New Ford Mustang set for world debut

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/268678/new_ford_mustang_set_for_world_debut.html

A big slice of America is crossing the Atlantic: the Mustang is heading to UK showrooms, Auto Express can reveal. To coincide with the muscle car?s 50th anniversary in 2014, Ford will launch it across the world, and in right-hand drive for the first time.

Sources have revealed that dealers are being told to prepare for its arrival. The newcomer will sit at the top of the range alongside regular models such as the Fiesta and Focus in dealerships. It will be the most European-friendly version of the coup? ever ? but will still be a proper Mustang, with V8s for the fastest models.

The company?s ?One Ford? strategy is behind the Mustang?s migration. To cut costs and reduce the number of models (and platforms) the firm makes globally, the all-new model will be a ?world car?, sold in different markets virtually unchanged.

The Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo already follow this approach, and it means there is a business case for producing right-hand-drive Mustangs in the States and shipping them to Europe. But the UK won?t be the only right-hand-drive market the car is offered in; Australia and Japan will take the car, too.

An insider revealed: ?The design studios in Europe and Australia are working on it, as well as those in America. It will be smaller and closer in spirit to the original 1964 Mustang.?

Our illustrations give you a good idea of how the new ?pony? car will look. It?s leaner and ever so slightly smaller, but still very mean, and packs all the visual aggression for which the legendary model has been famous. This includes recessed headlamps, a traditional C-pillar and triple lens tail-lights.

Yet while it harks back to Sixties Mustangs, the new car will be the most technically advanced version ever. It will be far lighter than the current model, for improved fuel efficiency and reduced CO2 emissions.

Plus, for the first time, it?s set to feature independent rear suspension. As on the Chevrolet Camaro, this set-up replaces the decades-old live rear axle of the current car, and should mean better ride comfort and traction.

Power will come from a new 2.5-litre four-cylinder EcoBoost turbo with around 300bhp, while a range-topping 500bhp 5.4-litre V8 will be available, too. Six-speed manual and auto transmissions are likely to be offered with torque vectoring to keep the performance in check, while the handling is expected to be tuned by Jost Capito and his team at Ford?s Global Performance Vehicles arm.

As well as upping quality under the skin, Ford will have to pay attention to the materials used inside ? current models fall behind their European rivals in terms of fit and finish. The move to make the Mustang a world car will be controversial.

Bosses will need to tread carefully so as not to alienate the model?s huge fan base ? nearly 75,000 examples were sold in the US in 2010 ? and still appeal to discerning UK buyers used to the BMW 3-Series Coup? and Audi A5.

But with Vauxhall?s VXR8, and the Monaro before it, proving that there?s room for powerful muscle cars in the line-up of a mainstream maker, Ford will be confident of success.

Makes sense to me. One sports car shared world wide.

The "world car" concept seems like a no-brainer, and it's a wonder why car companies got so zealous with their platform sharing and brand dilution in the last decade, and still think it's a good idea today.

Maybe they could revive the Capri badge - at least for a trim level ;)

I'm more interested in this bit:

Power will come from a new 2.5-litre four-cylinder EcoBoost turbo with around 300bhp, while a range-topping 500bhp 5.4-litre V8 will be available, too.

I'd like to get some confirmation of that.

I'm more interested in this bit:

I'd like to get some confirmation of that.

Ford's been hinting at an Ecoboost Mustang for the last two years it isn't wild speculation.

The "world car" concept might work in terms of styling, but not engine-wise. They won't sell any small sports cars in Europe without a turbocharged four-cylinder engine (keeping up the Capri tradition, by the way), while on the other hand, they won't sell any small sports cars in the U.S. without a V8.

given that i just listened to the new V6 stang the other day, great!! it sounds amazing. I know they only mention the 4 pot and V8 , but they should do a 6 as well.

There must be a V8 for the GT. Anything less would be a tragedy and a disgrace. Preferable I would like the I4, the V6, and two V8s.

There must be a V8 for the GT. Anything less would be a tragedy and a disgrace. Preferable I would like the I4, the V6, and two V8s.

Likely that's what we gonna get. The turbo4 for the cheapest one, the V6 for the midrange and v8 for GT.

Ford's been hinting at an Ecoboost Mustang for the last two years it isn't wild speculation.

Yes, but what I am getting at is whether this is this was supposed to be an unofficial yet intentional release of what the future engines will be. To be honest, I could care less about the 4banger option. The "500hp" 5.4 is what is really intrigues me, since I will be in the new car market when that hits showrooms. The 4 cylinder does make great sense for an overseas Mustang. Won't be the first turbo 4 banger Mustang either.

I don't see a V6. The Turbo 4 would replace the current 6.

A Mustang with a 4-pot is just wrong; no matter how powerful it is.

Imagine seeing a Mustang on the street and it sounding like a Honda Civic...:no:

A Mustang with a 4-pot is just wrong; no matter how powerful it is.

I don't have to imagine it. As Bad_Bowtie already pointed out, there have been I4 Mustangs before. According to Wikipedia, the 2nd gen Mustang was offered with a 2.3 liter NA I4 (in fact, there was not even a V8 option in the 1974 model year) and third-gen Mustang was available with an I4 both in NA and turbocharged variant.

The information about a four cylinder engine seriously conflicts with the information reported in this article.

Ford insiders we talked to pretty quickly deep-sixed the GT500 turbo rumors. While the Mustang seen here wears the body of the top Stang, it?s possible that it could be a test bed for lesser EcoBoost engines. Rumors of EcoBoost Mustangs have persisted since the engines were first announced. However, the Mustang engine roster was just recently overhauled, and there?s not really any room for the turbocharged, direct-injected family in the lineup. The turbo V-6?s output encroaches too much on 5.0 territory, and the current car?s 305-hp naturally aspirated base V-6 is so good?finally?that we can?t see Ford taking a chance and replacing it already.

What is the point of a 2.5 turbo exactly?
The only reason I could think of is gas mileage, but that is a terrible reason when the V6 with the same 300hp gets 30 hwy which is pretty damn good for 300hp and better than some of the other 2.5 turbo cars with less hp (mazdaspeed 3 for example). I really don't see the point.

The only reason I could think of is gas mileage, but that is a terrible reason when the V6 with the same 300hp gets 30 hwy which is pretty damn good for 300hp and better than some of the other 2.5 turbo cars with less hp (mazdaspeed 3 for example). I really don't see the point.

Because if this is infact a global platform, they will be selling it in places that tax/insure according to engine size. And a V6 is bigger than an i4

Presumably it is cheaper to build and therefore cheaper to sell, and it gets into a lower tax band.

I wonder why anyone bought the Triumph Dolomite 1500s when the 1850 is faster and MORE economical and better looking, better equipped and the engine explodes on a slightly less regular basis. But it was because the 1500 was cheaper to buy an tax/insure in the long run, simple as that.

I don't see how that would work in this case though, this isn't a family saloon, people will want a Mustang in Europe to be a fast car. At the moment something like a Mustang is a considerable status symbol. It'll be interesting to see what happens when they become easily available...

Edit - God dammit JJJ <_<

Because if this is infact a global platform, they will be selling it in places that tax/insure according to engine size. And a V6 is bigger than an i4
Oh, so then because europe is stupid with taxes then. :lol:
I hope to god they don't even briefly consider selling that engine to the US. :|

I hope to god they don't even briefly consider selling that engine to the US. :|

Why? The more engine options the better, I say. It's not like it would be the first 4cylinder Mustang, it would just be the first that didn't suck walnuts. If they have a good V6 option, or 2, and a good V8 option, or 2, I would be totally cool with a turbo-4 model.