New Ford GT named "Ford Phoenix" V6 Ecoboost

Rich people have too much free time on their hands.

I'd rather have a GT350R.

Ford takes lessons from Ferrari on buying the GT.

Fuck you Ford, fuck you.

With a price of $450,000 and only 500 getting made, it's already so far from an "everyman's sports car" that I just can't get all that worked up over it. While I'm not keen on the social media aspect, I kinda like the idea of "we don't want to sell these to someone who's looking at it like some sort of investment, either hidden away in a barn somewhere or flipped on ebay. We want the owner to actually drive it and show it off."

Reactions: TC
Ford takes lessons from Ferrari on buying the GT.

Fuck you Ford, fuck you.
Really? You're mad at the process required to buy a 450k car?:blink:

That's like me being pissed that Scarlett Johansen has a list of requirements before she'll have sex. None of us have a shot anyway, so who cares?

Last edited:
Like I said, I'd rather have a GT350R. :p
So would I, but I wouldn't pay a red cent of ADM. Or even Canadian MSRP (which is worse, in that I cannot avoid it).

So would I, but I wouldn't pay a red cent of ADM. Or even Canadian MSRP (which is worse, in that I cannot avoid it).

You can't put a price on not being treated like a trained monkey though. I'd rather buy used and do what I want with my property.

Not that a V6 automatic supercar interests me though. I don't think this new GT holds a candle to the previous one.

With a price of $450,000 and only 500 getting made, it's already so far from an "everyman's sports car" that I just can't get all that worked up over it. While I'm not keen on the social media aspect, I kinda like the idea of "we don't want to sell these to someone who's looking at it like some sort of investment, either hidden away in a barn somewhere or flipped on ebay. We want the owner to actually drive it and show it off."

Agreed. Don't like the terms? Feel free to go off and buy something else that isn't that particular 1-of-500 limited edition supercar. Ford won't miss you.

You can't put a price on not being treated like a trained monkey though. I'd rather buy used and do what I want with my property.
I'm not disagreeing with you one bit, only that even if I'm being treated well, I won't pay markup.

On the topic of "good treatment", my experience with the the various Porsche dealers I flirted with last year (even those who knew I wouldn't buy from them) was excellent.

I get that I am not an intended customer because I simply don't have the cash to buy one. But what if I hit the lottery and wanted my first big toy to be this car? Oops, sorry, no history of owning Ford products that meet the requirements. Strike two for lack of social media activity. Strike three for not being able to produce a fancy video.

Hell, I bet half the people that buy one won't have much of a social media presence. It is just a foolish way to build customer loyalty.

Really? You're mad at the process required to buy a 450k car?:blink:

That's like me being pissed that Scarlett Johansen has a list of requirements before she'll have sex. None of us have a shot anyway, so who cares?

Of course buying a car and having sex with a starlet are the same thing... The only thing I ever hear you say about buying a car is how Canadians get bent over,... oh wait. Maybe they do have more in common than I thought. :p

Of course buying a $450,000 car and having sex with a starlet are the same thing... The only thing I ever hear you say about buying a Ford is how Canadians get bent over,... oh wait. Maybe they do have more in common than I thought. :p
FTFY.

If you can buy a $450,000 car money isn't a concern, exclusivity is.

I get that I am not an intended customer because I simply don't have the cash to buy one. But what if I hit the lottery and wanted my first big toy to be this car? Oops, sorry, no history of owning Ford products that meet the requirements. Strike two for lack of social media activity. Strike three for not being able to produce a fancy video.

Well, then you come to the realization that you're 700th in line to buy one of a limited-edition run of 500 cars, so you aren't getting one. I get what you're saying though: I don't really have an interest in ever owning a Ferrari, and part of that is how snobby the purchasing experience is, but that's their whole range (even for their cars that don't have production caps), and Ford is just doing this for one car. Their one car that's not supposed to be easily attainable.

Nice, calling it phoenix will be a PR disaster once the first one burns down :p

That exlusive buying thing....oh yeah, Ferrari also does that. Completely works out, I mean, it's not like some giant douchebags bought La Ferraris.

[video=youtube;w-xSoeztmL0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-xSoeztmL0[/video]

[video=youtube;P-NhBxxXgxU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-NhBxxXgxU[/video]

Hint: Dicks with money will always get the cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not if they just give the owner a new one :p

Man, i was really mad when they announced it. Now i finally get "teh beeg picture": There are group of self-indulging elitists, who woun't spend a dime on something, that isn't built, commercial'd and then sold exclusively to them on the basis of loud 'rounaweurld message.

If Ford decided they can make some money on thoose types... why don't they? I mean, it's time to slice a piece of cherrypie that italians used to have for themselves.:p

Although the Mur'can part of me is disappointed that Ford didn't make an EcoBoost V8 exclusive to its most badass production car ever, the gearhead part of me doesn't care as long as there's stupid power to be had. Even with that said, I think "over 800" would've been better. Or maybe it will be 800ish? "Over 600" is intentionally vague, and Ford isn't saying how much over 600.

Last edited:
Over time, cars tend to become better in almost every way, except when they don't. The 2017 Ford GT will assuredly outdo its predecessor in terms of performance, in part due to packing at least 50 more horsepower, but it doesn't do any better at the fuel pump. The EPA rates the new GT at 14 mpg overall, with an 11 mpg rating for the city, and 18 mpg for the highway.

The 12-year old GT from 2005 got the same overall mpg, and actually managed 1 mpg better ratings for the city and highway. The new GT's fuel economy number also means it will likely garner a Gas Guzzler Tax of $2,600. However, this tax could also be more or less, since the government uses unadjusted ratings that differ from the EPA numbers seen on Monroney stickers.

The new GT looks even thirstier when comparing it with its mid-engine rivals. The McLaren 570S, Ferrari 488 GTB, and Lamborghini Hurac?n, all top the American supercar in almost every fuel economy measure. All three manage to top 20 mpg on the highway, with the Lambo bringing up the rear with 21 mpg, and the McLaren coming out ahead with 23 mpg. The lead extends to city mileage, too, with the McLaren leading the charge again with 16 mpg, and the Lamborghini falling to the bottom with 14 mpg. And it's worth noting that two of these cars use turbocharged V8s, and one a naturally aspirated V10.

64462517.jpg

Making a V6 less efficient than V8s, V10s....even less efficient than your own 12 year old Supercharged V8.....well done Ford, well done. Clearly such fine engineering will continue inside the engine, wonder how long these "Turbo V6s" last under load. Better buy one of these limited edition sheds and park it in a garage for 10 years to sell to the next collector who doesn't dare to drive it :p But at least they named it ECOBOOST :lol:

I think the bigger difference is that, the larger engines are sort just floating along and don't require to be pushed as hard when cruising. It's just like the ecoboosts in all their other models. None of them really get any better real world mpg than their N/A counterparts. Power, yes.