• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

New Golf R32

Tomo Motorsport

*Drool...* I always loved golf's, my dad used to own a 1990 Golf GTI 16v. Awesome machine.. This one looks awesome, id get one if I could.

That is a Beautiful car! :drool:

OT(Kinda) : Whats the difference between the VR6 and the R32? talking Mk. 4

VR6 only has 15? rotation between the cylynders, whereas the R32 is a V6 (I believe, but don't know...) with something like 75% rotation (could be 90, though...)

VR is a mixture of V6 and straight6 (reihe in german) -> VR

Buba

its 90 degree and the vr6 is a 2.8L and the r32 is a 3.2L. iirc the v6 is out of the passat.

patrick10 said:
its 90 degree and the vr6 is a 2.8L and the r32 is a 3.2L. iirc the v6 is out of the passat.

The 90? 30v V6 was only used in Audi cars other than the TT, as well as the B5 Passat, which shares its platform with the B5 A4.

Unfortunately, I don't think VW is going to do any weight reduction on the Golf R36. It'll probably still be overpriced and underperforming compared to segment competition.

That weight was killer on the R32 even with a great TT setup on it.

fbc said:
It's nice, but GTI for me thanks
Same. Lighter, decent amount of power, lighter, less expensive, and above all, lighter.

Haha I was gonna make a thread about this car but the forum had a few problems. I'm wondering, would you pay extra for an R32 or would you be satisfied with an optioned up GTI. I would take the GTI I think ;)

But come on the GTI Golf is too slow. It takes ages from 0-100 km/h simply because it's so darn heavy.
This R32 must be heavy too but that extra oomfh will (propably) compansate it.

static said:
But come on the GTI Golf is too slow. It takes ages from 0-100 km/h simply because it's so darn heavy.
This R32 must be heavy too but that extra oomfh will (propably) compansate it.

That extra oomph won't compensate for the weight for where it really matters - i.e in the corners

Weight is the enemy.

The GTI and the R32 are two very different cars. Both have their good and bad points, and they both appeal to different people. The GTI owners will always poo poo the R32 and vica versa. VW openly admit that the GTI is the harder more edgy car whereas the R32 is desiged as a fast versatile sports car. Think of it as the difference between a Clio 182 and an Audi RS4. One's a no compromises hot hatch and the other is a uber fast ultra grippy saloon. The 182 would be faster through the twisties, but there's nothing to say the RS4 won't be great fun to drive and ultimately faster over a lap.

If I was in the position to be buying either an R32 or GTI, I would have to test drive both. Personally I love large capacity sonorous engines and the 4WD offers stability and ultimate traction. The GTI will be pointier and more peaky. If I was planning to modify, I'd take the R32 over the GTI. You can already get a proven 280bhp from the 3.2 (non FSI) using a new exhaust and a chip, and there is no doubting that a GTI wouldn't stand a hope in hell against that. Yes, you can get that power from the 2.0L TFSI, but you will loose the handling balance and the refinement.

If you've ever owned a VR6, and/or heard the exhaust note of the current R32, you would go for the R. Ive owned nothing but VR's my whole life, and I'm biased againt the 1.8T...Although I do like the all new 2.0T FSI...But even with the weight, VR + AWD = insta-win! Without the awd, that motor has more torque steer than a Acura TL

I like it, never was really into the whole R32 thing, but I do know that it is an impressive car.

***Anorak Warning***

Just to clear a few things up, the R36 engine will have a V angle of 10.6 degrees (not 60 or 90 as someone said) as opposed to the 15 degree angle in the R32 engine. I assume this will make the engine more compact. As an added bonus the R36 engine will be about 17.5lbs lighter than the 2.8L VR6....probably due to some german witchcraft with metal and chicken blood :twisted:

As far as i know the R32 will be a uber luxury Golf, lots of leather and gizmos and stuff but still be a bit sporty just because it can

Whereas the R36 will be a bit more hardcore and will probably try and go for the WRX market with a powerful engine, AWD and tuned suspension...hopefully they will do something about the weight too :lol:

I've driven the R32 and it is definitely not worth it's money. It's just way too heavy. As much as the all wheel drive system is cool, it just adds too much weight and it kills the car potential. the R32 would be perfectly fine if it's 240 hp would be about 3100 lbs like the golf. If they make a special eddition golf, why not have a stock stripping and have more bare bones setup such as more race ready?

basically... they need to start making rear wheel drive, it's much better.