New Ford Mustang set for world debut

A new SVO would be neat, but to be honest I'd want a V8 if I was buying it myself.

I think it will NEED a V8 to sell in Europe, when I say "Ford Mustang" to people the first thing they think of is the car chase in Bullitt, and the original Mustang fastback. In the UK at least the Mustang is seen as American Muscle, and the first rule of American Muscle is having a large American V8.
That's why people go to hassle of having them imported over here, and putting up with the awful fuel consumption and the steering wheel on the wrong side, the classic slice of American heritage. Its exotic...

I really can't see people wanting a Mustang with anything else to be honest...

(Although I couldn't care less about the Ford, I want a Dodge Challenger!) :p

Why? The more engine options the better, I say. It's not like it would be the first 4cylinder Mustang, it would just be the first that didn't suck walnuts. If they have a good V6 option, or 2, and a good V8 option, or 2, I would be totally cool with a turbo-4 model.
I don't see any benefit of having the 4 cylinder over the V6 without the tax incentive. Also it doesn't make sense to have 2 engines with 300 hp, so if they shoved in the 4 cylinder they might take away the V6 one, and that would effectively make me take the mustang off my list of cars I want to replace my bug with.

A Mustang with a 4-pot is just wrong; no matter how powerful it is.

Imagine seeing a Mustang on the street and it sounding like a Honda Civic...:no:

That would be horrendous.

Just for fun, here's my friend's mom's '11 V6 with only a Roush axleback. I like the sound, but a 4 cylinder...no thanks.

[video=youtube;9M9Jgqf-zZ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M9Jgqf-zZ8[/video]

But this is how every Mustang should sound.

Side note: Can you get past emissions in Europe as easily as you can here?

The information about a four cylinder engine seriously conflicts with the information reported in this article.

Thanks for that.

Why? The more engine options the better, I say. It's not like it would be the first 4cylinder Mustang, it would just be the first that didn't suck walnuts. If they have a good V6 option, or 2, and a good V8 option, or 2, I would be totally cool with a turbo-4 model.

In the foxbody years, the SVO (turbo 4banger) was the fastest Mustang available.

Last edited:
I don't see any benefit of having the 4 cylinder over the V6 without the tax incentive. Also it doesn't make sense to have 2 engines with 300 hp, so if they shoved in the 4 cylinder they might take away the V6 one, and that would effectively make me take the mustang off my list of cars I want to replace my bug with.
But think of all the money you'll save on spark plugs and wires!! :eek:

But seriously, I don't think Ford would replace the V6 with it. Like others have said, it's much more likely that they'll want to offer a small displacement turbo motor for other markets that get taxed on displacement. But since Ford is already going through the trouble of building it, they might as well offer it here. If it sucks and sells poorly, Ford would be foolish to replace the V6 with it. But if it's a great motor that results in better performance and fuel economy, while costing less than the V6, then... well... who knows.

In the foxbody years, the SVO (turbo 4banger) was the fastest Mustang available.
Like I said. :p

As for exhaust note, I've heard some pretty damn good turbo-4's in my time. I'm sure Ford will not ignore that part, especially with how good the new V6 sounds.

Last edited:
looking forward to it, I rented a 6 in florida and loved it (and I'm a GM man)

1. Make new Mustang a 'world car'.
2. Share RWD platform with Falcon.
3. Falcon gets to keep RWD, Australia gets Mustang, US gets Falcon.
4. ???
5. Profit.

1. Make new Mustang a 'world car'.
2. Share RWD platform with Falcon.
3. Falcon gets to keep RWD, Australia gets Mustang, US gets Falcon.
4. ???
5. Profit.

6. Europe gets 400+hp V8 Falcon Ute with the steering wheel on the proper side.

What do you mean that won't sell?

Last edited:

It's already on the proper side ;)

Holden Ute is a better overall package than the falcon ute (ford do still offer a 1 tonne varient though)

What do you mean that won't sell?

7. The US gets a new Ford Ranchero, because if the rumors are true and GM's bringing back the El Camino for 2014, Ford would love to strike first. And that puppy WILL sell.

I'm down for Falcon and Mustang appearing in the same showroom - What I'm not down for is the Mustang being priced into the stratosphere because its "special".

7. The US gets a new Ford Ranchero, because if the rumors are true and GM's bringing back the El Camino for 2014, Ford would love to strike first. And that puppy WILL sell.

I doubt either would happen. UTEs won't sell here.

I'm down for Falcon and Mustang appearing in the same showroom - What I'm not down for is the Mustang being priced into the stratosphere because its "special".

The point is that it won't be a special car. It'd be like a Monaro. If it shares platforms with the Falcon it may even be made locally.

I think there is enough demand that GM is going to do it, so why not Ford too. I would rather have an El Camino/ Ranchero, than a Colorado or Ranger. A UTE is the perfect light truck.

Is there a pic of the new Mustang?

They have a picture, but it is a magazine drawing having no relation to what it will look like.

I think there is enough demand that GM is going to do it, so why not Ford too. I would rather have an El Camino/ Ranchero, than a Colorado or Ranger. A UTE is the perfect light truck.
?

how much demand was there for the chevy SSR in 2003? im too young to remember but did that sell enough that they would want to make another, way more practical light truck??

The point is that it won't be a special car. It'd be like a Monaro. If it shares platforms with the Falcon it may even be made locally.
I still fear they would try to price it higher than the Falcon to prevent stealing sales. I wouldn't expect a Mustang to sell for any less than $60,000. If its the 5.0, it would have to be more expensive than the 5.0 Falcons (GT, GT-P), which sell for upwards of $70,000.

I'm sure many Americans would want a RWD Ford "sport sedan", and the Falcon could fill that gap rather well.

By the way, ute doesn't need capitals ;)