New Drivers + Insurance costs. Plus annoying Driving laws. What's your country like?

insurance in the UK is abysmal at times. its completely worth going fully comp as early as possible with you as the named driver (alot of people i knew went on their mum n dads insurance...fully comp, but they build no bonus)

anyway for a R-reg, 1.3 Ka (IG 2 this) my insurance with a pass plus (extra cert you can get) was ?1800. the car cost ?2000.

pass plus barely made a difference, once you get into your 20's though it gets a bit more sensible. at 20 i paid about ?450-500 fully comp for a 1.4 ford focus and now i pay about the same for a 2003 1.9 Skoda Superb and the same again for a 2006 Honda Civic ES 1.8. its only ?400-450 for those cars because my gf is also on the insurance....

pass plus barely made a difference

When I did it I was told to expect around ?200 (what I paid for the lessons) and that was about right, so maybe I needn't have bothered but at the time I didn't have a car so the extra experience and driving time was a welcome thing.

once you get into your 20's though it gets a bit more sensible. at 20 i paid about ?450-500 fully comp for a 1.4 ford focus

My renewal this year should be interesting this year then now I'm 20. I think I said earlier in the thread that mine last year was ?500, third party fire and theft (because if I hit another car they'll be the only one needing repairs, I'll just need a big hammer).

I am also in MA, since everyone has already summarized most of obtaining licenses and such I will add bits left out.

First, insurance. Do not drive a car that is worth any money. A 16 year old barely licensed boy with an accident on his record will pay significantly less than 18+ year Kat in her beetle that is probably still worth over 10K. I know this if you are wondering because I had a conversation with a kid when I was working at walgreens and I was damn surprised by how much of a difference a crap car will make.

Important! If you look young they will pull you over. Even though the news has been full of wah over racial profiling when pulling over cars no one gives a shit if you harass a kid so be damn careful to look for cops because they will pull you over for no reason and as far as I know that is not state specific.

I'd be curious as to where you live. My dad works right on the Mass. border with RI, and he does a lot of driving in Attelboro. He once got a ticket in a gas station there for having a license plate frame that partially covered the registration sticker on his plate.

THIS goes entirely by town/cop. I have easily driven through speed traps at 20 over before but I know if I go into Reading 5 over will get me a ticket. One of my mom's friend's son got pulled over for less than five over the limit THREE TIMES in Reading, and as some of you will know, what 3 tickets equal? Say goodbye to your license until you are 18. I have been pulled over in an area 2x, once I deserved it and got off with a 25$ ticket, the other was with Labcoatguy following me and this dick in an unmarked van pulls us both over saying I was going like 40 or something in a 25 zone. Considering less than 5 seconds ago I had looked at my speedo and it said 25 he was obviously being a lying ass as my 2.slow bug is not even physically capable of speeding up that fast unless I floor it.

Oh, I forgot. If you have an accident you are guilty until proven innocent. They tried to blame me for a crash that happened when i was stopped at the light.

Last edited:
When I did it I was told to expect around ?200 (what I paid for the lessons) and that was about right, so maybe I needn't have bothered but at the time I didn't have a car so the extra experience and driving time was a welcome thing.

My renewal this year should be interesting this year then now I'm 20. I think I said earlier in the thread that mine last year was ?500, third party fire and theft (because if I hit another car they'll be the only one needing repairs, I'll just need a big hammer).

haha true.... good old landy's. out of curiosity ... how much does it cost to go green-laning/off roading. i have a friend who lives down south who has a first gen RR thats basically now just a 2 seat cab surrounded by scafolding. its amazing. but how he affords it i dont know. wouldnt mind trying it one day..,.gotta build up the funds first.

out of curiosity ... how much does it cost to go green-laning/off roading.

Nothing really. Green laning is included in the insurance because they're roads and off road sites are private land so insurance doesn't apply. Most sites charge about ?25 to get in though and you sign a liability waiver on the gate. So if you damage it doing things like that <--, it's tough luck.

The RR sounds nice, I'm in a club and there are a few with vehicles like that, they drive them like nutters.

Last edited:
i dunno how much lift hes got on it or what size tyres but they look pretty substantial. ill see i can steal his pix!

Things the police do.

Follow me almost touching my bumper trying to get me to speed or make a mistake GRRR. It's called baiting and VERY common especially amongst younger drivers.

Things the police do.

Follow me almost touching my bumper trying to get me to speed or make a mistake GRRR. It's called baiting and VERY common especially amongst younger drivers.

It's what you get for having a modified car. They use to do it to my brother in his horribly modified Astra.

Things the police do.

The boy racers in Puntos do that to me here; I just whack the cruise control and piss them off:burnrubber:

Police here just sit on roads where people speed and nab you without you eve knowing they were there

because of some silly minnesota teenager who crashed her car when a bunch of people were in it, for the first six months of having my license I couldn't carry more than one person which is completely impractical and stupid in every way considering I drive about 300 miles per weak and am probably more alert than many "experienced drivers" on the road

When you get a driving license in Iceland your insurance is just the same as a 50 year old well respected Doctor

which is very nice

HOWEVER, there is a 90 km speedlimit in the country, altought the road from Kef Airport to Reykjavik is designed for 120 and my fathers coworker was one of the designers so I've heard him say it.

and also ... if you go over 96 km/h you get a speeding ticket .. 10000 kroners ........ which is what 2 pence to you Brits and 1 cent in EU and 5 cents in US (hypothetical)

Oh no!
313r7rb.jpg

That's horrible! :lol:

They used to tailgate me with my standard new clio. It's just because I'm young! And brake-testing anyone is ILLEGAL. If I slammed on the anchors and they crashed into me, I'd be the one at fault.