New Drivers + Insurance costs. Plus annoying Driving laws. What's your country like?

WirelessMonkey

Car(s)
MK1 Golf Driver
Just out of interest, what do you lucky fuckers pay over in the US? What are the rules about insurance and stuff? I'm intreeged.

Over here, we have two tests. A theory and a Practical. You can take these when you turn 17, there is allways an epic waiting list. You have to take and pass your theory before you can do the practical part of the test. For the Practical you have to drive for 45 mins or so, do 3 maneuvers and such.

When you pass, you will want to find a car. Not so easy, mind you. WORST thing about my age is insurance. Insurance is a legal requirement, most traffic cops have an ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) computer in there car which scans your plate. It can tell if you have Tax, or Insurance. If you have no insurance they take your car off of you until you get it.

As for quotes? For a 1.2 Clio Fully Comprehensive for a year I get quotes of ?2800ish. My friend got his down to ?1800 due to it being third party fire and theft. The 1.6 Bora I drive is ?2500 for third party fire and theft for 10 months.

Now onto silly laws.

Plates. Holy shit, are the UK police shit hot on plates! If your numbers are spaced incorrectly, you get pulled. If you have the wrong font? Pulled. Wrong sized plate? Pulled. As for private plates, you have to pick from what the DVLA say is okay, and they go for upwards of ?300ish. Some go for tens of thousands. Also you have to have the white plate on the front of the car, can't be in the window (although some people get away with it) and the yellow on the rear.

So what are your laws and regs? I hear in some states in the US you don't need plates on the front. Also I hear insurance over your side is good compared to us. Also I hear in Australia things like lowering your car is illegal?

Enlighten me :)

Here, in NSW, you can get your learner's permit at 16 after a theory test. You must hold this licence for a year and log 120 hours of supervised driving limited at 80km/h before you can take your practical test at age 17, which is usually around 45 mins. Then you get a provisional licence (P1), meaning you are restricted to what cars you can drive (completely ridiculous and daft rules, these), how fast you can drive (90km/h) and you have to have p-plates on your car, so police know who to harrass on the road. After a year on your P1 licence, you take another theory test, and then go on to your P2 licence, which you hold for 2 more years. Again, car and speed restrictions, this time 100km/h. Still have the police bullseye that are p-plates. Only after this, may you graduate to your full licence, with the ability to drive the full motorway speed limit and any car you choose. It's the most stupid system I've ever seen, and I shall not continue banging on about it.

Insurance is expensive, but not as expensive as in the UK. For example, to comprehensively insure a 1999 Peugeot 206 1.4 for a 17 year old is something like AU$3000, so about ?1600. For third party, fire and theft, this drops to about $900.

Number plates is something I've never understood in the UK, so its no wonder you get pulled for them so often. Here, number plates are only manufactured and issued by the roads authority of that state, which is the RTA here in NSW. This way, there are far fewer false plates in circulation, there is no issue with font or letter spacing, because its all regulated when they are manufactured. There are a number of different styles of number plate for the same state, from the standard issue yellow plates and white "slimline" plates, to larger Euro-style plates. Private plates can be bought from the RTA, but usually have fees in the range of $160-$440 per year, depending on the content and style.

As for car modifications, its not illegal to lower your car. You have to get approval to do so and an engineers certificate deeming the modifications safe. There is a limit to how much you can lower your car though.

Canadaland:

Get your theory at 16 to get your G1. Go through driver's ed (wait 8 months) or wait for one year to get your G2 (practical). Wait another year to get your G (full license, practical test as well). Each level has restrictions associated with it.

Plates, pretty much anything goes except the not so lovely words but it has been known that custom plates that had something interesting, got through. The customized plates are expensive though (well I find them expensive).

Insurance? Lets not go there but if you are a young driver get ready to be raped. Full coverage would be easily $3000+. I lucked out and only paid $88 just for liability insurance on a base 2 door FWD coupe.

Modifications? Go crazy but get ready to pay some astronomical insurance rates since the insurance companies will rape you on that or refuse to give you insurance. But you also have to comply with emission testing here.

I don't find much of a problem with the UK system, the argument about numberpates isn't really a massive issue because as long as the plates are the ones the car was sold with from the dealer you'll have no problem.

Pre 1971 cars are allowed black plates with white text but everything after that has to be the white/yellow plate and black text, and reflective. You'll notice cars with black and white plates on Google Street View don't have them blured out because the software doesn't recognise them. Thats why the police demand regulation plates, a different font could screw up what their sensor picks up.

My biggest gripe is insurance:
A 1999 Micra 1.0 for me? ?1300p/a.
A 1992 Polo 1.3? ?1800p/a.
A 1999 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2? ?1500p/a.

Come on, thats silly bloody money for cars only costing about ?800-?1000, thats not even covering me its just Third Party Fire and Theft!
And I'd better not modify them in any way, unless I want my insurance to double

Appart from that nothing really bothers me... appart from the fact any young driver will get pulled over by the police at random just because they are young. And the fact that if I was born a girl I'd pay a good ?300-?400 less on insurance a year...
(Despite the fact I know 3 of my male friends who have never caused an accident themselves but have been involved in accidents caused by women (one of whom is now disabled for life because of it). <_<

BC seems to be different than most other places in Canada. We have a monopolized insurance company, ICBC, the bastards.
The positive thing is that we don't seem to get raped so hard when your starting out with insurance, I only pay $150 a month for my Jeep.

The licencing program is a bit of a bitch.

1 year learners, you MUST have somone 25+ years old with valid drivers licence, this is earned through a written test. Then you must pass a 45 minute driving test to get your N (novice) licence. This restricts you to only 1 passenger and 0 blood alcohol. (I coulld care less about the alc, but the 1 passenger thing SUCKS!!!) During this stage you only have 4 pts on your licence, reach zero and it get's revoked. Most tickets are 3 point deductions, although there are some that are 4 (ie. instant loss of licence).

After having your "N" for 2 years you are able to take another 45 minute drivers test and get your full licence.

As for modifications, if the car has been previously registered in BC, you can do just about whatever you want as long as you don't get caught breaking the rules. If you are, you will be issued a VI (vehicle inspection) which you must pass within 30 days.

If the car is out of province, you have to pass a VI before you can register it.

We have an emmisions test every 2 years, although cars that are 35 years old(er) are exempt from this.

All in all I'm pretty happy with our laws. The speed limits are a bit low (80KPH on the highway? WHAT???) and the 1 passenger "N" rules suck, but oh well.

BC seems to be different than most other places in Canada. We have a monopolized insurance company, ICBC, the bastards.
The positive thing is that we don't seem to get raped so hard when your starting out with insurance, I only pay $150 a month for my Jeep.

We have an emmisions test every 2 years, although cars that are 35 years old(er) are exempt from this.

I'm at only $110 in my rabbit, and you only have to do air care in vancouver, this is good because being that my car is a 26 year old diesel, it's not very clean.

but i'm fairly happy with icbc, especially compared to the UK and their rates.

Yah, I would pay less, but I'm paranoid so I HAVE to have full coverage with at least 2,000 000 liability.

Here, in NSW, you can get your learner's permit at 16 after a theory test. You must hold this licence for a year and log 120 hours of supervised driving limited at 80km/h before you can take your practical test at age 17, which is usually around 45 mins. Then you get a provisional licence (P1), meaning you are restricted to what cars you can drive (completely ridiculous and daft rules, these), how fast you can drive (90km/h) and you have to have p-plates on your car, so police know who to harrass on the road. After a year on your P1 licence, you take another theory test, and then go on to your P2 licence, which you hold for 2 more years. Again, car and speed restrictions, this time 100km/h. Still have the police bullseye that are p-plates. Only after this, may you graduate to your full licence, with the ability to drive the full motorway speed limit and any car you choose. It's the most stupid system I've ever seen, and I shall not continue banging on about it.

Insurance is expensive, but not as expensive as in the UK. For example, to comprehensively insure a 1999 Peugeot 206 1.4 for a 17 year old is something like AU$3000, so about ?1600. For third party, fire and theft, this drops to about $900.

Number plates is something I've never understood in the UK, so its no wonder you get pulled for them so often. Here, number plates are only manufactured and issued by the roads authority of that state, which is the RTA here in NSW. This way, there are far fewer false plates in circulation, there is no issue with font or letter spacing, because its all regulated when they are manufactured. There are a number of different styles of number plate for the same state, from the standard issue yellow plates and white "slimline" plates, to larger Euro-style plates. Private plates can be bought from the RTA, but usually have fees in the range of $160-$440 per year, depending on the content and style.

As for car modifications, its not illegal to lower your car. You have to get approval to do so and an engineers certificate deeming the modifications safe. There is a limit to how much you can lower your car though.

same for me, but i will go into depth on the restrictions. Also on modifications, It is illegal to do any performance enhancing modifications to your vehicles while on P1 / P2 license. This comes down to officer discretion, so if they want they can say a KN air filter is a performance mod. or an oil change....

P platers can not Drive V8's, turbo's, or supercharged vehicles, unless its a turbo diesel. So i cant drive a little gold gti petrol turbo, but can legally drive a twin turbo v10 audi diesel. Makes sense....

Any speeding offence on P1= loss of license, Use your phone while driving on P1 = loss of license

P1 drivers must:

* Have P plates (red P on white background) displayed conspicuously at the front and rear exterior of the car when driving. The letter P on the plate must not be hidden. If towing a trailer, a P plate must be on the back of the trailer.
Not exceed zero blood alcohol concentration (this means you cannot drink before driving). It is also illegal to drive under the influence of drugs.
* Observe a maximum speed limit of 90 km/h.
* Observe towing restrictions (you are only allowed to tow light trailers of up to 250 kilograms unloaded weight).
* Automatic transmission vehicles ? You are restricted to driving an automatic or clutchless manual transmission vehicle if tested in one.
Not supervise a learner driver.
Not upgrade the licence to a higher class.
If aged under 25, you may only carry one passenger under the age of 21 between 11pm and 5am.
Only carry the number of passengers that can be properly seated in seats and restrained by approved seat belts or child restraints.
Only drive vehicles that have a seat belt fitted to the driver's position and you must wear the seat belt.
Not use any functions of a mobile phone including hands-free devices.
Not drive certain prohibited vehicles.

Last edited:
Serbia, there is a new law but this is the old one:
When you are 17 you pay your driving school something around 150?. You will also need to pass a doctors test (very easy, they ask you addition of two numbers :D). Then you have 40x45min class (which usually takes about 2 months or you have 20 classes if you have a license for small bikes). Then, when you become 18 you take a driving test which has theoretical (around 200 questions, you have them all before the test) and practical (you have something like parking maneuver and city driving). If you pass you get full driver license which is valid for the next 10 years.

For number plates, well we only have numbers but you can have anything you like if it isn't taken already.
No insurance is necessary, but it is recommended.

Welcome to the democracy!

Netherlands: You can start driving lessons at 18, only at a certified driving school. This costs huge amounts of money, at the ultimate very least you end up paying 1000 eur, but 2000-2500 eur is more common. Before you can take your driving test, you need to have passed your theoretical exam. This exam also has an age limit of 18. After you pass your driving test, you are registered as a "starting driver" for 5 years, which means you have a lower alcohol limit 0.2 instead of 0.8, points on your license (tailgating, driving more than 30kph too fast, blood alcohol of .8 and over, and causing an accident that leads to personal injuries or death get you one point, 3 strikes = out). No limits on what you can drive, when you drive it and how many passengers you take (as long as you don't take more than the vehicle legally allows).

Did a few insurance quotes for a guy, living where I live, born on 20 dec 1991, with of course 0 years of driving experience. All prices are per month.
2010 Renault Clio 1.2: 90.29 eur third party, 142.65 eur full coverage
2010 Renault Clio 1.6 GT: 96.36 eur third party, 159.57 eur full coverage
1999 VW Polo 1.4 16v 74kW: 92.14 eur third party, 131.20 eur full coverage
a real banger: 1990 Volvo 340 1.7 GL: 78.68 eur third party, 111.09 full coverage
My car: insurer won't allow it because of risks. Same with Clio RS.
Few extra points of note: Parents don't pay more insurance for letting their kids drive, premiums drop significantly after you reach age 25.

On to plates. They are regulated to hell and back. Completely modeled on ZE GERMANZ. Only certified shops are allowed to make license plates. If you need new plates, you have to hand in your old plates, and present proof of ownership of the car, with certified photo-id. If your plates get stolen, you need to report them as stolen, you get new registration papers for your car, and a number is added to your license plate as follows, starting with 1:
KentekenDuplicaatcode.jpg

You are not allowed to make any modifications to the license plates, nor affix any sticker to them. The only way to personalise them is to use a license plate holder with text on it, and generally that is the name of the garage were you maintain your car.

EDIT: I forgot, but in communist Dutchikistan, everyone is equal and just gets the next number in the list. Private plates is something for capitalist imperialist pigs.

Last edited:
Over here, we have two tests. A theory and a Practical. You can take these when you turn 17, there is allways an epic waiting list. You have to take and pass your theory before you can do the practical part of the test. For the Practical you have to drive for 45 mins or so, do 3 maneuvers and such.
The waiting lists are long for 'easy' test centers, find one in a city center and there'll be a short list.

As for quotes? For a 1.2 Clio Fully Comprehensive for a year I get quotes of ?2800ish. My friend got his down to ?1800 due to it being third party fire and theft. The 1.6 Bora I drive is ?2500 for third party fire and theft for 10 months.
Bear in mind that insurance companies are pretty good with the statistics, so these are merely a true representation of how likely you are to crash when aged 17... something to ponder. Also was that Bora quote including the modifications?

Plates. Holy shit, are the UK police shit hot on plates! If your numbers are spaced incorrectly, you get pulled. If you have the wrong font? Pulled. Wrong sized plate? Pulled. As for private plates, you have to pick from what the DVLA say is okay, and they go for upwards of ?300ish. Some go for tens of thousands. Also you have to have the white plate on the front of the car, can't be in the window (although some people get away with it) and the yellow on the rear.
Not sure why this is a big issue... what exactly would you be planning to do with your number plates? Pretty much any change to the plates is going to make you look like a chav twatmackerel anyway. You're not one of these people who wants to fit German style plates?

This is a pretty good roundup, just adding a few things-
- on your learner's and P-plates, there is a 0 Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) limit. I find this regulation pretty stupid, as things such as a Cherry Ripe (which has been shown to put people at up to 0.02) "over the limit" so to speak.

- The car restrictions- nothing supercharged, turbocharged and/or 8 cylinders or over. Doesn't apply if you are driving a diesel. Leads to stupid things such as the new Polo TSI (my next car hopefully) and Golfs being banned whereas the twin turboed, V10 diesel Audi Q7 being allowed. You can get exemptions if you feel your car should ba allowed through, but it's a discretionary process (i.e. if the clerk at the desk is clueless/haivng a bad day they can just say no) and it costs you for that privledge.

-Insurance- I don't have much experience with this as I just pay what is listed for me as a driver on my car (along with my parents as secondaries, so that benefits me as far as making it cheaper). I know it isn't too much as we have had the policy on my car specifically for a looong time (probably since my parents bought it new in 1994) so i get no claim bonuses and such. I do know that it will cost me close to $1000 a year to insure a Polo if/when I get one, even though by that point I will be off my P's, 20 and hopefully still have a clean driving record.

- Licence plates- stupid annual fees, mean it would cost me about $90 a year to get personalised ones. Will probably just get my mum's ones (personaised, but no annual fee) restyled (which is $400!!!!) or replaced sometime soon.

Last edited:
The waiting lists are long for 'easy' test centers, find one in a city center and there'll be a short list.

Bear in mind that insurance companies are pretty good with the statistics, so these are merely a true representation of how likely you are to crash when aged 17... something to ponder. Also was that Bora quote including the modifications?

Not sure why this is a big issue... what exactly would you be planning to do with your number plates? Pretty much any change to the plates is going to make you look like a chav twatmackerel anyway. You're not one of these people who wants to fit German style plates?

The Modifications of lowered suspension and new wheels added just ?170 to the years premium, which I don't think is bad at all!

As for plates, I know any stupid fonts looks crap. In fact, standard plates all the way. It's just the epic tightness the police have about it. Also, some cars the numberplate recess is just a little too small for the plate (ie, front of the Clio 172/182) So a very slightly smaller plate tidies the front up well. My bora looks a million times better with NO plate, though.

The Modifications of lowered suspension and new wheels added just ?170 to the years premium, which I don't think is bad at all!
That really isn't bad, although it would be interesting to see how much they added to a quote that wasn't already lolmassive to start with.

As for plates, I know any stupid fonts looks crap. In fact, standard plates all the way. It's just the epic tightness the police have about it. Also, some cars the numberplate recess is just a little too small for the plate (ie, front of the Clio 172/182) So a very slightly smaller plate tidies the front up well. My bora looks a million times better with NO plate, though.
To be honest that's a problem for the manufacturer rather than the owner to fix.

Pass theory, pass exam, congratulations you now have a license. Same license as everyone else, you can drive whatever you want, alone, whenever you want. If you loose your license within two years, you have to redo your exams. Don't know if you have to redo all six. Probably not. Yes I lied when I said there are only two tests. Those are just the big ones. Lots of small ones. Costs about 12 000 of your monies. Or 25 000. If you're not good at this driving thing, or have to use the schools car all the time. Or 100 000 if you suck. If you're talented, you can wrap your lips around the stick and get a license anyway. Illegal. But hey, is the pope blonde? Points on your license doesnt exist.

As I don't have the identity number of an 18 year old lying around I have no idea what they pay in insurance. If it's a 1994 Renault Clio, they probably pay fuckall. If it's a 2009 BMW M3 they probably pay more. If you're a normal person and not the kind that likes to fiddle about with engines and stereos and whatnot, you drive your parents cars and save your money until you need to get your own car for work.

<tangent>
If you don't have an identity number, you don't exist. Alcohol limit is 2?. Funny dutchies have 8?. Then again they're on drugs. I don't understand how you can be fined for your plates. The plates, like all good things in life, are issued to you by the state. They cannot be improperly formatted. Unless you messed them up. If so, blame your compulsive electrical tape disorder. Standard Eurostrip plates. No localization. You are three letters and three numbers. Black on white. Military have their own plates. Yellow numbers on black. Old system that allowed localization. Removed because the numbers ran out and people could tell where you lived from your plates. Police don't take much interest in traffic. Mostly spend their time on violent crimes and facebook. Or coffee and facebook. Never can remember which one. When the police show up in their cars, they usually think people drive far too slowly and overtake them all.

Last edited:
Where do I start for Oklahoma's new driver laws?

Well, first off, I got a full license at 16. No learners, no wait time (excluding the half mile long line at the DMV), nothing. Walk into the DMV, ace the practical, spend 5 minutes in a car with an instructor proving that I can parallel park, and i'm a fully licensed driver.

Insurance, well... it's not cheap, but it's not expensive, either. About 88$ a month for my first car, 75$ for my current car. And yes, that is full coverage.

Modifications? Any. You can do whatever you want to your car. Want to lower it until a speed bump becomes its natural enemy? Go right ahead. Want to raise it so far up that you can see the tops of buildings? Fine. Does it smoke more than a detective from the 70s? So long as it still does the speed limit, it's alright.

Last edited:
Land of IceBone, Slovenia, coming up :p

At the age of 17 you can signup at your preffered driving school. You listen to the classes, and then write a test, traffic rules and all that. You go get your medical approval, to say that you are not a junkie, alcohead, or a nutjob. That plus the theory test lessons costs roughly 100?. Then you do the first aid classes. Any driver in Slovenia has to have a valid slip that says you can perform first aid. 70? for me and you. And then, about 1 month before you turn 18, driving. There isn't a minimum limit of hours of driving that you have to do, but mostly everyone has to do atleast 20 hours for the sake of it. Most regular people go to about 30 before they are ready. 1 hour=22?. Then a man comes and drives with you and your instructor for 1 lesson and decides whether you can go on a real final exam. Further 15?. Then you have to take the theory test again at your council. The first one was for the driving school, this one is for the authorities. 15? gone for some paper. After this is passed, you do your final exam driving lesson, 2 people and your instructor go for a ride, you do maneouvers blablabla. Finish that, cough up 25? and jobs a gooden. Wait for your driving licence to be made and off you go!
So roughly, a young man/not-a-man who wants to be free, better have around 800-1000? ready, considering that you pass everything first time around.

Until the age of 21 or 3 years of driving experience, whichever first, you must not drink alcohol whilst driving. Always 0.0. If not, you're outta here. No other misdemeanors, too.

For insurance. If you go to a insurance agency, with your Fiat Punto 1.2 1998 model, 44kW, worth 800??, cough up 500? for insurance. There is 1 agency that offers you to do 1 day of safe driving lessons with them and your status of a young drivers is then irrelevant for this agency. Insurance price then drops down for any car. In the case of the Punto, it's 400 instead of 500.

Not much else to say really, personalized plates cost a lot, but you can have anything, that isn't insulting. If they are stolen, lost, you report that, get new ones.

Normal plates:
https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sc/schumacherm/2010/07/05/registrske-1.jpg

First one is for the rozzers, and second for the military, the rest are civilian.

Last edited:
I don't understand how you can be fined for your plates. The plates, like all good things in life, are issued to you by the state. They cannot be improperly formatted. Unless you messed them up.

If I decided I'd prefer 'loltits' instead of my existing plate I could just order a show plate from someone like this and stick it on. If I were willing to pay ?600 I could buy a machine to make my own!

Awesome! Then again you don't have numbers. Friend from Britain tried going to the doctor for non emergency. Doctor asked for his number. He gave him his name. Was told that he does not exist. Needed to come back with number. Not one he made up himself. Plates the same. You can have the plates say anyhing you want, as long as it's approved by the dirtyminded man at the DMV. Costs ??600/10 years. Money goes to pay for rehab for people hurt in sign-related accidents research. Personal plates look just like normal plates, except letters. Illegal to sticker/paint/smear anything on your plates. Don't belong to you. Therefore costs silly money. ?6/plate.

If I decided I'd prefer 'loltits' instead of my existing plate I could just order a show plate from someone like this and stick it on.

I made my own plates. Man at DMV would not approve. Maybe if illiterate.
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/07/05/england.JPG

Last edited:
They have several complicated systhems, all resulting in different amount of mandatory trafficschool driving lessons, and a diffent lengt 'L' plate period.....they swapped it all around again couple of years back ,not sure wich is wich anymore , but I doubt it has gotten simpler :p

In short, theory drivingtest at 17, then a period with 'L' plates and drivinglessons, and you can pas the practical exaam at 18 , witch is about 40 minutes and 4 manouvers, not as hard as it could be , total cost would be around 1500 eurimoney.

Insurance.....ow boy, under 25? parents insurance....
Most companys won't even insure you, and the ones that do will charge UK like amounts, I remember paying (the then equivalent) of 1800 euro's 'BA' (wich is the legaly required minimum) on a (then) 4 year old 1.3L Fiesta as an 18 year old......the exuse? it wasent the base 1.1L so it was a 'sporty' engine :rolleyes:
This was 12 years ago......I can imagine things have gotten alot worse.

Silly laws? nah.....repressive is the word, we got the trafficpolice ,who's single purpose is taxcollecting, they do not prevent or solve crimes, they do not come to your assistence (not that the regular cops do) , the do not regulate traffic ( they have trainee's for risking their lives in the middle of intersections) .
Their single and only purpose is driving around looking for some sap with a bug on his licenceplate ,so they can fine him, or someone who goes 36 through a 30kph 'schoolzone' at 3 in the morning , breaking no laws? they will find an exuse to pull you over regardles, and they will happily think of something on the spot, I once got a ticket for not having an 'emergency triangle' in the car.......
Not that the regular cops ar any better......gang warzone in Brussels? "hell we won't go in there! that would be risking our lives!" , but using binoculars to spot people not wearing a seatbelt? check.
Traffic cams? plenty, an entire forrest of em......I think I don't need to say more.

Just talking about it pisses me of......

Last edited: