went all those years without a major redesign, they just stuck with the tried-and-true method and produced a reliable vehicle. Usually the Not-So-Big-Three like to take a good vehicle and slowly take away everything that made it good. :lol:

Get some more pictures up, especially interior shots. ;)

Last edited:

public

Volvomies, volvomies
Car(s)
P26L XC70 D5 and a ton of crap
I drive a stick without a tach and an automatic with a tach. Sense - this configuration makes none.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Thanks Bubs! :thumbsup: I thought about adding a tach, but I really don't want a 5" monster tach hanging off the dash. I'll see if I can find anything more discrete. :D

Public, same here. The Acura is an auto and has tach... :lol:

Bubs360

Car(s)
Thanks Bubs! :thumbsup: I thought about adding a tach, but I really don't want a 5" monster tach hanging off the dash. I'll see if I can find anything more discrete. :D

Yeah, there's someone I know who has a little aftermarket tachometer, about the diameter of, say, the tapered end of a 12oz soda can. Not as good as factory, but it does the job. Hook up four wires and go. :mrgreen:

I've never been a pickup guy, but I've always said that if I needed a good light truck, it would be a Ranger. ;)

JCE

Car(s)
2016 Dodge Charger RT / 2015 Jeep Renegade
Any instrument cluster from any Ranger in that generation will work. Its plug and play, so go snag yourself a cluster from a salvage yard or ebay/craigslist. :D

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
I found that the head unit has a tach option, not sure how accurate it is, but it's a start...

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Here's a few more pics of the truck...

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
I miss my 97 ranger...*sniff*...rolled it over.

2 weeks before the lease was up. :p

Mine didn't have a tach. What's the big deal? The only time I think I ever looked at it was to see if the car was already running and couldn't hear it running.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
It's not a huge deal, just one of those things that's nice to know...

Bubs360

Car(s)
It's not a huge deal, just one of those things that's nice to know...

Exactly. I can live without one, but I'd really rather have one in a manual car. It just bugs me that most of the upper-range trim levels are automatic and have one, and the lower range ones are manual, with no tach. :rolleyes:

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'13 Moto Guzzi V7, '08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Exactly. I can live without one, but I'd really rather have one in a manual car. It just bugs me that most of the upper-range trim levels are automatic and have one, and the lower range ones are manual, with no tach. :rolleyes:

Well at least you don't have a high reving engine without a rev limiter. Those are super fun without a tach :p.

On topic, I love the Rangers. If I ever needed a truck I'd probably get one of them. Cheap, reliable, and small.

Last edited:

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Thanks Spectre, I'll look into those...