New Earbuds needed

Koenig

Looking for new earbuds to replace my Shure SE102's that I just lost. Budget of about $60 CAD. Would like another pair of Shures, but they're far too expensive (I only bought the SE102's because they were 50% off). Any suggestions?

Why don't you just go to a hotel and say that you misplaced yours? Most hotels have a box full of them and couldn't care less.

Two looked up these earbuds which are just earphones with some clever name for an expensive price. Buy cheep or used. Save the money! later you will thank me.

The big point unplug being shut off from the world is a pity there are wonderful people to talk to wherever you go.

Why don't you just go to a hotel and say that you misplaced yours? Most hotels have a box full of them and couldn't care less.

Two looked up these earbuds which are just earphones with some clever name for an expensive price. Buy cheep or used. Save the money! later you will thank me.

The big point unplug being shut off from the world is a pity there are wonderful people to talk to wherever you go.

WUT. Anyways....:blink:

Are you being serious about the whole "buy used" for earbuds? You're opening a huge can of hygiene-related worms there man.

I'm just gonna file this response under "I think he might be drunk".

I'm just gonna file this response under "I think he might be drunk".

I think I'm going to agree with you there, certainly is a strange answer. I'm reluctant to use someone else's earbuds let alone buy them.

Buying cheap isn't necessarily a good idea either, cheap sets break easily so you'll be buying more. I've used Logitech Playgear Stealth earbuds for years now even though they're getting more expensive and harder to find because they're well made and the sound quality is good.

As for talking to people, nobody wants to be the nutter on the bus who wants to have a conversation with anyone and anything...

jvc_ha_fx700_3-620x465.jpg

i want a set of those. 730$ is a bit steep though :eek:

31oLWtG1HgL._SL210_.jpg

these look cool though...
wireless and everything!

Last edited:
I am in the same boat as you, since my earbuds bit the dust last night.

Same old story - cable becomes disconnected at the jack and the sound is lost in one of the buds. Grrrr...It's a pure marketing scheme! They make them so flimsy on purpose - so they can only last 6 months and then you have to buy new ones.

I have a pair of Sony Walkman earbuds (cable is too short and inconvenient though)...they are 6-years-old and still work brilliantly!!!
In the past 2 years, I've been through 4 sets of Creative earbuds (the last ones were the EP-830). Excellent sound! Poor build quality.

I think I will get the same ones again...I love the fit and sound quality.

Today I'm running the stock iPod buds...My God these are awful!!! They physically hurt my ears - they don't fit properly! What were Apple thinking??? I pay $200 for a state-of-the-art device and they give me crap earbuds! A cheap, $50 Creative Zen comes with a nice set of well-fitting, good-sounding buds. Shame on you, Apple!

I am in the same boat as you, since my earbuds bit the dust last night.

Same old story - cable becomes disconnected at the jack and the sound is lost in one of the buds. Grrrr...It's a pure marketing scheme! They make them so flimsy on purpose - so they can only last 6 months and then you have to buy new ones.

I have a pair of Sony Walkman earbuds (cable is too short and inconvenient though)...they are 6-years-old and still work brilliantly!!!
In the past 2 years, I've been through 4 sets of Creative earbuds (the last ones were the EP-830). Excellent sound! Poor build quality.

I think I will get the same ones again...I love the fit and sound quality.

Today I'm running the stock iPod buds...My God these are awful!!! They physically hurt my ears - they don't fit properly! What were Apple thinking??? I pay $200 for a state-of-the-art device and they give me crap earbuds! A cheap, $50 Creative Zen comes with a nice set of well-fitting, good-sounding buds. Shame on you, Apple!

Ouch. Personally, I would definitely buy Shures again, but goddamn, they are sooooooooooooooooooooo expensive, however, they feel so good in your ears that you sometimes forget that they're even there.

@Bone: Those discount Bose' look pretty good, but is that the American Amazon? Don't think they ship to Canada.

wait? wut? there's such a thing as expensive earbuds? an people actualy buy them? :blink:

I thought they were all 5-bucks-a-pair made in korea crap ......

I've had Shures for about 4 years and I'm wearing them right now and they still work excellent. Highly recommended. Foam buds are the best too:
shure3.jpg

Sennheisers. I have had mine for 12 months now (probably more) and they have been through 7 degrees of hell in relation to lack of TLC and proper storage (including one particluarly nasty incident in which they got etangled in my office chair wheels and were removed by me dragging both earbuds and the jack throught the tracks rather roughly) and they still work perfectly. Would reccommend them to anybody any day.

^yep, haven't heard many bad experiences with sennheiser. they make good stuff

If you want cheaper, but still good, I've loved every single pair of Phillips SHE-series buds I've had. Currently using the SHE9501s, they can be had for about $19 on Amazon (USD).

Sennheisers. I have had mine for 12 months now (probably more) and they have been through 7 degrees of hell in relation to lack of TLC and proper storage (including one particluarly nasty incident in which they got etangled in my office chair wheels and were removed by me dragging both earbuds and the jack throught the tracks rather roughly) and they still work perfectly. Would reccommend them to anybody any day.

I don't have Sennheiser's earbuds, but right now am listening to music on the HD-600's...they are amazing...just amazing.

I'm quite happy with my Sennheiser CX400, know a few people with CX300 and CX500 as well, all satisfied. I've never tried expensive earbuds, but compared to good earphones they sound quite nice (well, they're still earbuds).

Two problems with them though: the main cable is too short - on a well-built male it will only reach waist - just - so you can't have your player in your jeans pocket. Extension cable is included, but it's too long; the second problem - they hiss mildly on some devices, e.g. D2/D2+. The latter does not matter if you're playing anything at at least 8% volume, maybe less.

Have you looked at Jays? s-Jays are out of your price range, but probably you could snatch a good deal. Check out anythingbutipod for earbud reviews anyway.
Have

Been happy with my Shure SE110s so far. They've lasted two years or thereabouts now, and are still going strong... I haven't regretted the purchase.

I love my Shure SE210s, highly recommended.

Another vote for Sennheisers from here. I bought a set of CX300-II's a few months ago (about 20?) and have had absolutely nothing to complain about. They are much better than my previous earphones (Koss Spark Plugs) and on a different planet compared to all the cheap ones I had before. I'm not a great judge on sound quality but to me it's easily adequate, they isolate the ambient noise very well and are really comfortable to wear for longer periods of time, something that was the big shortfall of the Koss set I had.

Thoughts on Shure SE115s and Klipsch S4?
I'm considering buy a pair of either of these, reviews seem respectable on both sides but I trust the thoughts of the collective of Final Gear more.