New DD, 1999 Ford Ranger

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ - D21 Hardbody
Found a replacement for my 1991 Ranger that got rear-ended last week by an uninsured driver.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/craigb/2009/03/18/ranger.jpg

I know the pic sucks, I'll get some better ones tomorrow after I wash it.

It's not in perfect shape, but it was cheap and the guy is taking payments on it. The truck is 2wd, 2.5 4-cylinder/5-speed, blows cold air and hot heat, has a nice head unit, etc. It doesn't have a tach though, I've never had a stick without a tach.... :lol:

I'd like to lower 2/3 and put a set of Bullit wheels from a Mustang on it, tint the windows, etc. We'll just have to see how this season's racing goes.

Last edited:
It doesn't have a tach though, I've never had a stick without a tach.... :lol:

Seriously, that's my biggest gripe about making a car "cheap". How much more expensive is it to make a tachometer standard? Especially for a manual transmission. Then, the next trim level with an automatic has the tach that you don't really need since it's, well, an automatic. *facepalm* You can retrofit one pretty easily if you want one, though.

Anyway, I've always loved Ford Rangers. It's just a good little truck with no major flaws, something very surprising to see come from Ford (No offense). Especially since it went all those years without a major redesign, they just stuck with the tried-and-true method and produced a reliable vehicle. Usually the Not-So-Big-Three like to take a good vehicle and slowly take away everything that made it good. :lol:

Get some more pictures up, especially interior shots. ;)

Last edited:
I drive a stick without a tach and an automatic with a tach. Sense - this configuration makes none.

Thanks Bubs! :thumbsup: I thought about adding a tach, but I really don't want a 5" monster tach hanging off the dash. I'll see if I can find anything more discrete. :D

Yeah, there's someone I know who has a little aftermarket tachometer, about the diameter of, say, the tapered end of a 12oz soda can. Not as good as factory, but it does the job. Hook up four wires and go. :mrgreen:

I've never been a pickup guy, but I've always said that if I needed a good light truck, it would be a Ranger. ;)

Any instrument cluster from any Ranger in that generation will work. Its plug and play, so go snag yourself a cluster from a salvage yard or ebay/craigslist. :D

I miss my 97 ranger...*sniff*...rolled it over.

2 weeks before the lease was up. :p

Mine didn't have a tach. What's the big deal? The only time I think I ever looked at it was to see if the car was already running and couldn't hear it running.

It's not a huge deal, just one of those things that's nice to know...

Exactly. I can live without one, but I'd really rather have one in a manual car. It just bugs me that most of the upper-range trim levels are automatic and have one, and the lower range ones are manual, with no tach. :rolleyes:

Exactly. I can live without one, but I'd really rather have one in a manual car. It just bugs me that most of the upper-range trim levels are automatic and have one, and the lower range ones are manual, with no tach. :rolleyes:

Well at least you don't have a high reving engine without a rev limiter. Those are super fun without a tach :p.

On topic, I love the Rangers. If I ever needed a truck I'd probably get one of them. Cheap, reliable, and small.

Last edited: