New Dodge Challenger SRT-8 in the flesh

Watch this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQEG-H_DNwM[/youtube]

The black one is so awesome, drifting its 200 inches through the gravel.:woot::jawdrop::heart:
I really feel like THE GOOD OLD DAYS ARE BACK!
Let's just hope that Dodge will bring this to Europe, otherwise I will have to import it myself.
I NEED TO GET THIS CAR!!!

Really, I'm serious. You could give me any car right now. GT-R, ZR-1, even a Zonda or a Veyron, I'd sell it and get myself a Challenger in black. I'm just stunned by that car. I couldn't car less about the interior, as long as the steering wheel doesn't fall off. To put it into the words of the famous philosopher Clarksonius: "Anyway. None of this matters, because whenever I see [a Challenger] I?m filled with a sometimes uncontrollable urge to buy one."
I love that it's so senseless big (quite similar length, width and heigth as an S-Class), I love the sound of the HEMI, I'm willing to give it every gallon of fuel it possibly wants.
And by the way: it's even quite practical. It's got a big boot, folding rear seats and enough space for 5 petrolheads. Considering the size, one could see the Challenger as a cheaper version of the Mercedes CL, only that the Challenger's got more sex-appeal and passion in one of its rear lights than the whole Merc.

Challenger, I love you!:drool::drool:

PS: Sorry for that burst of words, but that just had to come out. The Challenger is the most beautiful new car to come out since .... , well I can't remember.

OK, I'm gonna stop now.

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing is pure sex in all black. :wub:

Any bets on how long it'll take someone to swap in a Viper engine? :evil:

Oh, and fast forward to about 3:10:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKXSg5ekex0[/YOUTUBE]

IF GOD HAD A SOUND, THAT WOULD BE IT.

Blind_Io and Vette Boss "Absolutely phenomenal, it will blow your mind away how well it handles." & "we have stopping distances just over 110 feet from 60mph, which is world class."

eat it up boys.

Last edited:
The car looks good, very good to be specific. But I think performancewise it will be beaten by the Camaro which is based on an up to date chassis. I dislike cars that only look good.
And by performance I do not mean unimportant 1/4mile times :p

And by performance I do not mean unimportant 1/4mile times :p

how are the 1/4 mile times unimportant? a car's acceleration is just as important as it's handling ability.

60-0 in 110ft? they wish. That's Porsche 911 Turbo/Murcielago territory. and they weight about 200 kilos less than Challenger, and most likely have better brakes and tires.

1/4mile IS insignificant. It only tells how hard it can accelerate. deceleration and turning ability are more important when it comes to overall safety. I'm pretty sure that you will not start accelerating when you see a a semi that's flipped across the lanes. but if you do, I will recommend you to the Darwin's awards committee..:lol:

60-0 in 110ft? they wish. That's Porsche 911 Turbo/Murcielago territory. and they weight about 200 kilos less than Challenger, and most likely have better brakes and tires.

you REALLY hate American cars don't you? just shut the fuck up already. seriously, you're not even the few who get to have the first Challenger, but yet you already know that it has worst brakes than a 911 Turbo and Murcielago. are you stuck in the 70's where the Challenger wasn't as great in stopping ability as a foriegn sports car?

how are the 1/4 mile times unimportant? a car's acceleration is just as important as it's handling ability.

On the road, you aren't going to be able to do a standing 1/4 mile at full throttle (legally) in a car with a decent amount of power. 0-60mph are more practical to the real world if you want to compare acceleration.

You are over thinking his response.

Leonidae said:

CLS55 AMG can do do 60-0 in 116ft. Never under estimate the power of massive brakes and tires.

BTW, what tires and brakes are on this Challenger? You obviously know more about the car than the rest of us, so please, enlighten us.

110ft seems fairly reasonable to me. That's what a Mk4 Golf R32 stops in and that doesn't exactly have the most advanced braking system in the world

Last edited:
On the road, you aren't going to be able to do a standing 1/4 mile at full throttle (legally) in a car with a decent amount of power. 0-60mph are more practical to the real world if you want to compare acceleration.

30-50mph is more practical in everyday situations, as you're not going to try to accelerate from a dead stop with massive fervor at every second. But if we car enthusiasts cared about that sort of thing, we wouldn't be looking at the Challenger, ffs.

I bet it doesn't even have a 60-40 split folding rear seat for my skis! Therefore, it's a huge piece of crap and deserves all my ire and fury. :rolleyes:

BTW, what tires and brakes are on this Challenger? You obviously know more about the car than the rest of us, so please, enlighten us.

Clearly Porsche's and Lamborghini's (those aren't even remotely in the same market/price bracket, but those are niggling little details that Internet Racers will be quick to dismiss) tires and brakes are made of some sort of mystical unobtainium substance only available to classy, sophisticated Europeans and not us fat, stupid Americans in our fat, stupid cars.

Hint: the Challenger doesn't have lolspringz, either.

Really, I'm serious. You could give me any car right now. GT-R, ZR-1, even a Zonda or a Veyron, I'd sell it and get myself a Challenger

Nice to see we've converted you to the dark side :evil: Now you might understand why some of us defend the old "piles of shit" to the death ;)

Blaro said:
Clearly Porsche's and Lamborghini's (those aren't even remotely in the same market/price bracket, but those are niggling little details that Internet Racers will be quick to dismiss) tires and brakes are made of some sort of mystical unobtainium substance only available to classy, sophisticated Europeans and not us fat, stupid Americans in our fat, stupid cars.

Hint: the Challenger doesn't have lolspringz, either.

Oh you mean those super special, off the shelf Michelin PS2's, the same ones that come on the CTS? :tease: I forgot the Porsche and Lambos have Parachutes that auto repack themselves after every braking maneuver resulting in 5 negative G stops.

Last edited:
30-50mph is more practical in everyday situations, as you're not going to try to accelerate from a dead stop with massive fervor at every second. But if we car enthusiasts cared about that sort of thing, we wouldn't be looking at the Challenger, ffs.

I bet it doesn't even have a 60-40 split folding rear seat for my skis! Therefore, it's a huge piece of crap and deserves all my ire and fury. :rolleyes:
0-60mph are more widely published performance figures than 30-50mph times, though you are right.
I wasn't disregarding the Challenger's performance figures. I was just saying that I would be able to use and enjoy its power from 0-60mph more so because chances are I won't have an empty 1/4 mile in front of me on a day to day basis.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKXSg5ekex0[/YOUTUBE]

Wow that was seriously one of the lamest videos about what should be one of the most exciting cars of the year. Like how the hell do you make that car boring?? I dunno, whoever made that video managed to.

And wtf? Was the mic in somebody's suitcase? Why was it all muffled?

I'll be getting one when I graduate from college in a year.

Fellas, no need for the argument. We'll let the REAL car magazines decide if these new pony cars are any good. By that I mean any car magazine excluding Car and Driver, Motor Trend, or Road and Track.

I want Top Gear TV to put them all head to head. :D

Fellas, no need for the argument. We'll let the REAL car magazines decide if these new pony cars are any good. By that I mean any car magazine excluding Car and Driver, Motor Trend, or Road and Track.

its not an arguement when its one person against the rest of the forum who love this new car.